Question for 630G users

I’m a long-time Medtronic pump user, upgraded to the 630G about a year ago.

On the Paradigm, I used to get about 5-6 weeks on a battery. Since I got the 630G, I’d been getting about 4 weeks on a battery.

For the last couple of months, I’m only getting two weeks on a battery! Does anyone have any ideas as to why this might be happening. I don’t think I’m testing any more often (7-8 times a day), so I have no idea what could possibly have changed.

Any advice/tips would be appreciated.

I have always just assumed, without ever actually experimenting to attempt to prove it, that the biggest source of battery drain on the 630G is the color screen. The only suggestion that comes to mind is to make sure you set the Backlight Timeout and Display Brightness settings in the Display Options under Utilities to their lowest possible values.

You can also try to minimize how often you view the pump’s display. That never seems to work for me because I like to check my glucose graph frequently throughout the day, but maybe it would work for others?

Finally, you don’t have to wait for the Backlight Timeout to expire to turn off the display. You can force the display to turn off by holding the “menu button” (right hand side) down for a few seconds.

Whatever the cause, I can agree with you that Medtronic’s 630G is definitely a power hog. One of the things I like least but also consider least likely to change these pumps is how quickly it eats through batteries. :sob:

I have had the 630 for about a year as well. Get about a month on the battery. I don’t know why but when I change battery it is difficult. Keeps saying needs new battery even though I just put in a new one. Takes about 5 minutes and 3-4 tries before it realizes the battery is new?

Irrational_John: Thanks so much for the advice. I just lowered the brightness and the length of time the screen stays lit.

What I don’t understand, however, is why this sudden change? The brightness and length of time were the same as they were pre-set from the factory for the entire past year…I had never changed it (or even realized that I could!), but just suddenly, about two months ago, I started having to replace the battery every two weeks instead of every four. I’ll let you know what happens with the reduce brightness and time length of lighting.

Edoshea: I initially found the battery difficult to replace because of the battery cap…it doesn’t “sit” as easily as on the Paradigm. Finally realized that you have to “push” the cap in at the same time you’re twisting it. I use the handle of one of my spoons, but you could use a wide-edged screwdriver. It makes it a lot easier. Of course, I’m not sure that’s exactly the problem you’ve been having, but worth a try, no?

You might dialing back screen brightness and to a smaller extent volume. If you are using the Medtronic sensor it will drain faster.

Also the freshness of the battery is also a factor.

i use the 670g with sensor and find I get about 10 days to two weeks on one battery.

By the way, this seems to be a really good source of batteries for me.

rick

Note: I am a Medtronic ambassador. My opinions are my own. They did not pay me to say nice things. OK, they sent me a shirt and a cup but even I am more expensive than that.

Thanks, Rick. I already dialed back the brightness and set the time the light is on back to only one minute. Hopefully that will help. I don’t use a CGM, so no extra use there.

Ruth

I set mine to the minimum of 15 seconds and that’s what I would also recommend you try.

My thinking is that if the 15 second timeout turns out to be annoying when you’re using the display, you can always increase it. But if it isn’t, then there’s a chance you’ll get more economical use of your batteries.

Setting the display timeout to 15 secs does not mean the display will go dark after 15 seconds. The timer is reset every time you press a button. For example, the timer resets when you are scrolling with the arrow buttons or navigating to a sub-menu. The 15 seconds only starts when you are no longer pressing a button. In other words, it only starts counting down when you are no longer doing anything with the pump other than possibly looking at the display.

It all depends on how you use your pump, I guess. I tend to glance at it most often. The long meaningful stares are fewer and farther between. :upside_down_face:

Also, don’t forget about pressing & holding the menu button for 2-3 seconds. This puts the pump in “sleep mode” and is a way of turning off the display without having to wait for the display timeout to expire.

Rick, I’m confused. My understanding is that Medtronic requires using lithium batteries in it’s 6xx series of pumps. But the link included in your post is for alkaline batteries.

Am I mistaken?

this is the direction from the medtronic site.

The pump requires one new AA (1.5 V) battery. For best results, use a new AA lithium (FR6) battery. The pump also accepts an AA alkaline (LR6) or a fully charged AA NiMH (HR6) nickel-metal hydride rechargeable battery.

i have always used alkaline batteries with no issues.

rick

Note: I am a Medtronic ambassador. My opinions are my own. They did not pay me to say nice things. OK, they sent me a shirt and a cup but even I am more expensive than that.

Thanks, John. Good idea…I’ll set it back to 15 seconds. Let’s face it…once I hit “go”, I don’t need the light anymore!

Hi Ruth,
I have been on a 630 for about two years and was getting 30 t0 40 days on a an Energizer. That has been great because on the Paradigm I was getting no more than 2 weeks. During the last two months it has drastically dropped to only getting 2 weeks or less. I tried a lithium ultimate Energizer this time and it has lasted 18 days so far, although I expect it to fail any time now. I was ready to contact Medtronic because I once had a pump that started to require batteries more and more often. They had me send it in for service and that corrected the problem.
Barry

Thanks for the feedback, Barry. I never had this happen on the Paradigms…those batteries (triple A’s) used to last me at least 5-6 weeks, even when the pumps were 4 years old.

Let me know how the lithium Energizer works out. I had just bought a pack of double A’s, so I’ll use them up, but if the lithium lasts longer, maybe I’ll get those next time.

Rphil2: I never even thought about using a rechargeable, but if necessary, good to know that I can.

Hi Ruth,

The lithium ultimate energizer lasted 22 days (had to change it on Christmas day). Over the last several months the regular energizers were only lasting 13 to 14 days. It’s worth a try.

Barry

Good to know…I’ll try the lithium ultimate energizer batteries when I run out of these double A’s. I probably should do a cost analysis to see if it’s worth buying a charger and a few rechargeable batteries before I make a decision.

Before I went on Medicare, my insurance company used to pay for the batteries. Medicare does not. So, at only 2 weeks per battery, this could get quite expensive over the year.