Medtronic 670 Auto Mode minimum delivery

Exactly our thoughts on our last pump switch.

The cgm data drives the pump (in any sort of integration or looping sort of situation). Garbage in - garbage out. If you don’t trust the cgm sensor/data then you can’t even start having a conversation about whether you trust any given pump in any sort of “auto” mode.

Tandem is on the verge of launching an update which is remotely downloadable and installable for its entire t:slim X2 customer base.

Basal-IQ Technology uses a simple linear regression algorithm that predicts glucose levels 30 minutes ahead based on 3 of the last 4 last consecutive CGM readings. If the glucose level is predicted to be less than 80 mg/dL, or if a CGM reading falls below 70 mg/dL, insulin delivery is suspended. Insulin delivery resumes as soon as sensor glucose values begin to rise. Insulin may be suspended for a minimum of 5 minutes and a maximum of 2 hours within a 2.5-hour rolling window.

No minimum insulin suspension period – insulin delivery can resume with first upward CGM reading.

Users have the option to request alerts when insulin is suspended and when it resumes. Patient will receive the standard CGM alerts and alarms related to low glucose levels that require attention.

The subsequent update (ie - after the impending Basal-IQ launch) from Tandem which will address the high blood sugars with a combination of automated basal and automated bolus will come in an update called Control-IQ (formerly called Hybrid Closed Loop or HCL) which is forecast to be launched (ie - available to all existing X2 customers) during Summer of 2019.

1 Like

The alarms at night were the worst for me. I think I am a light sleeper. So I always wake up. That wouldn’t be bad if I was really low. But for some reason it was never as accurate as my Dexcom. Plus I always got these out of range errors and wasn’t really out of range. I had issues with Medtronic sensors not reading a number for me at all and then I would have to do the 2 hour warm up again.

@Mack1
hey so how long have you been on the 670g? I have just switched from insulin injections to a pump. I have been on this system for about 4 months and my numbers are great. I just get frustrated with a few things and it really gets me down. the taping thing, what method do you use? Im having that issue with it both sites coming off I actually just ordered some skin tac to see if that helps. I also absolutely hate some of the alarms but i know i need to reset some of them like you said. I am wondering if more times than not my pump is just going crazy, I’ll set calibrate and then 2 seconds later it says bg required or calibration required and I’m like “i just did that!”. that happens to me quite often and i feel like its a system error. I dont know what else to make of it, but I am still new to pumps.

@Kristy13
kristy so you mentioned that your issues are with the cgm? I’m curious, how many different ones have you tried? I am on my first pump ever which is the 670g and the guardian cgm and of course Im having my issues but I’m wondering what others are like.

Hey Hilory. Been on this pump about 7 months. I use the tape that comes with the G3 sensors. It does a good job for me. The skin tac will help. Like I said disable the BG alert and life will be better. If you have big swings in your BG that may cause the BG alerts more frequently. When you start a new sensor try to have a stable low BG and for the next day try to keep the BG from big ups and downs as the pump calibrates. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Hi Hilory,
I currently have the Medtronic 530G pump. This one uses the Enlite sensors. I also used to have the Minimed Paradigm pump. The pumps have been good for me. I just have had better accuracy with my Dexcom CGMs. I have Hypounawareness so a CGM is more important to me than the pump type. I just wish I could try out the device before buying.
If you are having issues with it I would definitely call customer service to see how they can help. Plus I think they might be able to replace sensors or pump supplies if you have issues.

Hi Mack,
Did your prior Medtronic pumps have the CGM? Do you feel the new 670G has better accuracy than previous CGMs?
Thanks.

I have been woken up at nigh, way too often by that dang minimum delivery alarm. MM support line says there is nothing they can do to fix this. Sometimes, TWICE a night. It is a love hate relationship with the 607G. I wished I had read this review prior to buying the pump:

deleted

The 670G does this, I also get a alarm for max insulin delivered for 2 hours as well as the low. I was told this happens because the pump is looking for human interaction after a period of time. I know its a pain I deal with it all the time usually I shut off the audio alarm and then put the pump off to the side so I don’t feel it vibrating. It will go into safe basal and keep asking for a BG then go into manual mode were your manual basal will take over. I depend on my senses like I did before the pumping started…

Trish

Dave44 The Guardian sensors can be right on or way off. Day 1 is allot of BG readings and calibrations Day 2 is easier then depending how long you get out of the sensor the last day gets crazy again. I have got 7 days or only 4 hrs of a sensor. If they are under or over read by to much they may expire early. Transmitter issues also cause issues. I believe medtronics pushed the 670g out to early.

Trish

1 Like

I changed my insulin duration to 2.75 hrs.

EXACTLY! I hate the message when Auto Mode has been running at a minimum for 2 1/2 hours and a BG is required. If my BGs are within normal range then leave me alone and continue to do your job, 670! I feel like I test my BGs more often on the 670 only “to keep my pump happy.”

1 Like

The Enlite sensors were never very good, I almost gave up on them. But we are talking about the Guardian 3, which is infinitely better.

deleted>

deleted.

I sometimes have this problem as well. I haven’t found any ways to avoid it yet (although it does sometimes get better over time), but something I sometimes does when I expect this to happen is use the Alert Silence feature. This does, however, mean taking the risk of not getting other alerts that maybe you do want, but I am sometimes willing to make this sacrifice in order to get more undisturbed sleep.

hi @Hilory when you get the multiple requests for calibration and bg, ignore the pump for about 30-60 minutes which, I believe, gives it time to process both the bg you input and sensor reading. It could also be the sensor is bad and should be replaced. I had the same issue and talked to Medtronic which were their recommendations.
I’ve been on a pump for 21 years and started on the 670 last December. I’m still learning new things about it.

GUESS WHAT I JUST LEARNED ABOUT ???
ISIG VALUES!
so I heard the term before but didn’t know really what it was or how it affected the sensor. I ended up troubleshooting with someone from medtronic and they explained it all to me. they said the magic number for the isig value was 18 so if its anything under that, then it will not calibrate and keep asking for bgs. now that i’m aware of that, before i check my sugar i check the isig value which is on the pump, and if its under i know i just have to keep waiting. and yes I was waiting at first like they told me for about an hour but there was a few times where it still wouldn’t accept my bg i was so frustrated. I was also wondering about how long i was going to be able to keep ignoring the pump before i learned about the isig value but life’s a little easier now that i was taught yet another aspect of the pump and sensor.

The alarms for “been at minimum for 4 hours or maximum for 4 hours” is a safety thing. Its kind of like, “Hey…I know your reading now is 110, but I havent given you much insulin for a few hours…you might wanna check to be sure.” Vice versa for maximum.

1 Like