Medtronic 770/780

I highly urge you to pay attention to the details before you make a future decision. You’ve voiced some inaccuracies in this comment. Yes, Medtronic has announced partnership with Dexcom and Tidepool… FINALLY But it’s for “future development” They have not put forth any timeframe, and it is highly unlikely to be with the 770/780. The announcement serves little point than to keep disgruntled customers holding on.

Also, the FDA-approved version of Tidepool loop will be very different than the DYI loop current users know and love. It will be controlled by the prescribing physician, for one. I’m not even sure a Tidepool partnership alone would actually enable the use of other sensors. The pump of choice would have to be programmed to receive specific sensor data, as I can’t imagine the RileyLink being a part of an approved looping system.

So no, Tandem did not partner with Tidepool. They instead partnered with Type Zero for their semi-closed loop system. But Tandem will be allowing Libre sensors as soon as one receives the ACE designation for use with a pump, which none have yet.

That’s just flat wrong Medtronic has no such app at all. There is a CGM app, but not one for connectivity to any pump yet. (I’m not counting their virtual pump “try on” app) Tandem was first to the market with a compatible app for the t:slim X2, T:connect. They’ll likely also be first to the market with pump control via the same phone app. It was submitted for FDA-approval separately from the app itself, so as not to delay the initial app release. We’re just pending FDA-approval for the control aspect. In fact, their next pipeline product won’t even have a screen. It’s completely depending on that cell phone control aspect.

Please don’t let yourself be swayed by persuasive propoganda. Perhaps the 770/780 might indeed be the pump for you, but you can’t make that decision on deliberately misleading press releases.

I’m not endorsing tidepool or Medtronic but once again another option to consider. In the end, a open eco system will win. Goods news is I don’t work for any of these companies but rather but I "m a DIYlooper. In fact I have been very frustrated with Medtronic first gen 670 and have been looking at tandem as option as well. Good news is Medtronic has fixed a lot of issues with their new system and will allow better target ranges than the prev generation. My point is the phone app is available for Medtronic newer pumps for display only for now. Rileylink is not used at all for either. Finally, tidepool is adapting some of the code from Dyi movement which is also promising. At minimal this will allow 780 and omnipod users the option for more looping options and other sensors, watches etc is the goal but will probably be a year or less or tidepool loop will never get off the ground. Testing has already started. All pump companies and even diabetics should consider standing behind this. Diabetics can have flexibility of choice and not be tied to any one company. The goal would be avoid vendor lock in and drive better interoperability. It would be nice to get confirmation from tandem on libre as there seems to be no update and their ace roadmap may have changed as truly the dexcom partnership is what has enabled tandem success partly. Who knows what will happen. Both Medtronic sensors and abbott would be a good option once they get it together as the dexcom product simply costs a lot of money making the pump cheap in comparison for cash paying and insurance customers over time. Libre is a great example of 30 dollar sensor and 14 wear. Accuracy has improved and through the use of Bluetooth you can now relay readings. That being said, Medtronic is not cheap either at 60 dollars per unit via Guardian but less money when you look at TCO . Sadly as a android aps Looper, all of this is available now and then some but it would dumb down these companies to concentrating on who can come up with the best pump only and not the loop part. Allow users to choose sensors and other best of breed technology and open up lots of new possibilities. This is the tidepool vision initially. My personal opinion is Medtronic knows many people like dexcom over its sensors so it needs a way to offer other options. Too much money is at risk. Finally, there seems to be some noise on some extended wear infusion sets that Medtronic is coming out with next year. Probably available to Medtronic guys first and then OEM to others. Anyone have deeper insight here on the new infusion technology ? Also attaching a view from smartphone of Android APS and commodity sensor ! This is where we need to go.

libre is factory calibrated but you can calibrate it using bubblan and Mia Mia o Bluetooth apps. Lots of DIY loopers do this and people who don’t like the factory calibration or simply cannot afford the prices of dexcom. Works great and very accurate. However, you need a Bluetooth bridge which tapes on the sensor which will go away with the new libre 3. Just a waiting game… When it is released dexcom will finally have to drop their price as libre is a third of the cost. These Bluetooth extenders are great and have turned low cost libre into a cgm given no scanning required. You cannot simply replace your integrated sensor if you a looping though for Medtronic or tandem with libre as they are not supported. You can however use it untethered.

Hi. Chiming in quickly to offer a couple of clarifying points re: Tidepool Loop. (I am Tidepool’s Community and Clinic Success Manager)

While Tidepool Loop is still in development and has not yet been submitted to the FDA, here’s what I can share about what we are intending to deliver.

The goal with Tidepool Loop is a fully interoperable system. You pick the pump and CGM that work for you (or are covered by Insurance because of course that’s a factor) and the app is simply receiving CGM data and sending commands to an insulin pump - all via direct Bluetooth communication (so no RileyLink). Our partners, so far, are Insulet, Dexcom, and Medtronic. This means when the development dust settles, you will be able to use Tidepool Loop with a Dexcom CGM and a Medtronic pump.

Yes, there’s a lot that goes into integrating a new device into Tidepool Loop, but that’s our concern, not yours :slight_smile:

As far as clinicians are concerned, yes, Tidepool Loop will require a prescription. And that prescription will include your initial settings (ideally set up in collaboration with you), but once you are using Tidepool Loop, you are using Tidepool Loop and are free to make adjustments to your settings just as you would with any other insulin management approach (pump, pens, whatever).

9 Likes

Very promising news for Medtronic pump users!!:+1:

I have been using the 770G since early December, and was in the early adopter program for the 670G back in 2016. I have been using Minimed/Medtronic pumps since 1999 (started with the 508). A couple of points/comments on a few topics brought up here:

• Functionally, the 770G is exactly the same as the 670G, with a couple of very minor exceptions. I was told that it had an “updated” algorithm, but I have not noticed any change in how it works in the real world. I really soubt that much of any changes were made to the delivery algorithm.
  • It uses the same sensors (Guardian3) as the 670G, but with a new transmitter. While the Guardian3 was better than previous sensors (some of which were pretty worthless), I still had some trouble with it previously. The Guardian3 with the new transmitter does seem to be significantly better, and I have had no issues with it for the past 2 months.
  • It does have a smartphone app, communicating via Bluetooth, but it only displays a very few bits of data from the pump (not the sensor). There is no control of the pump from the app, but the app can automatically transmit data to CareLink. I consider it fairly worthless for me. Hopefully it will start being worth something in future iterations.
  • Overall, I have been mostly happy with the 670G/770G. The 3 biggest problems I have with the it is that it does not adjust basil levels enough to handle higher BG level much at all. Also, the temporary BG target is pretty useless as well (adjusts from the normal 120 to 140). While the temp BG target does have a timer, the suspend mode does not … very short sighted, IMHO, and has caused me real trouble if I forget that I have suspended the pump.

The 780G is due out sometime this year (already available in Europe, I have heard), and it is supposed to address all of these shortcomings. It will be available as a firmware update for the 770G. The 770G has done a pretty good job for me, but I really hope that the 780G sufficiently addresses the three issues in the final bullet above. I have been told by Medtronic reps that they have made great strides in all three, but we’ll wait and see.

I appreciate your comments, this is what I was initially waiting to hear. However, I went ahead and made the switch after talking to some of the peds endos. I can honestly say it has been the BEST decision ever. It makes me a little sad to say that bc I was loyal to medtronic for a good 25 years starting in the early 90s. However, the dexcom CGM, for one, is better in every single way from the Guardian. The insertion is better, it is more reliable, it’s doesn’t need to be calibrated, it stays in longer, it stays on better…I can’t emphasize enough how much better it is. I haven’t checked my blood sugar in days and yet am in the tightest control of my life. The tandem pump also seems so much more modern, of course, you still have to put carbs in in a timely manner and count accurately… but it WORKS for the basal. The last medtronic rep I spoke to was so understanding and felt i like she was the first person from the company to actually listen to all my complaints, I really want to call her back and tell her to change jobs! It seems disingenuous for her to keep anyone on medtronic when this system seems so much better .

2 Likes

Also, my a1c is down from 8.4 to 6.5 since changing. Part of that is being on a low carb diet the past 3 weeks, but most of the credit goes to tandem/dexcom.

1 Like

I like the screens on my tandem too and the dexcom really makes it work.
However I think most pump companies will remove interfaces from the pumps because everyone will use their phones to control them.
Tandem already had one in the works.
It makes sense. We don’t need the screen on our pumps if we can use our phone. Some rudimentary blousing is still needed in case your phones is lost or dead.
If Medtronic had open source to allow dexcom, I would still have a Medtronic pump.
My old pump was still working after 6.5 years just scratched up a bit.

Congrats @Annie2 on the A1Cs … that is quite an improvement, and quite an achievement. The Guardian sensors were such an improvement from previous generations that I’ve been able to maintain in the 6.5-6.8 range since I started with the 670G back in 2016. The sensors prior to that were almost worthless for me. I had actually stopped using them, as they were never very accurate, and the insertion process of the earlier ones were very painful.

I had not known about the Tandem pump until I saw this conversation. Looks like a good solution, and I am glad it is working so well for you and others.

@Timothy … I am not sure that I would like a pump without a screen. While I would like a functional phone app (the current Medtronic one is almost worthless, IMO … I hardly ever use it), seems to me having only that would add complexity and delay to basic functions. For example, if I want to just glance and see where my BG is, I just pull out the pump from its case and look at it. I can also see trends for the past 3 hours with just the push of a single button. With only a phone app, I would have to pull the phone out, unlock it, launch the app, wait for it to grab the latest data from the pump … lot of steps just to do something so simple. Also, as you mention, phones getting lost or dying seems would be a big concern for a life-sustaining device like a pump. Not a fear of technology … I have worked in IT for the past 40 years. Maybe it is a generational thing (I am almost 65 … not sure how old @Timothy is). It’ll be interesting to see where things go in this regard. But personally, I hope that on-device screens do not go away.

Except that’s what widgets, always on displays, and even the option to display that info directly on your lockscreen are for. That information would be readily at hand, and not limited to the small pump screen size. You would most likely still need to open the app to bolus, at least in the beginning. But it’s simpler than you describe.
Clicking on the widget that’s front and center on your home screen would open the app. But I wouldn’t be surprised if they added a “quick response” feature to the notifications, just like we see now with text messaging, that would allow you to deliver a correction bolus right from the notification.

I am through the moon excited for Tandem to launch their new T:sport (in-house working name, may be different at launch) pump! It’s expected out right about the time my current warranty ends. And it will have the option of a dedicated controller, just like Omnipod’s PDM, in case of a mobile phone problem. Similarly, you can still bolus without your mobile or PDM, the patch pump will have a button on it to allow the same “quick bolus” feature current Tandem users already know and love, where each button press equals a certain amount of insulin or carbs you specify in setup. My only concern is that the T:slim X2 is vastly more capable than the original T:slim. I’m scared they might release an improved X2 version of the T:sport right after I sign up for the original… But I suppose that’s a concern we all face when choosing a new pump.

Which leads me to my next question…

How is this so? I’m trying to understand how one comes to purchase a new pump with zero knowledge of the options available. I don’t mean it as a criticism of you, either, but there’s an inherent flaw in the process if we’re making uninformed choices… Or having uninformed choices thrust upon us. Did nobody at your doctor’s office discuss the options? Did it just never occur to you that there might be other options worth exploring? Have you never seen any mention or advertisement of Tandem in your doctor’s office or on social media, tv, etc…?

It’s quite possible that a Medtronic pump is indeed the best option for you. I think Tandem is far superior in every facet, but I fully accept that’s my personal opinion and not shared by all. If nothing else, the competition in the marketplace drives product improvement on all sides. And I do believe that the 780 is a much better product than their 670 model that so many were dissatisfied but stuck with, thanks mostly to a patent-sharing agreement they reached with Tandem. But the lack of forthcoming information irks me to no end. It shouldn’t be so difficult to make fully informed choices.

@Robyn_H … I am aware of always on displays, etc. I am just a believer in having as few ‘pieces’ in the middle between point A and Point B (in this case, point A being my BG and insulin delivery system, and point B being me). In most situations where you have a point A and B, it is often the stuff in the middle that causes most of the problems. For something like this, phones get lost, get left someplace where you are not, battery runs out … about a hundred other things. I know that, using just the phone to control your pump is the preference for some … more power to them, and let them have at it. It is just not for me. Having a good phone app is great, but I’d rather have access to the system itself.

As far as not knowing about the Tandem pump. I am a long time (20+ years) user of MiniMed/Medtronic pumps. Overall, I have been quite satisfied with them. In the past, each time I was ready to upgrade to something else, I did extensive research on the options available, and always ended up back with Medtronic. Maybe not best for you or anyone else (there seems to be a lot of Medtronic-bashing by some that goes on in Diabetes forums), but it has worked well for me.

I looked back at the info I gather the last did extensive research (2016, when I ended up with the 670G), and I did find some info on the Tandem pump. But I also found notes that I was unimpressed with it. I saw the 670G as the clear winner for me at that point. Unlike some that had problems with the 670G, it did work well for me (despite its quirks). As I have been satisfied with Medtronic, didn’t see anything that seemed significantly better when I (quickly) looked around the marketplace last fall, and the 780G was supposed to address the things I (and everyone) struggled with in the 670G, I chose to stay with them.

So, your comments that I (and others) are making decisions with ‘zero information’ seems a bit harsh. I research as much as I can and need to in order to make the choices I make. Just because I came to a different conclusion than you, and simply forgot about previously looking at the Tandem, means that I made my decision with zero information is simply false. Just because one wraps their comments with a phrase like “I don’t mean it as a criticism of you”, and then proceeds to slap them down, doesn’t make it right. Let’s all try and be a bit more kind and respectful of each other’s choices.

Actually, I think you’ve misunderstood me. When I ask “why” or “how”, it’s because I’m honestly curious about why and how things come to be. I’m a scientist, it’s my nature to ask those questions! I fully respect your choice to evaluate the options and make an informed choice for Medtronic. I think it’s great we have options, as we all want different things. What you described just now is indeed an informed decision. You’ll get ZERO dispute from me about a “right” or a “wrong” choice between the two if you looked at the options and chose differently than me.

But that’s not what you said… You said:

It was your own words that suggested to me the 770/780 was an uninformed decision. How can you have looked into something you never heard of? Am I missing something here? It’s the notion of the choices being made for us, taken out of our own hands, or getting heavily influenced by biased parties that upsets me.

I was sincere when I said I wasn’t criticizing you and your choice, and I’m sorry it came across otherwise. Though I’m sure I’m one you perceive as a “Medtronic basher”, so it’s understandable. I am blunt, and that may even come across the internet as rude, but I’m not a mean person. I’ve just learned that when I sugar coat things I type, I’m too passive and the message gets lost.

My criticism isn’t towards the patients, but rather the medical industry that informs them. We can’t just go to Walmart to compare boxes, features, and prices. We can’t just look on Amazon for the 5-star reviews. We’re at the mercy of an entire industry that cares more about making deals, shaking hands, and profit earnings, than they care about patient advocacy and the best treatment options… So we have to advocate for ourselves, and many don’t know how to do that. It’s not exactly a skill we teach our children. We teach them to trust those in charge, not question them.

My criticisms are towards the insurance companies that choose what devices we’re allowed. It’s for the companies calling to renew a contract before the patient has an opportunity to survey the competition. It’s for the fact that we never actually have to sign a contract! Thankfully I had already decided on Tandem before I find out their “Get started now!” web form. But I thought I was just initiating a benefits check, not making a final commitment. To this day, I still don’t know how I was shipped a pump 3 days later with a 4 year commitment, for which I did NOTHING but give them my info. I assumed I would have to sign a contract and a purchase agreement, but everything happened in the background without me. But mostly, my criticism is for the indoctrinated doctors that show loyalty to one company and choose not to educate themselves on the available options, so they can’t pass on reliable information to patients. There is only 1 Endo within 3.5 hours of my home, and they were one of those. I went against their medical advice when choosing the Tandem, and while they signed the necessary prescriptions, they treated me with disdain and told me “we won’t be having any more of THAT here!”, when explaining why they removed the uploading software the Tandem rep installed for them. It was my last appointment, I was summarily dismissed. I had to find someone who wasn’t under Medtronic’s sphere of influence to write my scripts, and I was only able to do this because I’ve been able to self-manage so successfully. If I was a patient who required a doctor’s assistance in managing my diabetes, she would reuse me and send me back to the Endo. I would have no choice at all and would have been forced on Medtronic. The entire rural western slope of Colorado is in this boat. THIS is what upsets me.

When you said you never heard of Tandem, I didn’t think anything ill of you, I was mad FOR you and your being another victim of our screwed up medical system and not being given a choice, heavily influenced by my own negative experiences… because that’s what I understood your comment to mean…

1 Like

You are correct. My wording, as well as my memory apparently, were not working as well as I would have liked.

Your frustration with your doc is understandable, and we all share your frustration with the insurance pharma industries. I am very fortunate to have an Endo that is not slanted to one manufacturer or another.

Glad you are happy with your pump now, but the sign-up methods that Tandem used on you (and most likely many others) would be enough to make me re-think using them for a future purchase. So sorry that you had to go thru that.

1 Like

Does anyone actually sign purchase agreements and contracts? This was my first pump. I just assumed it was how Medtronic and Insulet worked too. I had to intercede with the Medtronic rep that thankfully called me, because that Endo started the process for me. I don’t know if they would have ever asked me to sign anything.

FYI for all those getting the free upgrade to the new Medtronic 770g pump and CGM system. Connection to a meter can only be done with a AccuCheck meter, Contour meters do not sync with new pump. FYI before you go and buya 3 month supplier of test strips for a meter that now does not link to pump. @Amanda_Sheldon_Medtr @IHMedtronic would have been nice if Medtronic communicated that to customers before they upgraded and could have updated there Rx. Now Im stuck with 3 month supply of test strips and meter that doesnt link with pump. I have to hand enter everything. YEAH!!! #communicationkeytoanyrelationship. Thanks for a great start to my new pump, I will be waiting 3 months. Also thanks to the CS team that when I called did not apologize one time for the problem or say “hey we help you out”.

I cannot stress enough how happy I am with switching to the Tandem/Dexcom system. It makes my medtronic pump seem like a dinosaur. I would encourage anyone eligible for upgrade to look into it. Also, my brother found out that Tandem will lease you a pump ($$) for a few years if you want to switch before warranty expires on your previous.

1 Like

I just watched a presentation on the 770 from Medtronic in Canada. Waste of time. I currently use a 630G and the freestyle Libre (not sure if it’s a 1 or 2.) I have used Medtronic pumps for 10 years. I have tried all the sensors now: Libre, Dexcom, Guardian. And 2 brands of pumps Medtronic and Tandem.
I was recently in a study of a closed loop system/algorithm using the Tandem pump and a Dexcom G6. Obviously we want simple, easy, quality and precision. The end result: There is no better sensor on the market than Dexcom. It’s not even close. NOT EVEN CLOSE. G6 wins. (I wore the sensors at the same time). And the sensor is the most important piece of the setup. Its output IS the goal; blood glucose. The second most important thing is the tool used to administer insulin in response to bG and achieve that goal: the pump. Medtronic pumps are way better in their setup, ease of use. That t-slim thing is not the greatest. Set up, de-airing with a needle? Really? 20 units wasted to prime etc. It’s interface is “modern” but not really that good. But it’s ok and will get the job done. The ideal setup is a Dexcom G6 with a Medtronic pump in communication. That does not exist. Not sure it ever will cuz Medtronic has not given it up that they lost the sensor battle. My plan is to use the G6 (getting it soon) and Medtronic manually until either. 1. Medtronic makes a sensor as good or better than Dexcom (why can’t Medtronic make a sensor?). 2. The tandem becomes a better pump 3. Medtronic communicates with Dexcom. If I had nothing in hand and was diagnosed today I’d get the G6 and the Tandem.

1 Like

I completely agree. After switching the dexcom/tandem after medtronic for 25 years, I can confidently say that dexcom is better in EVERY way than medtronic’s sensor. It’s unfortunate for what used to be a leader in the pump industry. I actually also prefer the tandem pump bc of the modern interface and the control IQ seems to work ok sometimes, but not any worse than medtronic.

There is something which I think is always missing from posts like these. It’s the caveat, “For me”. The G6 is the best sensor on the market FOR ME.

I have used both Medtronic CGM and now the G6 Dexcom CGM. Both worked adequately for me. The main reason I am using the G6 now is I wanted to switch to the Tandem X2 with C:IQ to see how it worked for me. I am happy enough with the G6 and, for me, there are currently several things I think it does better than Medtronic’s CGM.

But that’s just my opinion. I’m not in a position to speak for everyone, everywhere.

If about 4 years from now I think I will prefer Medtronic’s pump but it would require switching back to Medtronic’s CGM, that would not be a problem for me. I’ve been OK with Medtronic’s CGM in the past and am optimistic I could use it again in the future.