Medtronic Quickset Recall

I received my recall letter and box of sets from MM yesterday. All my sets were from Lot 8, and looking back on it, I’ve been having a lot more trouble than usual with knocking down highs. Some of my correction boluses seemed to have absolutely no effect, which is unusual for me. Kinda makes me wonder. Sounds like they are handling it the best they can though.

I went to the website to fill out the form as well and it didn’t work properly so I called Medtronics and held for 45 minutes before getting help. The website is so overloaded; they advised that their IT people are working on it.

I received the package in the mail with the recall information and it mentioned that all lot 8 users would be notified by July 10th. I’m betting yours is in the mail, as they say.

I just got a replacement of quicksets today with a letter about the recall. I just started my pump a month a go, and the only quicksets I have used are the Lot #8’s. I don’t know if my numbers have been crazy because of the recall or I just started pumping. I guess I will find out. As always I have my good days and my bad ones too.

I received a replacement box, as my original prescription is for quick-sets. I use Silhouette’s most of the time.

I’m glad they are proactively sending some replacements though!

same here, for several months I have not been responding as well to some corrections and have problems with no delivery messages. I am changing to sure- t’s

Marcus,
A BIG thank-you. I would not have known about this except through TUDiabetes! As of today (7/11/09) I have NOT heard from either Minimed or my supplier! I have nothing but the “Lot 8’s”, 4 boxes. It really upsets me that my supplier has not attempted to contact me. It seems my supplier should have dropped shipped me a few sets until I could return the boxes I have. I’m under very tight control and have noticed at least two circumstances where I received excess insulin. I fly often and both instances where while flying. Again, thank for your “heads up” Marcus and a big thanks to TUDiabetes.!!!

I receive my supplies from Merck Medco…so far they have not sent out replacements…I called medtronics and they are shipping me an emergency couple of sets overnight…they indicated the problem was the air holes at the top of the vial…they need to open so you get insulin in, and close to stop…well sometimes they don’t open and sometimes they don’t close…so less than you should get or more…bad part, if they stay open then you get continuous drip and your pump does not know it or factor it in…the failure rate is around 2% so if you have 50 of them, chances are one will not be good, the others ok. But they don’t want the risk and neither do I. Since I had my pump registered with medtronics I am upset they did not send me a notice, I got it days later thru merck medco. And even though they say to contact your supplier, ignore that, suppliers don’t have new ones yet so call and ask for emergency shipment.

I just returned home from a trip to the West Coast. While flying I suffered low’s going and coming. Now I understand why as the lot 8 infusion sets may not have been wotking properly. It now makes sense why I have had a hard time controling my blood sugars.

For the past 16 months I have been sick more times than in my entire life. Several hospitalizations with the worst being last summer when my mother found me so close to death I was mottled all up my legs. Mottling is what happens to ones skin when nearing the end of the dying process. My kidneys had shut down and I came out of the coma blinded. I spent several weeks in intensive care and several more in a regular ward. Miraculously, I recovered from that incident. This June I ended up again in the hospital with acidosis again. My numbers go wicked high and wicked low at random. Interestingly, when I was speaking with a medtronics employee who told me those sets had been in use since January 2008- which is the date of my first round of hospitalizations. I myself ordered replacements when I saw the recall and I have yet to see those OR the replacements directly from medtronic, who in their OVERNIGHT recall letter, explained how to RETURN the defective lot 8’s, but couldn’t manage to send ME what I needed-replacement sites!

I also have experienced really high blood sugars from the defective lot 8. It caused me to have to change my set multiple times a day for 2 weeks, and my blood sugars would never come down… consequently I would be in the 400 range all day long. I was very frustrated about the whole situation, and was switching insulin bottles and sets constantly. The day that I was going to call Medtronic and my doctor to try to figure out what was wrong with my body, I got the letter from Medtronic about lot 8. That really pissed me off. :frowning:

This is scary! There are posts from early 2008 about problems with sets and Metronic! I have my pump, and this stuns me that it took until the 9s were available to recall the 8s!

It’s pretty scary. When i returned my boxes, i realized I was returning an opened box of 9mm that I hadn’t used in over a year!! I had a lot of no delivery alarms during boluses, so I switched to 6 mm, but still had problems. It got to a point one day last month where I literally had to change my set 4 times in a day.That was the last straw for me. I switched to the sils and have had great #'s and no problems (knock on wood!). Here I thought there was something wrong with me, but now I’m wondering how long I’ve been using those lot 8 sets???

I figured I was useing them about 3 or 4 years. I can remember the first sets I got were kind of hard to click on the resevoir and the lot8’s were easier with the lube. The new ones I got last week were harder to connect like the originals.

I think Medtronic should have to replace all the sets…doesn’t matter where you purchased them, they are defective! I have 3 boxes I did not get directly from Medtronic…nothing but hassles!

I received my letter and one replacement box of sets & tried one of the new sets. My bg went very high regardless of correction boluses and after about 8-9 hours I got the “no delivery” alarm. I tried to call Medtronic. I spoke to someone who was dealing specifically with questions about the recall; he said I needed to speak to someone in another area and transferred me. I got tired of waiting after 30 minutes and gave up. I went on the fda website and reported it. The lot # is 2209025. I wondered if anyone else had trouble with this lot #.
I’m so ready for a non-Medtronic pump.

Budda understands:) I have 3 boxes I got donated to me…hate to see them go to waste but have NO ONE to return them to because the manufacturer is only thinking of profits…vs. safety;) Budda thinks the government should force MM to replace ALL defective sets!

Thanks for the heads up Erin:) I have had the same thing happen some time back…was not Lot 8 and did not happen w/ every set in the box…I thought it was me! I wish I had saved the box. Take care and hope it gets resolved for you. They should replace the box!

One of my pumper buddies here in my community , BC , Canada had lot 8 Quick sets …2 boxes .Canada Medtronic has exchanged the faulty ones .Customers did receive a letter from MM Canada advising every one of this problem, I understand…ofcourse TU members knew of this already :wink: with thanks for posting !!

Marcus,
I am new to tudiabetes. I found this site due to the quick set recall. I am very excited about the connection with other diabetics and their experiences. I was using the quick set lot #8 in my pump when I had a horrendous day of low BG. I ended up having a car accident. I had installed a new set the moring of the accident. I had my quarterly visit with my doctor that moring. I was healthy. I struggled with my low BG all day. I had the car accident driving home at night. So be it. I am most upset with the treatment that I have recieved from the Medtronic people. I asked for information from my frist contact person with Medtronic. I didn’t get my questions answered. I was promised by the second person that I talked with at Medtronic that they would get back to me. They didn’t. I sent a letter to the president of the commpany. I have recieved no reply. Why? Yes, I am frustrated and angry. I am pursuing a few options that include selling my pump and purchasing a pump from another supplier. I will be looking at other diabetics experiences with there pumps to help me determine what to do.

No it isn’t too late,

Medtronic Quickset Recall

• Posted by Marcus on July 8, 2009 at 9:53am in Insulin Pumpers Forum
  • Send Message View Discussions

he posted the message in July …