Meeting another Type!

Noticed another student at my University wearing an insulin pump and stopped and chatted with her a bit. IDK if others feel this way, but I find it so exciting meeting another Type 1 :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Statistically there are not that many of us. It is interesting, and exciting, to meet another one of us in the wild! I recently met another T1D at a coffee shop by spotting his Dexcom receiver attached to his belt. He was an older gentleman in his 80s and also had a small hypo-alert dog.

4 Likes

I’m not Type 1 but I do wear a pump, I would also be excited to meet another pump wearer. I once ran across a young lady at the supermarket wearing a pump, it was all I could do to keep from approaching her. In the end I decided it might cause concern if an older gentleman such as myself tried to, out of the blue, strike up a conversation with a pretty young lady half my age.

3 Likes

We’ve seen Pods and pumps on the softball field and at dance competitions. I always remember those opposing teams bc of that, not because of their skills. lol

Caleb had a year of dance with three pumpers in his tap class - of maybe 14 kids on total. Seems like unusual odds to me!

1 Like

Nonsense!

2 Likes

I don’t know us old geezers have to be careful around pretty young ladies. To easy to be mistaken for a pervert.

1 Like

We do live in an age when perhaps too many people operate with a hair trigger. Sad, but it is what it is.

1 Like

I actually had two other type ones worming in my office for awhile, and now there is still one other.

I never speak about diabetes with them though. I always am hesitant to engage with other diabetics in public, I tend to feel like I don’t want to make them feel uncomfortable. These days I am far more particular with what I eat and how I control my diabetes. I often feel like people will feel I’m judging them if we engage, what if they aren’t as particular as me? I don’t want them to feel bad just because I’ve decided for me, not drinking alcohol is the best approach, but they are happy having a beer at our Christmas party.

Maybe I overthink this though :joy:

3 Likes

Maybe, who knows, In my world it Ok to make different choices as long as I do not criticize those that do not share my ways. I would try with the other T1, you may just have more in common than you realize.

4 Likes

My son would have considered that an opportunity :slight_smile:

1 Like

I look at it rather differently. At about 0.5% of the population (in Scotland), if I am lecturing to 300 students I expect that 1 or 2 of them will be T1.

You should follow your intuition in these areas. There are enough older men who do not have the propriety gene or have the good sense to be feel embarrassment.

I would have talked to the pretty young lady half my age! I would also have talked to her if she were not pretty or if the “she” was a he. Clearly, if this caused embarrassment to the other person, I would conclude the conversation quickly. But I think the more likely situation is that she is struggling with some aspects of diabetes and would welcome further discussion. As we’ve noted many times on this forum, we are likely to be more educated about diabetes than most and sometimes even more than our doctors, as well. And if it turns out that she knows more than I do, that’s OK too. If this “sweet young thing” considers me a pervert for commenting on her pump, that’s her problem, not mine. But in most cases, I think that’s not going to happen.

1 Like

My thought process is the same.

2 Likes

I never reveal that I am a type 1 diabetic in the institutions where I work, since I have found in places that have found out about my condition there is always some form of discrimination against me. But when I have found other people who are open with their type 1 diabetes, I have always been freaked out, since I have consistently noticed a mincing, slouching, apologetic, ineffectual manner in them which has immediately made me worry that I unconsciously act that way myself.

I just noticed —

The thread title talks about a Type! (Type-exclamation point). I like that much better than Type One.

2 Likes

True, but considering that the two symbols are on the same key, it may just be a typo. No way to be sure.

It is always interesting! Although I don’t know any other Type 1s in my town, I’ve met three through my work while traveling: two colleagues and the wife of a coworker.

Ya know, you really might want to consider how your language comes across to others, at least on occasion. On the other hand, I’m pretty sure no one has ever described me as “mincing” or “ineffectual,” although I’m sure I’ve both slouched and apologized on occasion.

Are you intentionally trying to insult other Type 1s, or are you just unaware of what you are saying?

A woman (wife of a coworker) I had dinner with last night is openly Type 1. She works internationally in global health, frequently traveling to central Africa and Southeast Asia. She gives talks in front of the UN and the WHO on health inequity, and she was inspired to enter this field because of her recognition of how fortunate she was to develop Type 1 while living in the U.S.

Mincing, slouching, apologetic, and ineffectual? That says far more about you than it does about any other Type 1 you’ve met or are likely to in the future.

3 Likes

David 49: I’m just describing what I’ve seen. Since I too am a type 1 diabetic, and for a very much longer time than almost anyone else on this forum, it is simply absurd to assume that I am somehow prejudiced against myself or my own group!