Metformin

hello diabetes pep's,

i started taking metformin er and now if a walk more than half a block, my legs get extremly fatigued and some muscle cramps. Is it just me or are other people having the same side effects?

Its one of the listed side effects. you need to let your doc know immediately, as that isn’t normal and could wind up being something serious. I’m not on it, but some people here have reported it, and the docs took them off it immediately when they reported it to them. Please let the dock know as soon as you can, and then please let us know what happens (what he/she says…)

thanks solobaricsrock. i told them and they are all stumped. Notice, I said they, as in 3 different doctors. Its really annoying because i have a bad reaction to every medication i’ve taken. Metformin seemed to be the miracle drug but after about 4 months, I started to get side effects. I think im going to stop taking it an try and control my diabetes by diet alone.

Well I cant recommend that as I’m no doctor, but I can comment to what others have said about this drug and the experiences they have had. Just make sure they know what s going on so that if it comes down to it you have backup for your backup. Maybe they need to try different dosing(s) or something like that to reduce the effects…but again, ask the doc’s.

The most common side effects of metformin are abdominal discomforts, like diarrhea, nausea, gas and indigestion. Although some may also have headaches and signs of lactic acidosis, including feeling tired or weak, muscle pain. Ask your doctor about diabetes neuropathy…or it may also be a completely different symptom distinct from metformin like dehydration, low on calcium, potassium and magnesium, or inadequate blood supply or thyroid disorder.

It seems I had about all the side effects that you describe. That was one of the reasons I stop taking meds. That was about 2 years ago. Now I eat very little carbs (my favorite). Have become more physical active, Swim early morning - 25min fitness classes in afternoon and take dogs for a walk after dinner. All I am trying to say it is possible to control BG with out meds, it just takes a lot more effort

yea, so I called me doctor,he says it may be because i’m using a generic drug and sometimes the side effects are worse with them. He recommended a brand name metformin instead. I’ll try it and see how it goes. thanks for the imput though.

I never had cramps when I was on Metformin, but my BG would divebomb every time I exercise (usually several miles from home on a jog) so I quit taking it and went to diet + actos. I am not sure the actos does anything, either.

Yes its one of the side effects I have been on Metformin for about 3 years now though no side effects at all…Noticeable ones anyway