Milestones

As of today, I have lost more than forty pounds since my diagnosis in May. That’s a lot of miles I’ve walked and run, a lot of carbs and calories that I haven’t eaten - - just a LOT OF WORK, PERIOD! It’s been hard to do too. Now, I still have another 40 or 50 to go before I’ll be where I need to be - but I feel like I’ve made my way “back” to someplace - back to the land of the “overweight” instead of the “obese” - to the place where I would not be considered for gastric bypass surgery - where I don’t have to shop at the plus-size store any more if I don’t want to - I can now just buy on both sides of the aisle, as it were. It’s been so much harder this time to lose the weight too - not just because I’m diabetic - being a 50 year-old menopausal woman with a thyroid condition didn’t help, either. So, I will continue with the low-carb diet, the walk-at-home program, the Metaformin - it’s all working! And my morning blood sugar today was 107 - so it’s all good!
Yesterday, I got Dr. Bernstein’s book - anyone who hasn’t got it yet - you just have too - it’s incredible. And a big Thank you tudiabetes.com for all the good info I’ve found here!

Wow! You are doing so well!

Bernstein’s book got me pointed in the right direction when I was your age. 9 years later I’m still doing great. I lost the 30 lbs which I’d packed on in just a couple years thanks to blood sugars going WAY out of control. I kept it off, too, until I went off estrogen replacement this winter. I’ve got 5 lbs to get rid of now, but 5 is a lot easier than 30, though at age 59 it’s a LOT harder to lose weight than it was at 50 (and 50 was a zillion times harder than 35).

As you get closer to goal it usually gets a lot harder to lose weight, even with Low Carb. If you stall out, getting some good calorie counting software and a food scale can be very helpful. I had to cut calories as well as carbs to get the weight off after the “easy” stuff came off.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you’ll have to eat at a level not all that different from the level you are eating at while you diet to maintain the weight loss–this is something that Bernstein writes in his book, and it was true for me–so avoid the temptation to drop to too low an intake level while dieting. Better to lose slow and steady at an intake level you can live with long term.

The female body does seem to want to live on NOTHING after age 50. When I remember what I used to be able to pack away without gaining a pound, it’s hard to believe now!