Minimed 670G Upgrade Saga

I just got lied to about supplies and backorders.

I got a call in early June from my rep saying I was out of warranty and due to upgrade my pump. I had asked the minimed educator at my endo’s office about upgrading and she said I couldn’t get on priority access until this summer because I was under warranty until then, so I knew they were on the money and it was time. I said “sure let’s move up to the 670G. Can I do that?” “Oh of course, it might take a bit to get it, but you’ll get it by late summer.” I said, " I’ll take it whenever they come in, because I know they are rolling out in waves."

I got a call about a month ago, mid July, saying it was in, but the CGM was back ordered.

So the pump came, and then 2 weeks ago they called to check on me and if the pump had arrived. They let me know that a shipment of CGMs had arrived at Medtronic and I should get mine within a couple of days and that I should get a call from a CDE for training too.

I got a call from the CDE earlier this week and she scheduled the training for next Tuesday. So today, I thought I need call and check on the shipment to make sure the CGM didn’t get lost in the mail.

The customer service rep said that I wasn’t supposed to receive the CGM until Nov, no one had filed an exception for me and the training would just be for the pump and since I didn’t upgrade to the 630, I didn’t have priority. He was sorry it wasn’t communicated properly to me. (I wasn’t due to replace the pump through insurance until this summer, so I didn’t pay for the 630 out of pocket. I waited until I was insurance eligible.)

I said, “Why did I get the 670G pump in the first place? I have a 530 and I have Enlite sensors that go with the CGM for it. I don’t want to discontinue using a CGM to switch to the 670G without the sensors. And don’t I only have 60 days to return my 530 for a partial refund? I should have never been shipped this pump without the CGM to go with it. That’s a waste of resources for you and for me. And why was I contacted for a training if I can’t use this pump… and will need a second training for the CGM when it arrives anyway?”

So the two reps are going to work together to see if they can get their supervisor to allow me an exception because of their mistake. It wasn’t a mistake. It was a flat-out lie, because I asked about the sensor backorders specifically, and the rep said, “we have a CGM going out to you within the next couple of days.”

I’m so angry right now. I’m shaking.

It seems the Guardian3 sensors are in short supply. I got my 670G about a month ago, and had to wait for a couple of weeks to get the sensors. Also, I have to order through a distributor (Edgepark) and they said for now I can only order one box (5 week supply) at a time, instead of 3 month supply.

As anxious as I was to start the 670G, I understand its a new product and sometimes timing is off on roll out.

I was told by Kaiser that the Medtronic Guardian 3 sensors are on back order until the end of November. Glad I went with Tandem a few months ago

Same story as with Freestyle Libre when it got released. Limited supply and HUGE demand. I don’t understand how these companies think - we are releasing a new pump, which indeed requires a sensor, but then at the same time we are not increasing the sensor production accordingly… honestly… a kindergarden kid would think better thank that.

I totally agree with the Minimed 670G Saga! I can’t even believe what Medtronic is doing to their customers it’s horrible! I was told I would get a Minimed 670G next day after I made the decision because my previous pump, Animas died (after 7 years.) The shipment came with no CGM when I called about it they said it would arrive in a few days. Next thing I knew they told me a few weeks, then it was October, and now it’s January. How are you suppose to trust a company that does this to you? I just can’t believe it! Not to mention the fact that they bill for the CGM when you get it shipped so if they ship the CGM in January I will have to meet my deductible again because it will be a new year. My previous pump is broken so I need a new pump now and I am stuck with this 670G with no CGM and maybe a huge bill in january! Thanks Medtronic! Debating if I should return the 670G or not. Just horrible horrible customer service I can’t believe it!