Mission Accomplished!

It was a day full of things to do and places to be...

After a long day at school, I decided to take both the kids to a local cross-country running meet. I used to be the cross-country coach until Olivia was born. I wanted to spend more time with my family. Anyways, I wanted to continue showing my support of the team and try to attend all home meets. Start time was 4:00pm. We ofcourse showed up late. Having a two year old with diabetes feels like having a newborn all over again. All the things I have to travel with and not forget. Sometimes I feel like I'm packing for a week, not just a couple of hours. The meet was going okay and soon dinner time arrived - 5:00pm. I packed dinner for both girls and now it was time to check Olivia and give her insulin. She gets Humalog and Lantus at dinner time and Lantus you cannot mix with another insulin so needless to say ---TWO SHOTS! Olivia has been okay with two shots, but recently she has been stating her dislike of two. I checked her blood first and it was within range and I gave her the Lantus shot. Olivia then saw the second sryinge and she says "NO, ONLY ONE!" She then takes off running down the center of the field. There I am chasing her around as if I am one of the cross-country runners. Let me just say Olivia has the characteristics of a true runner - she was a fast little bugger!! I finally got a hold of her, but she was fighting me pretty good. She was kicking, screaming, and trying to get away. I was feeling hot! I could feel the eyes of the crowd looking at me and wondering, "what is that woman doing?" Picture this...Olivia is on the ground with my legs across her so she couldn't get up and run away again. I am also trying to fill a syringe to the 1/2 unit line. I then get her out from under me and she is still fighting me. I have her in one hand and the syringe in the other. Some how I got her across my legs and I injected her with the Humalog in her upper outer thigh. It was finally over. Olivia was still crying and saying, "ONLY ONE" and I kissed her cheek and held her in my arms and I'm saying, "it's all over!" Let's go eat! As we walked back to our original spot, a friend of mine who was standing next to us said, "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED"! That is exactly what it felt like. A mission that had to be carried out and accomplised. Whether we like it or not, it has to be done, but it still sucks!!!

Breaks my heart, cannot imagine doing all this to a two year old, it is just not right. My niece is 2.5 and I don’t think I could handle this task with her day after day.

Ronda you are a saint and so is Olivia and I so understand your struggle and her fight not wanting to go through this day after day. Hopefully soon you can get her on the pump, just to eliminate the shots.

Remember you are a good mom especially after I read her numbers were in range, that is the hard part.

Thanks Karen - It’s the support from people like you that get me through the tough days!

I agree with Karen. I’m thankful that I was diagnosed as a young adult, and not a child, and that I turned out to be T2. I cannot imagine, given my own character, how my mum would be able to give me shots. Your post also reminds me of my best friend describing to me her little five-year-old T1 diabetic cousin crying and screaming whenever his parents have to give him his shots. It broke my heart then and this breaks my heart again. But you’re a great mum…as all the mums on this site are!

She is a little to young for the pump right now, but hopefully in the near future. Right now she will not even wear a band-aid! I am looking forward to the day though!