Mixing vaccines covid

I went ahead and got my booster shot of covid vaccine.
I had spoken to my doctor about mixing it up and she agreed that it might be beneficial and can’t hurt.

So I had Moderna for my first two vaccines and I had Pfizer for this last one.
I thought I got luck in that I had a sore arm and that’s it. But now I’m getting that painful skin thing and severe tiredness like I got with Moderna.
It was just delayed an entire day.

I wonder if anyone else on here had mixed their vaccines and how is it going for you.

1 Like

I did the same as you - Moderna for the first two and Pfizer for the second. With Moderna, I had a slight sore arm and a bit of a headache. With Pfizer, a slight sore arm and that was it!

I was 3-for-3 with Pfizer so no “mixing” for me. (Remember when we mixed Regular and NPH? :slight_smile: ).

With the third jab I had a sore arm and a temperature of 101 the next day (although I didn’t feel too bad).

I have seen South African studies saying that mixing up mRNA initial course with a J&J booster have advantages against Omicron but then the very latest news says to stick with mRNA (either Prizer or Moderna) for booster. In any event booster (whatever kind) seems essential! COVID boosters with Pfizer or Moderna are best against omicron: study

1 Like

Canada has allowed mixing for a while, though whether you have an actual choice depends on the province’s supply on that date. There’s no evidence mixing is a health concern. There are some niceties about which combo gives better protection, but at this stage anything is better than nothing and I wouldn’t put off a jab in order to have a supposed 5% average greater protection.

Mixing shouldn’t matter, but I imagine you might have a different response from one versus the other. Even then, it is not a negative thing, and informally - there are no studies to prove this - a higher systemic response might be better, indicative of a more aggressive immune system action. Separately, I have read getting Moderna for the booster results in a larger immune response for all previous vaccines, including Moderna’s.

I had Moderna for all three, but even for the booster shot, I had some nausea and lethargy. From what I’ve read, Moderna typically has more short-term side effects, possibly attributable to its higher amount of active ingredients. I did toy with the idea of mixing, getting Pfizer for my booster, but then saw the study of boosters, so stuck with Moderna.

Did the same. My husbands oncologist said they were showing this might be beneficial.

… and who knows how much is real:

Placebo effect accounts for more than two-thirds of COVID-19 vaccine adverse events, researchers find | EurekAlert!

I’ve had 4 Pfizer and absolutely zero side effects. Since our province just authorized 4th shots and my 4th was in California in early May, I may wait for the new vaccine that protects against these new variants sometime in October. Mind you I do have Covid right now for the 1st time. Thought I was going make it being Covid free but Omicron 5 is quite the beast. Don’t feel too bad but not too good either. Stay safe everyone!

I also have had 4 Pfizer vaccinations. BA.5 is now the dominant subvariant in the U.S. – it’s reportedly much more transmissable and more immune-evading. CNN this morning cited stats showing it’s a full on BA.5 wave here.

I hope your symptoms stay manageable Sheryl, and you’re feeling great really soon.

My daughter’s wedding is coming up in September. I’m now 6 months out from my last booster. (T1D isn’t my only risk factor so I’ve been diligent about the vaxx info and schedules). Even though the Omicron vaccine isn’t effective any longer against the most active subvariants – we don’t know how much efficacy it continues to pack in reducing the severity. It’s probably still keeping us out of the hospital (or worse). If FDA would approve another dose of the same booster (a fifth), I’d do it right now without hesitation. Waiting until the bivalent (or whatever next gen from Pfizer or Moderna is) launch in the Fall isn’t the best answer in my case – for a late September wedding I refuse to miss. In the meantime, I wear a NIOSH certified KN95 mask everywhere.

1 Like

Yes, I understand the BA.5 is dominant here is Alberta, Canada where I live. Want to wait for the new vaccine they’re getting ready to launch in September or October. Might be good for me to wait until November so we’ll have to see. I’ve worn a mask everywhere too, a KN95 and also another kind I just picked up that is 99% filtration. Hope that they do the job, I fear a bigger wave will be here by September. Let’s all be as safe as we can so you can be present at your daughter’s wedding. :sparkling_heart:

Thanks for the kind wishes Sheryl. Is your “99 %” mask a N95? I have some but the 3M version hurts my ears. No reason not to wear it so if going into a high risk area, I do wear them.

1 Like

Yes, it is. Stamped right on the mask! I have to tie the ear loops a bit so it’s tight on my face. Gonna get more soon as here in Edmonton, Alberta we’re going through a 7th Omicron 5 wave right now. They expect it to get worse in September too. Masks are so important!

So sorry I just repeated myself. No need for that - apologies. :slightly_smiling_face: