Monster Chicken with Roast Brains

I’m a little late posting here, but I made this in celebration of Halloween.

I've been making my own variations of Monterey Chicken for several weeks now. Last time I realized I was using Muenster rather than Monterey Jack as the primary cheese. Between that and the time of year, Monster Chicken was born.

Monster Chicken!

2 boneless chicken breasts (cut into 4 halves)
2 thick slices of Muenster cheese
shredded cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, whatever you prefer)
4 slices of cooked bacon (or my preference, turkey bacon)
diced tomato (without seeds & slime)
diced green onions
lemon juice
lime juice
olive oil
paprika
thyme
kosher salt
black pepper

Place 1 piece of chicken into a gallon-size plastic bag. Pound it flat with a mallet or a handy can of vegetables. I use Steff’s canned potatoes, since I’ll never eat them. At least they get used for something. Remove the chicken, and repeat with the other 3 pieces.

Place all of the chicken into the same gallon-size bag, then sprinkle in the juice of 1 lime and 1 lemon. Add a little salt, pepper, thyme, and paprika. Seal the bag and squeeze to distribute the marinade. Place bag in refrigerator, preferably inside a bowl or some container to prevent cross-contamination. Chill for up to 15 minutes.

Heat a medium-sized pan on medium-high. Add just a little olive oil. I also like to sprinkle a little kosher salt over the bottom of the pan to help prevent sticking. Shake any excess marinade off the chicken, then cook 2 pieces at a time for about 4 minutes per side. Resist the urge to move it around. Leave it alone, and it will sear nicely.

When all the chicken is done, lay all of the pieces out on a baking sheet. Break or cut the Muenster in half to form triangles, then top each chicken breast with one triangle. Break bacon in half, lay it over the chicken to form an X. Top with diced tomato and green onion, then sprinkle on a little shredded cheese.

Broil for approx 3 minutes, or until the cheese starts to bubble and brown. That’s it!

I also roasted cauliflower in the oven (400 degrees, 45-50 minutes uncovered) with carrots, thyme, paprika, and of course kosher salt & olive oil. When Steff came in she saw the cauliflower and asked, “Are we having brains?”