My Answer on D-Blog Day

The topic: Why do I feel the DOC is important, especially to me personally? My answer: TuDiabetes and the network of D-blogs have given me an education that recently became an unexpected lifeline in my family.

I've read with interest about all types of Diabetes since I was misdiagnosed as a Type2 in November, 1993, changing to diagnosis of Type1 later (I call LADA/Type1). I had been having strange symptoms for many months. That November I was in the hospital for an operation and hooked up to a glucose IV in the Recovery Room. When the IV caused my blood sugar to shoot up, the nurse said, "Oops, you've got Diabetes", and gave me my first insulin shot. I was given Metformin and other pills, none of which helped. Finally about a year after that first shot, I was prescribed life-saving insulin. In time I got the C-Peptide and the other tests to show I was Type1, and acquired my first pump. While I had a good medical team, I needed to learn about my Diabetes on a daily basis. That's when, new pump pumping away, I discovered the DOC. It offered up a continuing education, right there at my fingertips! I loved it and lurked for years; then I joined TuDiabetes; and then...

One day for the fun of it, I talked my husband into testing his blood glucose. Oops! It was high! He tested again before and after meals; post pandrialy his results were always high. However, his fasting BGs were normal. My husband has always been thin and active and has no autoimmune conditions or insulin resistance. We decided he has a condition that we are calling "Type Geriatric". We went off to his doctor, who gave C-Peptide and other appropriate tests, and agreed that he has "Type Geriatric". My knowledge from the DOC, and especially TuDiabetes, has been a lifeline for both of us, and in the interest of full disclosure, he's a biological scientist and comes into the situation with some knowledge of his own!

I would like to see discussions on the glucose-impaired condition we're calling "Type Geriatric". I'd like a recognition that people should be regularly tested for Diabetes as they grow older, but that fasting blood glucose should not be relied upon for the diagnosis. It seems to me that there is a great potential for older people to be misdiagnosed, or not diagnosed at all for Beta Cell loss. The DOC is doing a great job in educating all of us.

I agree Trudy, the DOC is doing a great job in educating us. I don't know where I would be today if it were not for the DOC. I didn't realize your husband was having problems also. He might be a scientist, but you know a lot of the ins & outs of the diabetes world.

There are a suite of separate conditions that we call "type 2 diabetes". The various tests our doctors have used, discarded, and then used again can be used to distinguish which type of Type 2 diabetes we have, if the doctors only had the time to study and listen. It sounds like your husband may have impaired glucose tolerance (IGT), a precursor of carb-sensitive T2. I would check his responses to an average-carb meal and to a low-carb meal. Another option would be to do an average-meal version of an OGTT and see if he has one peak or more, and at what time(s) after his meals.

If he is carb-sensitive, he may be able to control his blood glucose levels by low-carbing or smart-carbing. If he's sensitive to the quantity of food consumed at a sitting, he may need to change from a meal-based diet to grazing. That's just the top-of-my-head stuff...

It's great that you were able to catch that Trudy. Thanks for introducing this new topic. I too would love to see what others have experienced. I am thinking that maybe I should test my hubby too. :) Joanne

Thanks for your comments, everyone. This was the 7th annual D-Blog Day, and I really enjoyed participating in it. There is a total of 22 blogs right now on this topic at www.diabetestalkfest.com/blog/?p=461.

@Kelly. I was sincere about my need for the DOC. Part of their topic contains the hope that we can reach a broader audience, and asks how to do so.

@tmana. When my husband realized the problem, he threw out our cereal and everything else that looked at all high carb. We're both eating a lower carb diet now! He is monitoring, and it will no doubt become more and more important. We're definitely going to have to do research on the various types of Type2.

@ Peetie. I hope there is some discussion on this topic now and in the future. If you can talk your husband into a test, why not?!!