My #DSMA Guest Blog Post: Humor and Diabetes

It’s been a little over a year since I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, and yet, finding the words to express the complicated, enmeshed feelings I have about this disease is much like a stretching exercise: painful, and yet, so very good for the “muscles” that form my drive, my motivation, and my emotional well-being. You see, I harbor a lot of resentment toward Diabetes. Diabetes has been an unwanted part of my life for much longer than my diagnosis, and certainly much longer than I would care for it to be; a despicable family foe who has taken the lives of my great grandfather, grandfather, and my father, etc.Diabetes, has more than once, brought me many tears.

You would think I would be broken; constantly filled with dread, and in a way, I am. But I have come to realize that life is much like an extreme sport: if I weren’t filled with some strong emotion, or another, I wouldn't think I was alive… and if I stopped to dwell on those emotions, most of the time, I would not take a dive! You see, Diabetes doesn’t want me to laugh, or have a sense of humor. It would love for me to sit at home, crying while hiding in the closet, cowering all the time about what might happen next, and never visiting with friends or family anymore, wondering how much longer my beta cells will last. Diabetes would love for me to be nothing more than a shell of a human being. But I will NOT let Diabetes make my decisions for me. I will instead laugh at Diabetes by doing all the things it doesn’t want me to do: I will have a productive life, I will eat cake, I will live a long life and have children, I will (in as much as I can) be fit, I will have pizza, I will have good control, I will attack highs relentlessly, and treat lows with compassion. Diabetes is NOT going to take away who I am, while I’m alive… and at every opportunity, every time I choose to live, I will make FUN of my Diabetes. In the mornings, when I see a good number, I will yell “Take that, ■■■■■!,” and in the evenings, if I see a high number, I will karate the crap out of it!! “Yeah, I don’t think so, Diabetes!! Eayah!!” I will rejoice over the low carb goodness of bacon.

Humor gives us a sense of the upper hand over our circumstances, and it gives us back that sense of “control” over our lives; a sense that even though we can’t always control what happens to us, we can control how we handle what happens to us. Humor allows us to heal, and to feel human again; it allows us to be able to relate to others on a common plane, bringing them to our point of perspective, no matter where we are in our lives. I have often used humor to even educate others who may be ignorant to the challenges that we face as persons with Diabetes… especially while eating cake in front of them! When we laugh at Diabetes, we FIGHT Diabetes... We embrace our own healing, and we embrace others in our circle of life. We embrace the humanity of who we are, with an understanding that we are not unique beings under the Sun, for we all face trials and stigmas and hardships… But we ARE, indeed, unique beings who have learned to laugh. When we laugh, we teach others that it is OKAY. It is okay to face those trials, and stigmas, and hardships. It will be OKAY, for tomorrow will too, bring its own flavor, and its own love. It’s okay to hurt, and to feel burnt out, and to feel scared, and to feel anger and resentment, or even persecution… And I will poke fun at Diabetes for making me feel everyone of those things.

Diabetes, I will cry with my friends… I will share in their anger, and their fear, and their joy, and in their victories… But I will NEVER, EVER… shed another tear for YOU. You do not deserve my tears… You deserve my mockery. You may have taken my pancreas but you will not take who I am.

http://diabetessocmed.com/2010/dsma-participants-point-of-view-2/

excellent writeup!

Very Cool Girly!! Love it!!

Well said Liz!!! I gotta say this though................Looking from a Type 1's point of view, having had d for 37 years I find that having humor has help sooooo much. Keep going Liz!!!

Well said. Have a very Happy Christmas and best wishes for you and your diabetes in 2011.

Lovely thoughts, especially about the Karate!! EEYAAAAAHHHH!

Smiles,

Natalie ._c-

Awesome!

I love your attitude, thanks for making me LOL!

well done

Good for you! Keep fighting the good fight! I too was diagnosed a little over a year ago but grew up with diabetes all around me. I watched diabetes take my Grandparents and later my Father at a much too young age. So like you, diabetes came to me with a great deal of excess baggage and alot of fear. Diabetes had already taken so much from me. I too am determined to fight the good fight but like everyone else I have my good days and I have my bad days. One of the things that helps me with the bad days is coming here and seeing the posts of so many people that are feeling the same complicated hundred million different feelings that I am. Thanks for sharing.

That is more or less what I do. Highs happen. Lows happen - but as I once commented, during a hypo, to my Pastor who was flapping - "I quite like this condition. At least the treatment is pleasant!" He was dumbstruck, and so was I. I had never thought about it like this before!

I try to use humour when I am having a bad day - like the time I went to the supermarket, had a hypo and got to the check out with an open box of sugar lumps, and a sweet taste in my mouth. I do not remember picking them up or opening them, but I commented that I needed a fix. You should have seen the cashier's face! Until I explained that these thing sometimes happen. Now they are used to me starting something before paying - a sweet or a bottle of water when I am high! As long as I pay, and I always do, they understand.

Great post. And I was never more surprised than when you posted a few 6 gram cupcake recipes. So inventive, very helpful. Yes, you will eat cake. You can do everything you have done before diagnosis, just in a different way. And because of the time we live in, I am very hopeful, that a solution will present itself within the next five years… So I think in five year timelines. Just stay healthy for five more years… New insulins, at the very least, will be available.

Yes, a pancreas does not a person make. No matter if it is broken or not. :)

When I have my good numbers, I always think my diabetes is in a good mood. When I get bad numbers, I think it has PMS. :) Funny how I don't see as my bud or anything - at least, not yet. :) It is like a separate entity, that sorts hangs out in my body somewhere -most of the time it appears to be relaxed and in control and subdued - when it freaks out, I know it must be having a bad day.