My proclamation concerning cinnamon!

Yowza. Let me see if I have this story right.

You were diagnosed with diabetes in 2000 and at some point after that were confirmed as being LADA.

You have not used insulin and have been using metformin and glyburide

Lately you used Victoza, but only samples from the dr, it worked ok

You have been able to keep things “ok” for a decade, but have had to resort to a very low carb steak and salad diet with meds to maintain blood sugar control

Lately, if you eat carbs, your blood sugar is going way to high. 4 slices of bread left you in the 300s and you did not come right down

And your blood sugar control (based on your A1c) has really deteriorated.

Is this right?

If this is the case, you need to get your mind around the situation. You have to make a transition to insulin, and it is in your best interest to make that move soon. Many beleive that early use of insulin can keep your remaining beta cells going, and this is a big advantage as it will make your blood sugar control a lot easier. If you wait around for months with high blood sugars you will not only start to increase your risk of complications, the high blood sugars actually poison your remaining beta cells.

So please do some self exploration. Do some hard thinking. Get your head around insulin. This is your life and health. We may imagine using a needle is terrible, but in hindsight, almost everyone here will tell you that you very quickly get over it. For me, testing my blood sugar hurts more. And you should not fear hypos, you should fear complications. So please, think about it and get clear about your priorities. I know you will choose right.

You can read about my experiences starting insulin, I chose to advocate for myself and make my own choices. I did not want to end up with high blood sugars for a long time before my doctors bothered to act. I recommend you be your own advocate. Get an endo if you don’t have one. Be clear and insistent about your health and ask (or demand) for insulin as an appropriate treatment [1].

[1] If your doctor questions the appropriateness of insulin, bring this guidance from the American Association of Clinical Endochronologists which says that if your A1c is 9% and you are already under treatment you should move to treatment with insulin.

ps. And I recommend you avoid the double pastrami sandwich on rye until you start insulin. Once you start insulin, you can choose to count the carbs and bolus and it will be ok.