My toe is numb!

i have noticed that my big toe on my left foot is completely numb for the the past few days, at first it hardly noticeable but as the days pass i am finding it to be very uncomfortable. i work at a toy store and spend almost 8 hours on my feet. i walk to and from work. i wear sneakers and i am usually pretty careful about my feet, i am worried that it might turn into something serious.

Is it cold where you are at? I used to do Tae Kwon Do barefoot in a chilly gym and noticed one toe would get colder than the other ones. The podiatrist figured "it's probably something" and rx'ed neurotnin "off label" but it didn't do much or, by the time a few weeks were up, spring was in the air...

The other thing might be if your feet grow? I saw a thing on Oprah like 20 years ago where she mentioned your feet keep growing as you get older. If you "were" a 6 and need a 6 1/2 or 7, that might fix it?

How long have you been keeping those hours and the same routine?

That alone might be the answer. I spent a week putting in a tile floor and the stress on my big toe caused it to go numb after a few days. Then, I spent all day walking around in my Chucks.

I started wearing my running shoes around and that helped a lot. My toe will still get numb if I spend any amount of time in my Chucks.

I am with FHS on this. Sneakers are not necessarily good shoes to on your feet for hours and hours. And a compression can certainly result in what you describe. I know that you fear the emergence of neuropathy, but it is more likely a compression problem.

Visiting a podiatrist might be appropriate, There may be some condition causing this numbness, or there may be aspects of your feet that make you prone to this. They might recommend an insert that could help, many sell shoes, but I doubt you have an interest in those. I've also heard many recommendations on running shoes. Running is perhaps even more stressful on your feet. And things like excessive pronation are thought to lead to compression problems and numbness just like you describe.

The very best running shoe stores will have extremely qualified staff and the right support to identify key issues (like pronation) with your feet and help you select proper fitted shoes. Even if you don't buy shoes at the running store, it can help you know which shoes are best. Then you can go to DSW.

As I've gotten older, I've become alot more protective of my feet. I used to run around in flip flops all the time even though I knew it wasn't a good idea. All of the doctors in my area recommend going to the New Balance store because they carry shoes that aren't available at other chain stores and are designed to give more support to your feet. They even have a limited "casual wear" line which are professional looking enough to wear with slacks to work if you can't wear running shoes to work but they feel like you have a running shoe on.

Disclaimer - I have no affiliation with New Balance. I have a pair from their casual line that I wear to work and I love them.

Agree with BSC you may want to have a quick visit with a Podiatrist. They can do the tuning fork and various sensation tests to test for diabetic symptoms. Ask for the full diabetic checkup. You should have a baseline with them as well for your own medical knowledge if you havent done it.

When I had high sugars I had numbness in one of my toes too. It could be your sneakers but a quick visit to the podiatrist would also be in order.