Name one positive thing about having Diabetes

In my one year so far with Type 1, I’ve struggled to find the “silver lining”. But I must say, I LOVE being able to bring whatever I want through TSA (water, juice, food, liquids and gels, mace-okay unrelated, but it gets through) and that I don’t have to take my shoes off! I always just ask for a secondary screening because of my diabetes. Wow. I never want us to be discriminated against, but I’m surprised the terrorists haven’t figured this one out.

Anyway…its the one positive change in my life since diagnosed…

I have an excuse to take more breaks at work, lol.

Urinate all the time helps prevent a gout attack.

My husband and 15 year-old are eating better and more active.

Jenn…its always hard to find the silver lining after the first year. Heck after the 18th year its still a little tough sometimes :wink:

I will say that I’ve been meeting a lot of other people with diabetes, and the disease makes for a very easy ice breaker and an instant bond with other T1’s. It’s given me a chance to meet all kinds of folks from all walks of life that share the struggle…and at the same time, share the strength.

Before tudiabetes.com, I had no diabetic friends, I didn’t know any other T1’s, and I really didn’t want to know any other T1’s. Type 1 diabetes was also kicking my ■■■ every day.

Now.,I’ve had the honor to meet dozens of T1’s…go out for dinner, lunch, coffee…gone surfing, played racquetball, attended art shows, raised money, walked for cures…oh yes and most importantly laughed and laughed and laughed. I’ve met people that truly inspire me and help me appreciate all the life really is, diabetes or not. Oh yes, and I’ve never been as fit and healthy and in control of diabetes in my entire life.

It’s amazing how a curse can suddenly turn into a blessing.

TO ALL MY FRIENDS that I’ve had the pleasure to meet in person and otherwise, thank you so much for this blessing.

FMLA… I can go to the beach or out on the boat when I want…

I appreciate the little things in life a lot more these days. Honestly it makes me think about how much worse things could be and I’m thankful that this is at least manageable. And- I’ve met some amazing people because of it, in a way type-one beetus has made my life richer and more full.

I didn’t know that about TSA, Jenn! Do you just say “I’m diabetic” and then you can stroll on in wearing shoes and carrying water and shampoo bottles?

Blessings? They say learning new things in middle age helps prevent Alzheímer’s. I’m definitely good to go! I’m being facetious, I might have a better answer to this question when I’ve been stable a bit longer and am past the learning curve and stress, stress, stress!

I am actually healthier because I have diabetes and take care of it than I would without it. I wouldn’t take this good of care of myself if I didn’t have to. And it helps me have more compassion and help other people with thier diabetes. I am an RN and a certified diabetes educator with inpatients at a hospital where I teach patients, nurses and doctors about diabetes. They listen to me because I don’t just study the disease, I live it.

Hmmm, well it’s easier to bang a Type 1 girl since you share her struggle or whatnot. Women LOVE that stuff.

I certainly pay much closer attention to my diet and exercise routines than I otherwise would and thus I am in much better shape than I think I otherwise would be in.

Access to injectable insulin is great for enhanced muscle growth.

I get a complete blood and urine workup every 3 months, which means other non-diabetes related problems have a good chance at being spotted much earlier than they otherwise would be. Most of my friends haven’t had a physical in years, decades even.

Same to you my friend. We need to get a BBQ going at my place or something soon!

After over 30 years with the disease, I think I am in better health than I would be without because I see a doc more often, take care of myself & try to eat right & exercise - I have good incentive since I want to live at least another 20-25 years with this disease (I’m currently 61).

I, too, have gotten to know a lot of people because of diabetes - through the internet & the ADA etc - both other diabetics and medical professionals (The Seattle area has some great endos & UofWa does a lot of diabetic research)

And I am always just happy that I am living at a time when diabetes can be successfully controlled & I can expect to live 50 or more years with this disease.

I am going to add 2 words to diabetes : " well managed " and it is because of these words , that there are lots of positive things…in my life .Have travelled as an advocacy ambassador with the Canadian Diabetes Association , have travelled because I participate with Team Diabetes Canada , am focussed on getting my exercise in , I could go on and on AND you asked for ONE positive thing …so I’'ll stop .Life is SWEET …

One good thing about having D, meeting you guys. How do you get hte stuff through, I just had a vey big pot of E45 cream confiscated, they were having none of it. What do you say ?

When someone says “Are you gonna eat allllll of that?” I can say I have too, I diabetic and I need my carbs.

Looking at this from the viewpoint of a caretaker of Type 1 child, I honestly can’t think of one. But I can see you guys are very upbeat and can find that elusive silver lining.

Jenn, how do you get away with not taking your shoes off at TSA? I’ve had water taken away in spite of my pleas that I needed it & was told to buy some more past security check point.

Try as a might, I’m afraid I can’t find anything positive to say about diabetes. There are positive & wonderful things in my life, but having diabetes isn’t one of them.

that it allows me to be a part of the living dead

I don’t eat junk and i got to meet all of you guys!

Who says there has to be a silver lining? Nevertheless… learned to be way less judgmental; more accepting and compassionate of others and wherever they are on their health road. And to help and encourage by relating my experience and to allow others to take from that whatever’s right for them at the time.