Navigator - rumers & facts and all the rest

Hi All,

My 2y old is on the Nav2 & I think its doing a good job.
unfortunatly Dexcom is not approved here by the local FDA so I have no comparison with other CGMs.

However I heard 2 rumors/facts on the nav that makes me a little nervose
Maybe you know more ?

1) Nav stopped production at the US - does anyone knows why ?

2) Nav sensor leave a residue of some sort in the body.. .Is this true ?

3) How is the Enlite CGM comared to it ?

Here's what Abbott said when they discontinued the Navigator in the US.
(Augu 31, 2011)
As you may be aware, Abbott Diabetes Care has been experiencing a supply interruption in the United States with the FreeStyle Navigator Continuous Glucose Monitoring System. This interruption has affected our ability to provide U.S. patients with new system kits or warranty replacement components.

We are committed to producing high quality, safe and effective products and to providing the best possible customer service. When we bring a product to market, it is our responsibility to consistently provide the product to customers. In the U.S. we have not been able to consistently supply the Freestyle Navigator System to patients.

As a result, Abbott is permanently discontinuing the FreeStyle Navigator System in the U.S. We understand this decision may affect how some patients manage their blood glucose and we have several options available to help FreeStyle Navigator System patients in the U.S. transition to alternative glucose monitoring technologies.
The full text is at
https://www.abbottdiabetescare.com/press-room/2011/2011-a.html

Sensor residue in body? I have never heard of it.
All devices that are stuck to your body have possible issues with adhesive residue, but as to internal residue, I haven't heard of it. Pump infusion sets shouldn't be left in beyond 3 days, but that is a different issue.

Enlite CGM. All these devices are "your mileage may vary". That means someone may get great results out of a particular device, and someone else may get horrid results from the same device. That being said, from what I have read, the Dexcom G4 Platinum is the most accurate followed closely by the Navigator, and the Enlite is behind, although considerably better than the prior Minimed sensors. I have used the navigator 1.0 and the 1.5. They were both a bit slow to react to high blood sugars, but other than that they were extremely accurate.

The Dexcom was just approved by the FDA for children as young as 2.
I do not know how you are using the Nav 2 in the US, but I am a bit jealous. I have seen a few people with them, but they were all in short term "experiments"

Hope this helps.

As a practical matter, the Navigator had a small market share of the U.S. market and I suspect Abbott's CGM business was not turning a profit. Also, they are working on a device that they intend to initially market in Europe that seems to be halfway between using a meter and a CGM. On a related note, several months ago, I finally ran out of sensors and had to switch to the Dexcom. My impressions of the differences between the two devices are that:

the Navigator algorithms are much setter than those of the Dexcom; it identifies trends quicker and is more accurate.

The Navigator had significant problems with batteries and I was almost chaining batteries in both the transmitter and receiver every 5 days.

Sometimes the Navigator would seem to go on "walkabouts" when it would shut off for no apparent reason, and then start functioning a while later.

There are a number of issues with both devices, which, if the machines could be combined and patents and/or intellectual property issues reconciled, we could have a good reliable relatively accurate device. such is the nature of capitalism.

The software that is seeing developed at the University of Virginia and was tested by Kelly Close is definitely interesting. I gather they are seeking recruits for their study. You have to travel to Charlottesville at your own expense and have to meet age requirements.

Bottom line, if I could get my hands on Navigator sensors, I would god back to using that device, even with its shortcomings.