Need a slap to the face

I am annoyingly depressed. I have always been deeply depressed off and on through out my life but I knew how to get out of it. This time it is putting up a fight. I mean I literally am getting on my own nerves with it but I feel like I have no control. I am not thinking about hurting myself, just to put that out there but I need help. I live in the Los Angeles area and I need a stright forward hard@ss person, life coach, psychoologist, therapist, aunt, whoever to help me get out of this...I just need an emotionally slap to the face. If anyone has any suggestions, I am listening. Thanks :)

You know Rye I agree with Judith that you are very good looking and on your page you say you are grateful, so I would not give you any slap but a pat on the back and some suggestions of my way of approaching everything to find supplements to improve on health results.

Do you have a tendency to drink? As that may be fun for 2 to 3 hours but is extremely hard on the levels of B vitamins which directly affect mood.

Also make a list of as many things positive you could do. Even playing music that is your favourite that is upbeat. It may sound crazy, but often we do know what we should be doing, but just aren't doing it because sometimes we like to feel justified in being upset about something. Maybe that is why you feel you need to be strong armed into doing the right thing. Certainly paying money for therapy will make you want to get it to work as no one wants to waste money.

But to do it relatively cheaply, start gathering ideas here as you're doing and commit to put some into action and report back. But keep an upbeat mood and do not allow yourself to wallow in negatives in terms of thinking because that paralyzes us into doing nothing.

I share your pain. But like Judith, my life was turned upside down mid-life as well when diagnosed only 2 years ago at age 48 with type 1 (LADA). i have so many depressed moments, but i push myself through those moments and try to hold on to whatever sense of "normal" i can still have in my life. i try to be as "normal" as i can be despite this disease; i get up in the morning even though i feel like ■■■■, i go to the gym and workout, travel, hike, bicycle, and i meet up with friends even though i feel so alone in this disease. all of these things in total are what i think gets me through each day, but each day is a challenge. i challenge you to get out of your head and think about what "normal" people do and just do it! you'll feel like you've accomplished something and know that it means even more because we live with diabetes. at the very least, if you're not already active, get yourself outside and make an appointment with yourself everyday to walk for a minimum of 30 minutes and increase that as you feel better. if you're already active, choose a new exercise routine to get yourself out of your comfort zone so you can feel a sense of accomplishment. all these things help my "emotional diabetes;" i hope it inspires you too!

hi rye, i am going through something very similar myself at the moment, really can relate to getting on my own nerves :) i don't think you need a slap in the face, you didn't do anything wrong because of being depressed and please don't forget that. please DO go get help, i don't know if you have insurance but if you do, get a referral for a therapist, if not, there are probably schools in your area that can get you help at a lower cost. i'm so glad you posted this, depression is an illness, not a character defect. i'm no expert but that is what i believe. although i do apologize to people when i have an insulin reaction, would you do that? please let us know how you're doing, we care. if you really WANT a slap in the face they have websites for that too ;) please know that you can get through this, liz ps-judith mentioned exercise, that is a natural anti-depressant.

Lots of good ideas here. Hard as it is to accept (and I say this from my own recent experience of thinking/feeling exactly what you just posted) – even if I *DO* have a hard@ss person in my life, it's still up to ME to respond to the slap. That's always been the hardest part for me to get in line with ... I'm responsible for my own life. Period. Support is critical, but doing the actual work - that is something only I can do.
In a way, that really sucks. In another way, it could also be kind of awesome. As out of control as I feel at times, I'm still the only one who's really in charge.
I try to look at my depression the same way I'd look at having a cold or the flu. Just because I don't FEEL like doing anything, doesn't mean I can't do it anyway. Even just getting up and moving around a little bit is the last thing I want to do, but if I force myself to just do it, I always feel better at least for a little while.
It doesn't heal the cold/depression. It just helps me hang on while my body/brain is healing itself. Sometimes, that can be enough.
Hang in there and when you don't know what to do, just do SOMEthing.
Embrace your inner hard@ss!

i look at it like my diabetes, for me, depression is something i've had to deal with since i was very small, as with the diabetes. i didn't start dealing with these conditions till i was in my 30's, i am lucky to be alive to say that. it was another illness that caused me to do that. i just wanted to stress that there's nothing wrong with seeking help if you need it, & not beating yourself up for having an illness. of course it's up to me if i choose to do nothing or do something. something is always better than nothing :)

Thank you Judith!!!! Your words are needed!

And I will definately watch that movie :)

Thank you Janina,

I have been lacking in my positive activities. Its funny how you dont even notice when you step away from life sometimes. I need to be more proactive!

LOL1 thanks! I didnt mean a real slap to the face, more like a metaphor. I need someone to get me out of my own thoughts but in a more stern way, thats all...I have stopped exercising and I think I will def start that back up again. Thanks for sharing. Sometimes its just good to know your not alone :)

Thanks!!! I understand that help doesnt work unless I am open which I am. Everything I know to do at this point in my life is not really helping and I keep sneaking back into depression without realizing it. Which makes me think its something I dont even know is bothering me. I am pretty much hard@ss, anyone can vouch, lol...but I am in a huge life transition and I am not making any progress. I seem to have lost my mojo. Mojo is what I call that spark that is in all of us, that part of you with its own theme music, lol...I know its probably something obvious but I am seriously oblivous to the obvious.

Thanks!!! I understand that help doesnt work unless I am open which I am. Everything I know to do at this point in my life is not really helping and I keep sneaking back into depression without realizing it. Which makes me think its something I dont even know is bothering me. I am pretty much hard@ss, anyone can vouch, lol...but I am in a huge life transition and I am not making any progress. I seem to have lost my mojo. Mojo is what I call that spark that is in all of us, that part of you with its own theme music, lol...I know its probably something obvious but I am seriously oblivous to the obvious.

Doing something is always better than doing nothing. I am working on that, lol...Thanks :)

rye, this is not that kind of website ;) we are all here to help & support each other, i am glad you seem to be feeling better & hope you will continue to do so. no matter how you are feeling, it is important that you don't keep it to yourself! have a good day!