Need your perspectives, thoughts, and help

(post deleted by author)

Thanks, @John_Bowler! Very insightful. Since itā€™s only 2 months that I started taking the med, I have been doing some simple experiments and testing myself very randomly. I do know that even brown rice (supposedly more complex carb) will spike my BG. So, really cut it down now.

As for experiments, like the one I did today.

• Get up and test. 6.6
  • Skipped breakfast. Had a cup of coffee (10 AM) (milk and 1/4 spoon sugar. I hate coffee without sugar but heavily cut it down. Coffee is the only place where I use white sugar). Tested. 7.5
  • 1:15 PM: Tested. 5.5. Took the med.
  • Had my fist food at 1:20 PM. If coffee is not counted, my fasting hours are 16 hours. My lunch today was bean medley with tomato, bell pepper, soaked peanuts, and cucumber.
  • I tested at 1 hr post: 8.5
  • Tested at 2 hr post: 7.4

I can most definitely say that in another 2 hours my BG might fall to 4.5 or close to that number, at which point I will have a coffee again.

So, I am still learning how my body is reacting. I need to increase my physical activity. Thatā€™s the one where I need some self-inspired steps to take.

What is ā€œSecond state responseā€? Fasting sugar number?

I have been a vegetarian for 54 years and a vegan for 37 years, way before I got diabetes. First I want to say, rice even brown rice is a trick for me. I now can eat a small quantity, but it took a while to figure it out.

I was misdiagnosed as a type 2 for over 8 years. I honestly believe itā€™s because I was overweight, not obese, but overweight and they automatically look at you and go type 2. It didnā€™t make sense to me because I swam 75 laps a day in a gym pool, I ate very healthy and I had an uncle that had had type 1, type 2 did not run in my family. So I asked if I could be a type 1 to both my GP and endocrinologist at the time and they both dismissed it and said you are a type 2 and never tested me. I struggled as the meds they kept trying on me made me sick, I could eat a large salad with lettuce, beans and veggies on top and shoot up to over 200. It wasnā€™t until I switched doctors who sent me to a new endo who tested me right away without me even asking and I was finally diagnosed right. I say this because a lot of us find out we are type 1ā€™s when we switch doctors.

Part of the problem is when you are an adult and get type 1, you still make some insulin for quite a while, even for over 8 years sometimes. It just dwindles until you finally donā€™t make enough or stop completely. So meds, diet, and lifestyle changes, can work at first until they donā€™t because youā€™ve reached the tipping point. Itā€™s what we commonly refer to as the honeymoon period.

Iā€™m not saying you are, type 2 can be tricky too. But 35% of type 1ā€™s are misdiagnosed as a type 2 at first. 50% get type 1 after the age of 30 and up. There are two tests that are helpful, an antibody test, if positive itā€™s a sign of type 1. Although there are a few type 1ā€™s that donā€™t make the antibodies, but donā€™t make insulin and they donā€™t know why. The second is the previously mentioned C-Peptide test. Low or low normal is a sign of type 1 because it means you arenā€™t making enough insulin. High or high normal is a sign of type 2 because you are making more insulin to compensate for being insulin resistant.

My husband is/was a type 2. He is a vegetarian and he loved junk food, he was overweight and type 2 ran in his family. At some point it caught up with him and his BG level shot up. He wasnā€™t going to change being a vegetarian and he still wanted to eat some of the food he enjoyed. So he learned to limit what he ate when. For instance, he loves a huge bowl of spaghetti and he eats it commonly. But he learned on the days he wants spaghetti he goes and swims for 30-45 minutes before or after. Heā€™s learned to take walks after eating, heā€™s learned there is certain days he has to be more careful of what he eats. To only take 6 crackers instead of the bag to snack on. So in essence portion control, exercise, weight loss and now his A1cā€™s are in the low 6ā€™s. But he also takes Metformin, because it has helped him so much and he still likes some junk food like cookies and it has allowed him to be able to eat that.

So Iā€™m not saying you are a type 1, but we sure are misdiagnosed an awful lot. But if a type 2, I think reviewing what you eat when, along with exercise can play a big part in control.

Below are blood tests for type 1. Because of cost factor a lot of times on the antibody tests they just do the GAD test as itā€™s the most commonly positive one.

• C-Peptide
    While most tests check for antibodies, this test measures how much C-peptide is in a personā€™s blood. Peptide levels typically mirror insulin levels in the body. Low levels of C-peptide and insulin can point to T1D.
  • Insulin Autoantibodies (IAA)
    This tests looks for the antibodies targeting insulin.
  • Insulinoma-Associated-2 Autoantibodies (IA-2A)
    This test looks for antibodies mounted against a specific enzyme in beta cells. Both the IA-2A and GADA tests are common T1D antibody tests.
  • Zinc Transporter 8 (ZnT8Ab)
    This test looks at antibodies targeting an enzyme that is specific to beta cells.
  • Islet Cell Cytoplasmic Autoantibodies (ICA)
    Islet cells are clusters of cells in the pancreas that produce hormones, including insulin. This test identifies a type of islet cell antibodies present in up to 80 percent of people with T1D.
  • Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase Autoantibodies (GADA or Anti-GAD)
    This test looks for antibodies built against a specific enzyme in the insulin-producing pancreatic beta cells.
1 Like

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

Rice. My down fall too. Even a couple of forks full of white rice send me running for more Novalog

4 Likes

Well, i was a type 2 by mid thirties. I am now age 78. What matters a great deal, keeping blood sugar low, is low carb meals. I only eat beyond 3 or 4 carb meals very infrequently. I count carbs, i know things i must avoid, things that are acceptable. I try to minimize insulin, its not great in big amounts. Best. Jim

3 Likes

Wholemeal rice is the one to eat.
Brown rice is the same as white bad in Cally.
Try Bare Naked Noodle substitutes for sphagettj low in gi to and carbs.

You should be careful in making blanket statements. High insulin levels (C-Peptide) in the early stages of T2DM is common. But often over time the Beta cells just give up the ghost from over work. This is the cause of T2DM progressing over time.

I am a T2DM with low C-Peptide levels after 33 years since diagnosis. I AM NOT type1 LADA even though I am currently on an insulin pump.

This is a reiteration of my earlier post, but it bears repeating.

Welcome @Simplguy , to the forum and to the complex world of managing type 2 diabetes. I want to congratulate you on taking this seriously. Many of our brother and sister T2DMs (not on the forum) donā€™t, consequently suffering from a slow steady decline in health.

I am a big proponent of learning which foods adversely affect me by testing. I learned this from Dr. Richard Bernstein (T1DM). While he advocates a very low carbohydrate diet and that works for some including him, it doesnā€™t for all.

The important thing is to learn which foods will spike YOUR BG levels after eating. Also to be aware that it can change. I was able to eat a moderate amount of corn, including corn tortillas, but alas, no more. Rice for me and many is a big no-no. I am currently on an insulin pump and thought I could bolus for the grams of carbohydrate in rice. HA HA, that didnā€™t work for this boy with Cajun roots.

There is this type 2 diabetic from Australia, Alan Shadley who has a blog. I like to refer T2DMs to his blog, especially these 2 pages.

Besides diet, the most important thing for all diabetics, but especially type 2s is regular exercise. None of the therapies will work without proper diet and regular exercise. They all say something like, (fill in the blank) can help regulate blood glucose levels along with diet and exercise.

You are getting 20 minutes walking in per day. I suggest you kick that up to a minimum of 30 continuous minutes and pick up the pace.

You also mention that you are basically sedentary at work. You might look into one of those under desk devices such as DeskCycle. There are several different ones, I just happen to have that one. 30 to 40 minutes spinning on it will drop my BG.

Learn what food to avoid, increase your exercise time, stay on top of it, and you may even be able to drop the Metformin dose or completely.

But always be aware that your insulin secreting Beta cells have been overworking for years. They often tire, weaken and are no longer able to secrete much or any insulin. This is why T2DM is a progressive disease. Do the work early and it may never progress.

I hope this isnā€™t too much for a simple guy.

What I said is true for a newly diagnosed individual. However, it IS true that after years of diabetes, the beta cells in a T2 die from over work and the individual will show low or no c-peptide and will need external insulin supplied.

1 Like