New Dexcom update Yuk! Now you have to

My Tandem t:slim pump is my receiver. I cannot imagine using my phone as my receiver as I have too much input from my phone as it is. What type of pump do you have and would using it as a receiver be an option for you?
Jane

1 Like

Do you use the T:connect APP on your phone? This shows real-time data from both Dexcom cgm and tandem pump. I prefer using that for quick view of BG/cgm trend, IOB, cartridge insulin level, etc.

2 Likes

I am not sure if you are replying to me? I have never used my pump tslim x2 for this. I use the phone because I need it to communicate with the watch because it is easier to look at quickly when teaching etc. i also use the receiver on my pump belt.

I have T:connect on my laptop for uploading pump data before my appointments. Sometimes I view the data, but not often. On my pump screen, I can look at the trend in 3 hour blocks up to 24 hours back. I look at CGM number often on my pump and adjust accordingly if I need a small correction. My profile settings haven’t changed in a year. My HbA1c ranges 5.4-5.6.

I thought I was replying to the first person on this subject. Anyway it doesn’t matter. Everyone seems to have a different way to make it work. For me, I like to minimize the number of technical devices that I have to carry or wear.

1 Like

The new update with their decision to add the forced critical alerts is really messing up what some of us had set up. In my case it seems to be an all or nothing now. Take all alerts, banners and all, or nothing at all. Even with banners turned off but allowing notifications a banner and the sound went across my screen while I was on a phone call and the banner wouldn’t go away until I hit it and it took me to the Dexcom ap.

I am now using the Dexcom reader to give me alerts, turning off the functions of the alerts on the phone, making the phone ap virtually useless during the day. I turn it back on at night as I keep my phone upright on at night on a charger stand so I can glance at my BG number number if I want. I have a bigger acceptable range at night so hopefully that works well enough.

Like we needed something to interfere with our life even more. Not an improvement at all. I am really wanting Dexcom to have some better competition. That usually makes companies try to appeal to it’s customer base instead of having to put up with what they do…

@meee You could try this…On the Dexcom ap go to alerts and shut off always sound. Then to your settings under Notifications on your phone and look for the Dexcom ap and turn off allow notifications. It still will interfere sometimes with banners on me, but it seems to mostly turn off the sound alerts as my phone is always on mute. I don’t have a watch or your pump to see if it works.

You can’t turn off critical alerts it looks like, as it won’t send a constant signal out without wanting you to change the setting back to it. Which is what I have done now, but I bet it won’t send the signal to your watch if you do that. You could try it though.

2 Likes

I agree the update is very annoying. I have a theory. Apple has a “Focus” work, home, sleep etc… that allows users to decide what apps can send alerts during different “focus” times.

I think this caused some Dexcom users to not get alerts from the app depending on a users focus settings. So apple added a new type of unblock able notification called “Critical Alerts” but they only let certain app developers use it that meet some criteria like medical alerts.

1 Like

I did something like that, let me look again and I will post. But I want the watch I just don’t want that awful beep.

This is so disrespectful that they do stuff like this.

I should not have to turn off the ap to not get continual annoying beeps. Somehow it is overiding everything like you said.

It also keeps saying notifications are off when they are not. Critical alerts are not your range settings, this is idiocy. Mine are 80-120 and no I am not changing that.

I think turning sound off overnight stopped the awful beeping on my watch. I am not sure really tbh.

2 Likes

@ChrisP That kind of makes sense, because before this update, my phone would not always alert me, but it was random. sometimes all night, sometimes for an hour. But that happened maybe 10-20% of the time? That’s the only reason I decided to go ahead and update the ap.

But taking away our ability to decide what we want to set? Yuk!

I’ve been trying to get the new t:slim pump software update for a week now. I’ve gone through the training three times. It never sends me the authorization code. I’ve called Tandem five times, just get put into the call-back queue.

I don’t know that I’ve ever had an update to the Dexcom app. How do you get that? Is it automatic?

@Rob5 I’m not sure you want it! But if you do, and you are using an iphone, go to the ap store and in the top right corner of your screen there is a silhouette and it will have a red number with the amounts of available updates for your aps. Touch that and then look for the Dexcom G6.

Thank you. It turns out that I must have updates turned on to install automagically. I have version 1.10.1 of the Dexcom app, which appears to be the latest.

I’m not getting any of the bothersome alerts that others have complained about. My iPhone & iWatch are behaving nicely.

Rob

2 Likes

On the Apple Watch app go to Sound & Haptics, then the top-most control is for “Alert Volume”. Set that to either the lowest position or toggle Silent Mode on. No more noise from your watch. I have the watch set to vibrate for the notifications I want to receive. Which are very, very few.

This still allows me to accept, hear and speak for phone calls from my wrist. But it alerts to a call by vibrating.

2 Likes

I had it at the lowest volume and now set to silent mode on but it says it will not mute alarms or timers while charging. I will see what happens… I can’t find where notifications are in the watch app.

I am testing a libre two and it automatically alerts my phone and watch, ugh, it is even louder too.

ok and even though I turned off sound it is still beeping VERY loudly on my phone for low bg, this is crazy! so I close out the app when I go to sleep. I would never use this because of this loud crazy sound, the libre.

I discovered that the sound was loud on the watch app even though it looked low and now when I turned off the sound as well, the watch seems to only vibrate now, a softer vibrate at lower volume, lol. so hopefully at least my watch will stfu :joy_cat:

1 Like

@marie20 are you talking about a Dex app on a phone or on the T:slim for a person with the Control IQ? I went to my cgm on my Tslim x2 and then Alerts. All I have are high/low, rise/fall, and out of range.
I can’t turn everything off that I want to either. By setting my BG high to 250 per my NP, i stopped the 6am beeps for “you had a high 7 (or 8) hours ago. Check your BG” alarms. Not my preference to set a bg that high but I chose sleep.

1 Like

@Blueburd I would choose sleep too. I don’t have a T slim, (or a watch) so I’m not sure what controls are in place for that. Or what the difference could be.

There are two places on an iphone to adjust notifications. One is on the Dexcom ap under settings, then alerts and the other is under settings then notifications on the iphone, But it seems to be all or nothing. Except I can turn off all notifications in both spots and leave critical alerts on and at least can look at my BG and graphs. But I have been using the receiver for alerts. Today when my sensor expired I haven’t started a new one. I wake up to lows, so I’m not caring at the moment about wearing one.

I have an Apple Watch, but never heard noise re: lows. Then I remembered I set the watch on “theater mode” ages ago to shut it up after every blessed thing made it chirp—phone calls, messages, etc.

On your Apple Watch, scroll down on watch face to options (like airplane for “airplane mode”, moon for “do not disturb”,etc.). Scroll further down to drama masks—>theater mode shuts off alarms but keeps vibration.

4 Likes

Just bumping this up to see if there’s anything new to report on people’s experiences with the updated version. My plan was to hold off updating b/c I have no issues with the current version and people seem to be having lots of gripes with the new one. But I just got an in-App message that I need to update by Sept 7, at which point the old version will stop working. Ack! Appreciate @Rob5’s comment that he’s not having any problems. Generally people tend to post when they DO have issues, so “hey it’s fine” tends to be underrepresented. I’d particularly like to hear from anyone who’s just using the iPhone app, as that’s my situation–I’m not using it in an AID pump.

1 Like

@DrBB What revision of the Dexcom app are you currently using?

I’m on 1.9.0 and I haven’t had any upgrade messages

I’m 1.10.1 and have not received any update notifications. :roll_eyes:

1 Like