New Here

Hello all! I'm new to this site and wanted to introduce myself. Sorry if the into is a little long.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 D when I was 22 years old. After months of trial and error,I found that I was not responding to any oral meds. Then I was put on Lantus. I followed the Doc's instructions & increased my dosage over time. I never saw good results from that either. The dosage of Lantus that I got up to was absurd, not to mention, expensive. I am one of those people that was probably misdiagnosed with Type 2. I have never had the proper tests done to confirm LADA but this was what my doctor mentioned to me.

The next step was using Humalog and then getting an insulin pump. I was seeing great results with the pump but I can longer use it due to cost. Even with health insurance the supplies were not affordable for me.

8 months ago I tragically lost my Mother. This event really took a toll on me and how I've been caring for myself, especially where my D is concerned. To put it simply, I haven't been doing what I should be doing to take care of myself.

The other day my boyfriend questioned me on what I've been doing to take care of my D. I got upset with him because everything he was saying was true and the truth hurt.

Today is a new day and I'm doing my best to get back on track with my insulin injections and testing.

After November 4th, I will be uninsured. I plan on switching from Humalog to Novolin that is sold at Walmart for $24.88 per vial. I'm am looking to cut costs in any way because I'll be paying for everything out of pocket. I just starting nursing school and am unable to keep exactly enough hours to stay full time at work. If I kept my insurance at work it would go from $98 per month to $342 per month because I'll be considered part time.

I'm happy that I've found this site and I look forward to hearing other people's stories and learning more about D.

That's a hair-raising story! I'm sorry to hear about your mom and your travails!

Welcome. Losing your mother at 22 is very tough. I lost my father at 25 and it certainly took some time to get my life back on track.

Will you be able to stay on Lantus or Levemir for your basal? Switching to NPH will make management a lot tougher. It's easy for me to say - I have good insurance - but if you can possibly swing the insurance or find some way to afford modern insulins you'll have an easier time getting back in control.

Lots of people on this site have decades of experience and should be able to answer questions about using the older insulins if you have questions.

Take care,

Maurie

Kiddo, I can't help you with information about insulin, but I really understand what you and a lot of kids your age are going through right now. It's hard enough to work and go to school without all the other problems. I just want to say "good job" for trying to get back on track. I'm glad you're here and hope you have some good times coming your way.

wow. that is quite a story. so sorry to hear about your mother. i hope you have other people to depend on for help and support live and in person, tho tuD is always a help! i dot know about using the old insulins but there is an assistance programme from novonordisk in the us that gives away free insulin if you meet som requirements and here is the link:

http://novonordisk-us.com/documents/article_page/document/Patient_Assistance_DBM.asp

there are some older threads on here about getting cheap insulin and free sample vials/pens from doctors.

good luck with nursing school! are you doing a 2 year or 4 year degree?

Welcome to TuD! It's one of the few places that really understands what you're going through. Today is a new day. Well done on picking yourself up and getting back on the bandwagon.

I can't help you with finding cheaper insulin, but hopefully if you cut down on carbs and eat more fat and protein you will need less of the stuff.

Thank you still_young_at_heart. I was actually 25 when my Mother died (I'm 26 now). I should have mentioned that the story I shared took place over the course of 4 years. That wasn't very clear.

That's great that you have good insurance. I hope to say the same once I finish school. I work for a hospital and their benefits were not good at all. I actually had better benefits at an old retail job I had. Sad.

I plan on looking into some of those programs. The problem I've run into in the past is that they look at income using the prior years tax information. Last year I was working full time and was able to afford health insurance and co pays on my own. This part time thing will be new so I don't know if that would be taken into consideration.

Thanks for the link. I'll search the older threads for more information.

My nursing program is 2 a 2 year degree. At 26, this is a second career for me. Quite and undertaking. :)

Thanks for the support and welcome. It's nice to be among people that walk in my shoes and share similar experiences.

I certainly is not easy. :)

Thanks acidrock23!

Have you seen this?

http://www.tudiabetes.org/notes/Diabetes_Patient_Assistance_Resources

Thank you so much for sharing this with me! I'll check out those links.