New Kid on the Blog!

Mmmmm … cyber world! How I cannot live without you :slight_smile:

I will be linking my blogs from here to my original journal at (or you can just click under the link to “Jerissa Says” on the left hand side of my profile page).

But, let’s not jump forward too fast, as I have yet to introduce myself to my new found community.

I am a bubbly, young professional experiencing life to the fullest in the Windy City. I have a wonderful husband, and of course, our little puppy named Rokket who love me for me and have been there through thick and thin.

I’m new to the realm of diabetes (and of course,, so I hope to gain some friends and support as I live and breathe with it.

…It’s a big deal … being diagnosed with this disease, and I just did not realize how so many people are affected with it…

I recall the first time I encountered it. I was in 5th grade at a Catholic grade school, and there was a girl (a grade lower than myself), that was in the restroom. She was by herself, huddled in front of one white porcelin sink. I remember what she looked like too – she had short medium brown hair with red, tear-streaked brown eyes. She was staring at what looked like a thick calculator. I approached her and asked if she was ok. She burst into more tears and pointed at the number on the meter. I felt sorry for her and did not understand what the significance the number played. As she sobbed and hiccupped, I tried to comfort her and did not ask questions.

Days would pass by at school, and I would look for her, but she never returned.

I never really thought about that girl again, until the night I was diagnosed.

I was recently diagnosed with diabetes on October 25, 2009. Originally, I went to the ER because of a different ailment, but was admitted because of my glucose levels. When the ER doctor explained why I was being admitted, I remember the tremors of shock going through me.

“I can’t believe this!”
“Why me?!”
“This cannot be happening.”
“This must be a mistake!”
“They must be joking, right?”

And as those thoughts ran across my mind, I just wanted to turn away and shut things up. Those two nights and three days I spent in the hospital was excruciating. They wouldn’t let anyone stay with me, only visits from 10a-5p. My diet was regulated, and I was only allowed to have up to 75g per meal. The nurses (bless them for their kindness) would come in before each meal and test my sugar, first thing in the morning, and before I slept. I hate needles (and still do), and so each and every prick I had to endure I needed to turn away to hide the escaping tears. Every nurse that would come in whispered an, “I’m sorry,” and then I’d hear the snap, feel the squeeze, a beep, and would be told where my sugar was at.

The labtechs were the worse. They must have come by every other hour to draw blood. Everytime I saw them come into my room, I wanted to run and hide. I remember looking at my badly bruised arm, and silently cursing each and every labtech, “…Never AGAIN!” I’d thought to myself, yet they always came back for more.

Then the endocrinologist walked in to meet with me…

It hasn’t been easy with my recent life change – all the hustle and bustle of checking my bg and taking my medication. Plus having to work that into my already busy schedule?! I’m amazed that I’ve come this far, and still have my sanity! LOL

I suppose this is the reason why I’ve decided to join in - to learn and educate myself. I’m here to fight this disease and hope, along with so many others affected, stop diabetes.

Alas, this is the end for this blog, at least for now. Until next time, this is all I have to say.