New Medtronic CGMS - iPro2

I have no trouble with my MM CGM either. It’s normally spot on when I enter a calibration. I do make sure that I only enter a calibration number if my BG is close to normal range though - when I used to calibrate it when I was significantly high or low then it was not accurate.

I’m sure I would have just as much success with the Dexcom but see no need to change.

And my A1C’s are in the 5.x level - 5.7 at the moment.

John…Careful… if you had learned to use the MM when you had it, you might have a different attitude. The wteork to get is working is a bigger challenge than the Dexcom, but the accuracy when tested in a clinical environment is almost identical with all three CGM. The next version of the MM sensor and transmitter is a part of the approved Phase III Artificial Pancreas study just approved by the FDA.

Bashing the produce serves no value to those who are looking because all three system have their good and bad features.

If anyone is interested in choosing a CGM read the clinical studies and try and get a demo for several days, maybe the life of one sensor.

Personally, I would no choose the Dexcom because of the brittle sensor which I think I would have issues and end up with embedded sensor wires based on the reported broken sensors by several patients (FDA reporting).

II have to challenge your statement.

In the last major study on CGM use, sponsored by JDRF, diabetics who benefit most from using their CGM are those that are controlling their diabetes and are averaging lower A1C.

The reality is that the better manager you are of your own diabetes the more benefit you will get from using the CGM.

As a well controlled T1D before CGM (39.5 years) the improvement in management after using the CGM.

And, even better, much of the daily T1D stress has also disappeared from my daily T1D challenge.

Pre CMG A1c, 6.0 - 6.2, post CGM A1c are 5.8. That is a big improvement for an old experienced well managed T1D. This is the same as what was discovered in the JDRG sponsored CGM study.

As apposed to what you stated, the better you control your BG pre CGM, the better improvement you can achieve, that is the reality of CGM use.

There are a lot of people (like me) who are “taking care of their diabetes” and would love a CGMS but can’t get one because their insurance doesn’t cover it and they can’t afford it out of pocket. I am seriously considering trying to get one with my next pump (Minimed unfortunately, as that’s the only choice of CGMS here in Canada), but insurance companies here have been much slower at adopting the technology than in the U.S., so I’m not holding my breath. I would love to buy one myself but can’t afford the $2,000 transmitter and receiver and $50 per sensor. So in my case, using one of these iPro CGMS for a week gave me some incredible data that I could use to fine-tune my control.

(Minimed unfortunately, as that’s the only choice of CGMS here in Canada) quote from your response …Jennifer, why are you using the word " unfortunately " referring to Minimed ??..actually my question is off topic, as far as Dan’s discussion is concerned …iPro2 , the gadget designed for use by physicians . I hope you get a chance to wear lPro number 2 …let the readers know , please .
To add : I understand it is in Canada , the employer /employee or through private insurance ( one self ) , who pay for the coverage of insurance plans including such items such as CGMS , pumps, meds, visit to the physio, etc. etc.

I also have the Revel system (3 months). The transmitter can hold up to 40 minutes of data and will transmit that to the pump once the signal is regained. The 30 minutes “Weak Signal” alert is the default and gives you a little time to get “back into range”. I have noticed that sometimes working around the computer I get weak signal problems.

As for the iPro, that is the Professional Version and only to be used by Doctors. I had used one prior to getting my CGM as a “Baseline” to determine my basal rates. The one thing I don’t understand is, is the iPro more accurate than the sensor we use on a daily basis? If it is, why not upgrade that technology now?

From what research I have done on it, the sensor is the same. The only change is the “transmitter” It will hold more readings then the one that you use for personal use. The end result is that you no longer have to carry around that receiver like you did with the old professional cgms. Less work for the patient, and they can use the log of finger sticks that you do to calibrate after the fact.

I think what this will give the Dr is a set of every day readings. Since the patient cannot see what is going on like they can with a private cgms, they are not going to make drastic changes in their current care. This will give the Dr a true picture of what might be going on.

Mostly just because the Dexcom looks like it has an easier to read display compared to Minimed (I’m visually impaired so honestly the display is by necessity the #1 factor I take into consideration when buying new diabetes technology like pumps and meters). I also like that you can tag blood sugars with events, don’t think this is possible with the Minimed one.

I also generally don’t like having one choice (no choice) when choosing a product. :slight_smile:

Everyone I have talked to says that most insurance companies here don’t cover CGMS. I do know one person who has insurance coverage, though, but she works at a university and probably has a really good plan. Still, I am going to try and get one and see what happens. In the meantime I may well try the iPro again because my control has been completely off-track lately and it would be nice to figure otu waht’s going on.

Yes but remember, its only for 7 days. After that, you either need to get your own or be with out it.

Jennifer J …you are proving again , that I need d to learn much more about technology /comp. stuff …ie " tag blood sugars with events" ??? I did not get , that iPro2 is av. here in Canada, but could be wrong …Health Canada sets the rules there .I hope it is soon available to you !
PS : I am too covered for my CGMS through a generous plan .

Tag blood sugars with events just means you place a marker or note things like carb intake, insulin doses, exercise, etc.

Diana

I definately find the Dex screen easier to read than Minimed’s. I’m just very near sighted but it’s hard at night when I don’t have my glasses on.

But if you go with Minimed you won’t lose the ability to tag events. If you use the minimed pump and use the bolus wizard all the insulin and carb info is integrated along with the CGMS stuff. You can actually see bolus markers right on the CGMS graph without downloading. With the Revel or the Guardian you can place a marker for exercise too.

On the Dex you can enter events but none of them are accessible from the receiver only if you dowload.

In case you’re wondering I just recently started using Animas Ping pump and Dex CGMS but previously I used Minimed’s pumps and CGMS. So I’ve personal experience with both systems and also recently pretty extensively researched what was currently available out there.

Diana

DiansS…ah ,ha …I am able to do 'tag " with my link Bayer Contour meter /MM pump as well…but I don’t …only because I am the old fashioned gal and like to write and above all have not studied the process :slight_smile: . CareLink also provides me with the data …and you explained all this in your next response …Thank you .

I agree. It is like a virtuous cycle.

The better control you get the more accurate the CGM is so the more you can reduce highs/lows resulting in better control and better CGM accuracy.

My A1C went from 7.5 to 6.1 after 3 months of CGM use. It also changed my eating habits as I could see in ‘real time’ just what effect each item of food had on my BG.

Same here. I can’t wear one daily due to insurance problems, but even just occasional use has helped a ton.

This device is for physicians only. It is not intended for daily at home use. For example: a patient is testing 6 times a day. Still he and his medical team can not identify the reason why his A1c does not match the meter values. Is it post meal related? Is it a rise in the night? With the iPro2 the physician can get the full picture.

Why not using the normal CGMS products? 1. for the medtonic CGMS you would need the pump too (not helpful with other pumps or MDI patients). 2. visual feedback like the Dexcom is giving will influence the behaviour of the patient. But the physician wants to see several days of normal behaviour to identify the causes for fluctuations. This is why the iPro2 is just a black box. 3. a visual feedback device like the Dexcom is more costly than a simple sensor with extended memory. So the iPro2 is a stripped down version for the purpose of patient monitoring. It is just another market to utilize the production capability of Medtronic for sensors. This way it can help to reduce the price per sensor and this would be a good development.

You mentioned a Phase III for a Artificical Pancreas, do you have a link to this? What does Phase III mean.

my insurance actually covers the CGM and the pump. It just depends on which they’ll cover

I have to say this is untrue as i know plenty of people who love their minimed -

• it does not hurt
    -little or no scartissue
    -very accurate
    -up to 8 rarely 10 points off.
  • usually within 3-5 points off fingerstick

Wow - I tried this system 18 months ago and now. Both times I have not had any of the luck you list above. I am so tired of having to mail back the sensor and get a replacement shipped to me.