Hi …

I’m a new member and am looking to give as well as receive support. I was diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic in 2005 … but if I look back all the signs were there. I have intense anxiety about it now because I’m single and am worried I won’t be able to take care of myself as I age.

I have either beginning signs of neuropathy or I’m tingling and burning because I’m scared. My A1C is 6.2 and I’m following a fairly low carb diet to bring my numbers done. My daily average is around 100 and I rarely go over 110.

I have four sons: one a lawyer, a musician, a college student, and a senior in high school. I am a devout Christian and am trying to lean on the Lord for support but could use it from others as well.

Thank you -
Ruth

Hey Ruth!
I think the best support is from your family and friends. The other thing is to be open about diabetes. I’ve found people to be remarkably open and understanding. I think this group is great too, and I’ve definitely found diabetics are the most supportive and understanding people I’ve ever met.
I started reading Dr. Bernstein’s book and if he can stay active and healthy, we all can. I don’t know how old he is, but he must be in his seventies now.

Hi Ruth,
I was diagnosed in Feb. of this year, but, like you, had signs of it coming for years…guess they call that “pre-diabetes”, huh? I, too, have neuropothy in my hands & feet, but it could be caused from my chronic high blood pressure, or that’s what I’ve read. I have 2 adult children, 8 grand children, 1 great-grandchild, and a son who is a Senior in high school! How bout that? lol I, too, am a Christian, trying to stay active in my church.
Your A1C is great, as well as your daily readings! My last A1C was 6.9, compared to 9.9 when I was diagnosed. My daily readings average around 150, so not that great… I’m trying my best to stick to my diet, which is hard sometimes. I also do daily chair exercises as I have limited mobility due to severe arthritis.
Look forward to sharing with you!
connie

Welcome!
I will try to help you but I’m a Type 1 and really know nothing about Type 2. If you like we can learn from each other! We can always be there to support each other,
Doris

Hi Ruth,
I’m mom to 7/ with 6 at home. I think I’m type 2. :slight_smile: Click on my page and come visit,read my story:)
If you need to lose or gain weight; come visit us off the main page in Weight Loss Team!
Or even if just to exchange a recipe that you think we might like or gain one from us:)
Welcome Ruth!
MeadowLark

Hey Ruth,

I was just diagnosed with Type 2 in June of this year. I’ll be turning 37 next month. My initial AIC was 13 and my fasting blood glucose was 310. I am the only one in my family with Diabetes, so my initial, uneducated thought was this is it. I’m done. I was pretty frustrated, anxious and to be quite honest angry with myself. How could I have let this happen. Was it because I ate too much food? What about my family. Would I be around in 5, 10, 20 years to grow old with them? I felt like I was free falling from a plane without a parachute.

Then a few weeks back, I found this site and posted my first entry about having an internal tantrum. Within an hour of my post, I started receiving messages from others on the site. They shared their stories, insights, and words of encouragement with me. I was so excited to find this community, who all shared a common denominator. I hope you find support and resources on this site too.

Take care.
Tracy