New Omnipod and Dexcom integration

I got these crazy readigs every few days…and the folks at Dexcom blamed it on substances I wasnt condscious I was taking" ie, acetaminahin…whidh does cause the dex readings to go crazy.

Yea, except my problem was that the Dex was right… I’d do three back-to-back tests on my glucose meter and get readings of like 290, 170, and 180 when the dex was reading 177. If I’d corrected for the 290 I would have been in real trouble.

I actually prefer the Dex because you don’t have any proprietary test strips so I can do all my blood tests on my Omnipod and then just input them into the Dex. I do wish I had the every minute update but I don’t mind sacrificing that for the smaller needles and smaller sensor size of the Dexcom.

I believe you are correct Bradford - Navigator reports every minute, DexCom gets a reading every minute, but reports the average of those reading every 5 minutes.

I would be interested in that study! I actually thought I had read that somewhere too, but then I thought I was just dreaming it up :slight_smile:
You’re right that the major issue is the lifespan of the devices. I know most use their CGMs off label–myself included–to extend sensor life by using sensors more than once. If they were integrated into one device, there would obviously be issues…And it’s outside my scope of knowledge to figure out what the easiest way to decrease the cost of sensors would be (using different/cheaper materials that don’t last as long, but are still as accurate, etc) :slight_smile:

Was he refering to both? The smaller pod and Dexcom intergration?

Has anyone any experience with the “solo” pump from Medingo? Its a good looking option, with no tubing (all the plusses of the Omni) with the added benefit of a removable insulin reservoir…so when there is a "bad’ pod or pod location, it can be relocated without losing any insulin. ???

I tried the demo solo. It has the "advantage of being fully attached to the adhesive portion (the base at least), so it felt a little more “secure” with no wriggling. However, I wore it mostly just to see what it was like, as I have no intention of switching over. The problem (at least for me) is that it’s not waterproof, which was one of the BIG reasons that I switched over. So it has all the “problems” of a tubed pump, while being tube free. So for me, it’s a good effort but not good enough :slight_smile: I’m glad to see competition though, b/c that only means more R & D for better options.

Yes, He was referencing both.

thamks for the info!

“So it has all the “problems” of a tubed pump”

Could you explain what “all the problems” are? Other then it’s not waterproof. The Solo easily detaches from the base for showering and swimming.

I’m on the list at my doctor’s office to trial the Solo, we were told late January, I called back the first week of February to ask about it and was told there were some “unexpected delays” but they’d contact me as soon as they heard anything. I still haven’t heard back from them. My big issue with the solo is that the glucose meter isn’t attached, I really REALLY don’t want to have to carry around another device.

I obtained a dummy demo, but I was thoroughly unimpressed for these reasons:

1. No integrated blood glucose meter.
  2. No automated cannula insertion – requires a separate and large device.
  3. Not really all that detachable – the base remains as a large plastic footprint.
  4. No integrated CGM on the horizon.

Sorry I didn’t mean to step on anyone’s toes who’s eying the Solo. I got away from tubed pumps because of the waterproof aspect of the pod. I train for and compete in triathlons, and at some points in my training, I’m in the pool continuously doing laps for 2 to 2 1/2 hrs. Missing basals by disconnecting from my tubed pump (and in this case, from hypothetically detaching the Solo from me) left me w/ okay numbers during the swim, that would skyrocket uncontrollably afterwards, no matter what techniques I tried (like stacking basals before the swim and loading up on mega carbs right before starting, or stopping part way (which I could never do during an actual race–at least not and be competitive) and bolusing some but also take in more carbs to cover the immediate effects of the exercise, etc). Nothing seemed to work. Then along came the pod! Problem solved. I can decrease basals for the increased activity without having to go completely without, and I have much better numbers both during and after the swim. When I’m racing, it’s also one less thing I have to do during transition between the swim and the bike (reconnecting)…which means less time on the course, which means finishing better :slight_smile:
So I need to amend my first statement, because I guess “problems” sounds like a whole handful of stuff, when really it was only 2 items. The uncontrolled glucose was a major item in my book, but the reconnection is not that big of a deal in normal day to day activities.
The other items I’d mention are along the lines of Jaybear, a few posts below here:
No integrated BG meter
No auto cannula insertion (just like the MMs I used to use, where I had to carry extra tools or face trying to insert it myself)
And of course, no integrated CGM (which the pod will have at some point…and I realize that the MM paradigm has the real-time system, which I also used, and found to be pretty inaccurate and painful, so which I also subsequently stopped using)

That’s very exciting… thanks for the info.