Xdrip vs. Dexcom app? (G6)

Any key differences? I am a considering switching to Xdrip due to compatibility limitations with the Dexcom app. I’ve found Dexcom app to be very reliable lately (despite the annoyance of restarts with the new sensors) and am wondering if there are any compelling reasons NOT to make the switch. I see this topic has been covered in the past but am looking for recent experiences. Thanks all!!

Seems like you could keep both installed. But only enter correct transmitter id in the one you want to use, and connected to Bluetooth.
I don’t have phone compatible with dexcom app, so just use xDrip.

One of my favorite xDrip features is that it shows the point difference from previous reading. It has options to record events and add notes, which I do occasionally, and see history and past averages. Even if I had compatible phone, I’d still use xDrip.

1 Like

I love Xdrip because I can customize whatever alerts I want, with whatever tones I want, and have as many as I want. I know exactly what is going on just by the sound. If my phone sings “sugar, sugar” to me, I know I need sugar. If it sings Chris Isaak’s “baby did a bad, bad thing”, then I either forgot to bolus or over-indulged. I’ve got another very non-intrusive alert (I picked it just because it’s a rising tone, but my husband thinks it sounds like the Jetsons theme song), that’s set at 135, just so I can double-check the amount of IOB is enough. I can also change them at night, so I only get woken up if I actually need to act. Dexcom does NOT give you that freedom. You just set high and low limits.

Xdrip let’s you put your reading in the notification bar constantly. You can always see it hovering at the top of your phone, not just when you’re on the homescreen.

Xdrip let’s you customize your display colors and fonts, even on the widget. Might not be important to some, but I like having it not-ugly.

You can log other data into Xdrip easily, fingersticks, carbs, medications, notes, etcs…

Xdrip gives you better statistical data, in more formats to help you process it.

If you set up the feature, Xdrip can recommend needed grams of carbohydrate or units of insulin to correct. Dexcom can’t.

Xdrip doesn’t share data with Dexcom in any way, unless you choose to link Dexcom follow or clarity into it, so they can’t try to track/outsmart sensor restarts.

The only downside I’ve found to Xdrip is that later versions of Android with beefy security really don’t like apps running all the time. I think OEM Medical apps are able get some sort of security certificate that let’s them run with less bother. My phone likes to put Xdrip to sleep at night when I am, and the phone has been idle, no matter how many settings and permissions I adjust. Sometimes it will stop receiving data and when I wake up, it will say “signal missed 5 hours ago…”, Or something similar. I have to go into the “system status” page, and tell it to “forget device”, then “restart collector” to wake it back up. Rarely, that doesn’t even work, and then I have to restart the phone. I don’t think everyone has that problem, though, seems to depend on manufacturer and their version of an Android generation. I’m running a OnePlus 6 with Android 10.

3 Likes

In my opinion, NO. See Robyn’s list.

And…
I have xDrip set up on phone to display all
night, so at a glance can see current readings. Also have xDrip as source to display on fitbit watch, and watch sends some data to xDrip screen.

I found instructions for android settings that keep phone display awake when its plugged in. Need to first update developer settings.

Thanks, but my husband insists I don’t do that anymore. I used to, for apps other than Xdrip, and it’s terrible for battery life. Luckily, it’s not difficult to replace batteries yourself, but the cost does add up. I’ve never tried it with Xdrip specifically, I don’t know if that would help the shutting it down or not. Since I get the signal on my pump regardless, I don’t sweat the nighttime signal loss on my phone.

Yikes, are you saying Xdrip requires the display to be on to work or is this a fluke? (I have an S20 phone and leaning toward Versa 2 Fitbit for the watch)

No, Xdrip doesn’t require your screen to be on. I was trying to explain that the only downside for me is related to the OnePlus 6 tweaked version of Android 10. They keep beefing up security on later versions of Android, making it difficult for an app to run all the time in the background.

Samsung users had their own problems when upgraded to Android 10, but Xdrip developers fixed that by adding a toggle in the settings.

For me, the biggest benefit of keeping with the Dexcom ecosystem is lower maintenance and its ease of use, while providing the information I need. It is not because I can’t manage technology, as I’ve worked in IT for the last 25 years, and currently design application systems, but that is possibly why I gravitate toward lower maintenance. I have had very few problems with the Dexcom app system.

My ecosystem:

Hardware

• Samsung 10+
  • iPad Pro (2, one each for myself and spouse)
  • Fossil Gen5 Carlyle Watch
  • iMac

Apps

• Dexcom G6
  • Dexcom Follow (for my spouse)
  • Dexcom Clarity (for analysis)
  • GlucoGram (Mac Menu Bar App)

I’ve looked into alternative applications, but found them unappealing, as the biggest driver was to have attractive watch faces, as well as get complications in the watch face. That was an unsatisfying experience, as the watch faces were no better than the Dexcom, and in truth, much more trouble than they were worth. Even then, almost any 3rd party app or set of apps, have little value for me.

I care about my short-term and long-term values, average A1c, notification for lows and very lows, and charting so I can understand problem areas and patterns. I can get that from the Dexcom apps. A deeper analysis does not appeal to me, nor do customized ringtones, at least beyond what the Dexcom offers.

Additionally, my data can be read by my endocrinologist and her team, without me having to upload the data. Once I set the office up in the Clarity app, it is seamless. From what I’ve read, other systems require manual download/uploads, and sometimes clearing IT administration hurdles.

2 Likes

Does anyone have a sense of the latest way to get xDrip on an iPhone? Trying to figure this out on my own is a bit of a mess!

Do you mean using Spike?
You may want to start a new topic for that or check the Facebook group listed in FAQ.

Xdrip is primarily an Android program I’ve seen a few iterations of an apple app floating around, but the Apple version sucks. It’s not the same at all Apple doesn’t allow enough freedom for it.

I think I just had an hallelujah moment! Was playing around in the settings, looking for anything else I could do to keep my Xdrip up and running at night, when my husband suggested that the Battery Saver feature might be turning off location (a required permission) or something else. That would totally explain why it happens irregularly, as I never keep my phone plugged in overnight. It’s terrible for the battery to overcharge it.

Then I found this buried setting:

I’m totally toggling that “sleep standby optimization” off! Wonder if that will finally put an end to my random disconnects.

I’m notorious for running my battery down to nothing, since it only takes line 30 minutes to fully charge. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

So to fix your problem (I may have a similar one) do you want those setting ON or OFF?

I only just discovered it, so haven’t tested it out yet, but I turned the “sleep standby optimization” one to “off” after I took the picture.

We’ll see how it fares over the next few nights.

As far as I am concerned, xDrip+ wins – there’s no doubt about it.

When I first started using xDrip, I was a little taken back by the User Interface – it seemed rather complex. But after wandering through the menus and getting familiar with it, I learned that the versatility of the app is invaluable. The features of the app are so extensive, it will do most anything you want. And now that I am familiar with it, the user interface works fine for me.

In particular, I really like the predictive low alarm, which works better than the alternatives and was available years before the alternatives. In addition, I get far fewer nuisance alarms. For example, you can program xDrip to disable any high or low BG alarm when you BG is headed back to normal values.

You actually can compare the two apps side by side. Although you can only connect the G6 to one smart device at a time, xDrip will let you use ‘Dexcom Share/Follow’ as a BG source. Thus, you can setup the Dexcom app with sharing enabled and configure xDrip to “Follow.” The xDrip readings will show up a few seconds later than they would otherwise, but it does work and is a viable way to get a direct real time comparison (when done, ditch the Dexcom app and pair xDrip to the G6 via Bluetooth).

3 Likes

Thanks, I really appreciate your response! Do you happen to know if it is possible to share from phone to watch with Xdrip without internet/wifi connectivity?

I too am interested. As I understand it, the Dex txmtr can communicate with two bt devices, so theoretically this should be possible.

I’m also interested to know how to access the detailed data from xDrip without going through cloud/wifi. Is there a file on my Android device (that collects the xDrip data) that has this? I don’t see it.

I’m so jealous my insurance won’t cover any of these. They said I have to be type one even though my drs have prescribed it. A1C 11.8 been diabetic since 2014.

Have you checked if Freestyle Libre is covered ?