New to Omnipod

Just started the Omnipod today. Doing saline right now. Start on Humalog this coming Thursday morning. My instructor Mary was very good and I was lucky enough to have my daughter there with me. I would like to hear from other’s just starting, their experience as well as those who have been podding for awhile. Should I be watching out for anything? Thanks in advance. By the way, I didn’t even feel the cannula insertion.

I can’t wait until I stop with so many needles per day!

For me, checking my BGs throughout the day and night got old fast even though it was only for a week or so. It was well worth it though for the freedom that I have using my oPod.

My diabetes educator told me that some people have a BG spike when they put on a new pod. That’s true for me! Now I take a unit of insulin right before I change pods. Too cheap to waste a unit of insulin using the new pod! :slight_smile:

I’ve been podding for about 1.5 years. It truly has transformed my life and – as the Insulet tagline says – the Omnipod has made diabetes a smaller part of my life. I hope that you have that experience, too. Keep posting here as you go along – successes and challenges and questions. We all learn a lot from each other.

Janet

My 12 year old has been using the pod about 21/2 months. She also has a spike when changing. We like the built in meter and the fact it will calculate the bolus and adjustment including showing the insulin on board. She’s not at all self conscious about diabetes or shots but it has made it so much easier when we are at a movie, restaurant etc and need a bolus. Just pop in the numbers and go. Not to mention freedom of when to eat and decide to add dessert just do another bolus for the carbs.
We have had only one bad pod and insulet was terrific. She can change the pods by herself and hasn’t had any problems. Due to a high deductible I pay 100% of the costs and don’t regret it a bit. Like Janet it has made diabetes a lot smaller part of our day to day thoughts and time. Hope you enjoy it as much as we have. Greg

Best of luck to you Jon! Your experience may be different than Caleb’s as he started pumping shortly after diagnosis, but I found it a bit of a challenge to get all his settings established particularly when there are several variables you are trying to figure out at once. Should you run into that, I would just say to be patient and try to isolate one thing at a time as much as you can, like getting your basals solid before tweaking too much on IC factors, etc.

My only other piece of advice would be to ask away as questions arise!

Lorraine

I will try my best. Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for taking the time to send me your message. I wish you, your son and the rest of your great family…the very best that life has to offer. Take care Lorraine. xo’s for you and Caleb.