New Vaccine Can Reverse T1D

A friend just sent this link to me. I thought this group may find it interesting…

New Vaccine Can Completely Reverse Autoimmune Diseases.

2 Likes

My initial reaction was, “Vaccine? No way!” But as I read the article, I changed my mind and found it most intriguing. This is definitely “thinking outside the box”. Thanks for posting.

1 Like

Wow, this does sound promising! Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

This really is exciting. Vertex, CellTrans, and other researchers have proven it’s possible to establish new beta cells, but struggle with the immune system side of the equation, to preserve those beta cells. Combine them with an inverse vaccine, though, and you’ve seriously got something.

Surely it needs a better name than “inverse vaccine”, though. I also thought , “BS!” until I read what it was.

Looking forward to reading the full study!

4 Likes

I’ve been seeing the trials for these vaccines for years but they only were taking newly diagnosed. I’m glad to see some movement.

1 Like

I was once told (many years ago when I was in the USA) that there was a gag order on a “cure” for T1D… and whether that’s true or not, just thinking about it logically - if there was a cure and we all stopped needing the immense amount of medication and devices etc etc can you imagine how many people and companies would be put out of work - so in that sense I can understand why coming out with a cure as such might have a lot of roadblocks, even though I obviously don’t think it’s right & want a cure cause if there is, it saves lives essentially but its just another side to think about with why there isn’t a cure yet :woman_shrugging:t2:

For years I have been convinced that there have been cures found for a great many diseases, including diabetes. Can you imagine pharmaceuticals foregoing all those profits “for the people”? NOT! There is NO altruism in these companies. Their only concern is PROFIT at any cost.

1 Like

Even if diabetes dropped off the list, I suspect there are enough other diseases, illnesses, and everyday complaints to keep the profits rolling in. And if there’s one big gag order, isn’t it a little surprising that not one of the 3.83 million pharmaceutical workers in the world – not to mention government researchers and academia and all the R&D going on outside of the big pharmaceutical companies – has spoken up about it?

4 Likes

And how many cures, real cures, have there been since the two polio vaccines came out in the late 1950s, early 1960s? Has there been a cure for the various cancers, rates of which are increasing? Autoimmune diseases such as diabetes, MS, RA, etc.? Yes, there are many treatments offered, most of which, such as chemotherapy, that actually do little to cure and a lot to harm.

1 Like

It’s really not so obvious the way it’s done. No one is sitting on the cure to prevent us from getting it.

The truth is that research money is not funding cures, they are funding treatments.
Also pharma companies are funding treatments, so no one is really looking for cures. Not that they are hiding an existing cure

There is a fine line here with the same outcome, but it’s not realistic to believe in the conspiracy theory thst cures are hidden and we can’t speak about them.

Now this company thst comes up with a cure, will make billions at the outset, and millions down the road because there will be new diagnoses coming down the pipe.

Maybe we will get a cure, maybe we won’t, but at least someone is actually putting a little bit of money into it finally.

9 Likes

Perhaps, with the knowledge we have at this point, cures are simply unattainable. Like cold fusion or the “forever” battery. Cures for autoimmune disorders have proven particularly elusive. But people keep working at it. Before the 20th century, the concept of antibiotics – or, since you mentioned it, the polio vaccine – would have struck many people as farfetched. With the knowledge they had at the time, they couldn’t get there, but we did in time and with deepening knowledge. With recent breakthroughs, such as the one this thread is about, cures inch within reach.

4 Likes

Not many research projects like this one. It’s about time…

1 Like

I respectfully disagree. There’s a huge amount of research going on, not just into cures directly but into treatments that can open the way to cures. It isn’t sexy, though, so it tends not to get announced or followed in the general media unless there’s a momentous breakthrough or a researcher wins a major award (as in the case of Dr. Daniel Drucker at UofT, whose research into diabetes was unknown to most people until he won the Wolf Prize in Medicine this year). The online National Library of Medicine and Nature Portfolio are just two repositories of current research and clinical trials.

5 Likes

I suppose it all depends upon how you define cure. Most of what I read (and this group is great at posting anything new and interesting that crops up regarding diabetes) re current research seems to be about implanting beta cells within some kind of barrier to prevent Tcells from attacking. This research, however, approaches from a completely new direction with a true cure that does not depend upon any kind of gadget or procedure that would need periodic expensive replenishment to continue. It definitely bears watching as it develops.

Thanks so much for sharing this. That sounds promising. It’s great to see scientific and medical progress at work… especially when it affects something so personal… Kudos to empirical research and the scientific method, and people able and willing to apply it!

With all the antigens that test for T1D, multiple vaccines targeting each would seem to be needed.

Might be part of cure, but not a cure in and of itself. If autoimmune disfunction is caught early enough, it could prevent onset of or stop progression of the disease.

This is an important point I hadn’t considered before hearing a talk at the last TCOYD conference.

Here’s the introduction so you know who is talking:

Here is where they start talking about cell replacement as a cure.

I think the title of this thread is revolting. A company is working to develop a vaccine for humans. Fun, but still 10 years away if everything goes right.

Interesting. I am happy to see that someone is trying something different, and I sincerely hope that such advances can someday keep people from developing diseases like MS and T1D. I agree that this study is in its infancy and that none of us will see any widespread use of this for a while, but like everything else, it has to start somewhere.

I do too, but don’t blame the thread creator because that was the name of the cited article’s title. I object to reporting secondary sources because the best of them distort what the original source material said, and all they are driven by a need for views. Many misuse words or words not in the source material and by omission exaggeration and substitution of words unconsciously create lies. Some go a step further and sensationalize what they report with superlatives. The cited source did that.

4 Likes

I previously read a similar, if not the same, article. While I appreciate the efforts involved and the potential, I’m suspicious of the claim. My understanding is T1 T-cells have killed off the Beta cells of the pancreas and that Beta cells don’t auto-regenerate of their own accord. If true, then the next step is to replace the Beta cells which, currently, involves lifelong immuno-suppressants that have their own consequences (discounting Vertex trials of transplants not requiring immuno-suppressants). No Beta cell replacements means no insulin, hence no cure for T1s. Please correct me if I’m wrong, I’d be glad to understand the reasoning and process involved….