No one is perfect

This is my first blog about diabetes. I’ve had it for 15 years, I’m 43 years old. No one is perfect, but we are constantly reminded by a number on a little machine, that we are not, in fact, perfect. I’ve realized that the number can make you feel bad about yourself and make you feel like a failure. We are not failures just because we made a mistake that can happen several times a day. The true failure is the one who gives up and gives in to the love of food. So don’t give up because of a bad day or a bad reading–just keep going. And know that you are going to make mistakes. It’s how you recover from them that makes the difference.

I agree 100%. Attitude is everything and starting over when needed is just giving yourself permission to be human, not always perfect. No one is perfect, so true.

Yes, numbers are just numbers… it’s what you do with them that counts more :slight_smile:

I don’t think it’s being a failure to give in to the love of food. Just cover it with your Insulin.

I agree… What is important is being able to bounce back… We try our best. And indeed nobody is perfect. Its the perseverance to do better is what counts…

Very nice post. I am perfectionist by nature so I know that feeling if you are referring to also. If we were perfect, none of us would have diabetes.

Response to Kathyann–perhaps the word failure was a little harsh in regards to giving up your love of food. But you have to admit that there are certain foods that you have to give up on, otherwise, they are just dangerous. I LOVE Raisin Bran cereal, tried it from time to time and everytime it was a disaster. That’s what I mean about giving up on your love of some foods that are just not good for you.

Perfection is in the eye of the beholder. Eric is perfect, as far as I’m concerned, even if his beta cells no longer function. Diabetes is a facet of his existence but it doesn’t define him.

My point, Elizabeth, is that no one is perfect and that we all make mistakes. I read some of your blogs and I’m sorry that Eric has diabetes. You seem to try to do your very best with his condition, but you admit to making mistakes. No one is perfect, so please don’t feel bad when bad things happen. It is the life of a diabetic and we all need to forgive and forget.