Not known

how did most of you find out about your diabetes . I found out for blood work for surgery . have any of you wished you hadn’t found out about it. I wished I could have not known about it for a few more years in
long run don’t think it would matter that much . a lot of diabetics are not diagnosed and aren’t worrying about
their disease. your thought’s.

I don’t want to know about that which is coming down the road in my future if there is nothing that I can do to prevent or delay it.

I do want to know about health conditions which I can take actions on to either delay, treat, minimize or in any other fashion have an ultimate positive impact upon.

5 Likes

nats1, describe ‘worrying about.’ What’s bumming you out? Food? Diet? Taking BGs? Being conscious of the fact that your diabetes exists?

One of the worst situations that I ever encountered was a man with a young son (BG running around 800). He refused get treatment for fear of loosing his CDL. He didn’t think that he would be able to support his son if he got formal diagnosis/treatment.Many people don’t have formal diagnosis of whats ‘wrong’ with them. For them, treatment isn’t a realistic option. To have an illness that is known and for which treatment is possible, is rad.

If I don’t take moderate care of myself, I feel dumpy, so I guess that I have never asked myself that question. Often, I get my numbers tuned and then just coast and don’t worry about it too much. That won’t last more than 3 months because the system drifts and I have to reset everything. I almost always ‘coast’ longer than I should, but I feel like I go long periods without thinking about it that much and not that big of a deal. What, specifically, is bumming you out about the whole deal?

thanks for responding . really all of it is bumming me out. but sorry to hear about that truck driver . bg of 800
is close to a coma . to me the progression part is the worst educator said that no matter what I do it gets worse.
can you lose your CDL with this dx? just think sometimes people are better off not knowing . but was probably
headed for a heart attack the way I was going lost 30# changed diet and started met .but bg still runs about 140
avg. so don’t know who much all that helped. but all part of ageing maybe we are living longer than we should
and body parts just wear out .

While it may be true that your T2D will progress through various phases and treatments, your effort to control high blood sugar can pay big dividends in your life. Hyperglycemia affects every tissue and cell in your body although your genetics may still make you vulnerable to certain secondary complications.

You do have a choice. Accept that you are a victim and suffer through what’s left of your life or fight to maintain reasonable blood glucose levels and increase your odds of avoiding these complications. As you well know, there are no guarantees in life except for death and taxes. For me, I’d rather shift the odds in my favor and if my luck doesn’t hold, at least I will live with the knowledge that I did everything I could to avoid complications.

5 Likes

Postponing or completely avoiding the horrible complications is certainly worth bg tests, portion control, carb counting, and regular exercise. Going blind from retinopathy, amputations of your feet or legs, and/or being on dialysis while you’re waiting for a kidney transplant are horrible things to face. I know 3 diabetics that have all died well before their time. There’s no guarantee for any of us but when I die or have to receive treatment for complications, I know that I did my absolute best for all these years.

2 Likes

You and me, nats1, are running about the same numbers. You feel bad about it, I feel good about it. Thats odd. But, I feel like I could (easily) change it if I wanted to.

I’m running around 140. It’s a stable 140. I feel physically OK, so I’m preferring to ride that train for a while. I guess everythings relative. I’m on insulin, so it would be easy peasy for me to just drop down to 120 or 100 or whatever. (Many times I feel like I cant change something about my system, though. But, my system will change in a couple months, so I just wait it out. Your type 2, so different.)

The truck driver at 800 - he looked me, straight in the eyes, and explained that he felt perfectly fine. Didn’t feel sick. I believe that he was telling me the truth. So, ‘how you feel,’ is just ‘how you feel.’

1 Like

I agree with Terry, but totally disagree with the educator. When I was diagnosed type 1 50+ years ago, it was more hopeless, and a matter of when, not if.

There was no BG testing, pumps, faster insulin, few meds for type 2s. If things had not changed, I would likely be legally blind, kidney problems, or dead by now. With only urine testing in my early years, my BG was likely in 200-400 range most of the time. Sounds like your educator is quoting from the old days.

My mom has type 2 for 30 years, and no serious complications, now in her 80s.
So maybe you need a new educator.
There is always hope and new advances every year.

3 Likes

mohe0001 thanks for responding . wonder how that truck driver is doing in his case I hope he got some
help for his high bs. still I think some people are better off not knowing. you go to the dr. feeling fine and
leave with them telling you have db high bloodpressure trigs and leave angry and depressed . as far as
numbers go just thought that the changes I made would bring them down but didn’t. but am gratefull they
are not in the truck driver range. heard of people with numbers that high that don’t have db but its caused by something else. any way been off work due to rotator cuff surgery long recovery been thinking about db
to much . hope to get back to work in a few weeks. nice dog pic.

Don’t feel bad, nats1. Its my humble opinion that they are being dramatic if they are making you feel bad about 140. That’s silly. If you hadn’t been trying as hard as you have been, maybe it would be 200. Then, they would have something to complain about. The Dr.s/educators opinion/perspective is just their opinion/perspective. They are required to tell you to just keep pushing the numbers down, no matter what they are. You sound like you are doing pretty good, to me.

1 Like

Though the problem, Mohe, is that we don’t know in what blood sugar range the complications start to form, and at what rate? It could be that a tiny increase above normal is already enough to cause major complications, or that they only first begin to appear with massive increases of blood sugar. For example, in my case, I had been tested in the hospital for type 1 diabetes in September and was found not to have it. Then from about October 24 to 28, I had polydipsia and polyuria, and I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes on the afternoon of the 28th. I went to the Joslin Clinic, where one doctor was doing a study of nerve conduction velocities in newly-diagnosed type 1 patients, so I volunteered for it. A number of us were tested and we were all found to have considerable slowing of nerve conduction velocity, which is a sign of diabetic nerve disease. But if only four days of hyperglycemia is enough to produce this complication, perhaps even miniscule amounts of excess blood sugar already cause major damage, meaning that a strict control beyond the reach of any patient is required to prevent complications, unless they have the genetic luck of having inherited protection against them.

1 Like

Whether or not knowing is a good thing probably relates to how you handle adversity. If you tend to throw up your hands in surrender when challenge comes along I would agree it is best not to know, if you consider yourself defeated then there is no sense worrying about what might happen because without mounting a defense a losing outcome is assured.

But if you are like the majority that will accept the challenge then knowledge is your best tool. There’s more to know than the fact that you have D, you need to know that resistance is not futile. Sure diabetes progresses but you can slow the advance. A winning strategy when battling diabetes it to die with it not of it. How well you live along the way depends how well you fight. Fighting back does make a difference, the sooner the fight starts the better.

3 Likes

I understand what you guys are saying and don’t disagree. I would just add that its exhausting to always be told that you are doing ‘not as well as you could be,’ when you are making a concerted effort. How well you fight, sometimes depends on how well you feel about how the fight is going. You want to feel like its worth something. Otherwise, people give up. Maybe these contribute something to the topic…I dunno, I guess its important to be encouraged in a long and nuanced struggle. Video 1

I have a conservative doc that has slowly added the right meds. I walk everyday and accept the diagnosis. I originally went in (being told by Emts) to get the bp checked and things snowballed from there.

It’s preferable to catch diabetes earlier rather than later because the measures needed to get it under control are less drastic the earlier you catch it.

My T2 was caught it rather late in the game due to a “head in the sand” attitude on my part. I have been paying the price every day since. Upon diagnosis I spent 6 days in the hospital. If it hadn’t been caught then, I am certain I would be dead now. This is not hyperbole.

@nats1 be happy you have caught it early, life is way too precious.

2 Likes

I was diagnosed when my vision began deteriorating rapidly. When I got my BG under control again, my vision recovered 100%.

If I have to have a serious chronic health condition, I’d rather have one that I CAN control, rather than one that I can do nothing about. And I want to know about it right away, so I can ACT.

People with diabetes can live as long, and as well, as anybody else—IF they make the choice to do it. The evidence is all around us, every day. I know which side I wanna be on.

2 Likes

David glad your vision recovered.

A lot of those replying are talking of type 2 diabetes, for which something useful can be accomplished with early diagnosis. But with many other conditions, such as type 1 diabetes predicted through antibody tests, ALS, Huntington’s Disease, multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer’s Disease, muscular dystrophy, Parkinson’s Disease, etc., all that an early diagnosis does is to destroy your life with dread sooner than it has to be.

1 Like

As an FYI, Type 1 diabetes is not predicted through antibody testing.

Type 1 diabetes is DIAGNOSED through antibody testing.

Hopefully nobody would be foolish enough to ignore a diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes or to ever listen to such advice as may seem to indicate such an irresponsible course of action.

1 Like

Can’t speak for anyone else, but I am talking about all types of diabetes, because all can be managed successfully. Failing to get Type 1 diabetes properly diagnosed can “destroy your life”, period. Full stop.

1 Like