Not very funny

So I’m at work the other day and a new gal that we call “crazy” and interjects herself into every conversation around her found out I was diabetic. I’m always out there with it- talking about it, discussing, educating, taking shots, etc. It’s a part of me and I have nothing to hide. Anyway - she said “you aren’t going to have one of those Steel Magnolia moments- are you?” WOW. Haven’t heard anything like that in a LOOOONG time but I guess that is all people have to reference some time. Anyway, I tried my best to explain- nope, never had that happen ever… but I have my emergency kit just in case! (smile) And then my favorite is- “Well, I could NEVER take shots!” Uh, yeah you would if it could save your life!! HELLO!!! Anyway, I’m still the proud diabetic. It’s my disease to take control of and lead as normal life as possible - with hard work.

Wow. Amazing comments.

I do love when people proclaim that they could NEVER take shots. I just want to say, “oh really? I take them cause I love it! Something that i always wanted to do…”. I think this is a case where one should NEVER say NEVER.

Hope that you are able to educate this person (some) about diabetes! If you have the energy!

I say have a fake “Steel Magnolia moment” around her and watch her freak out. Okay, maybe not.

I find people like that just want to hear themselves talk anyway, so they don’t really hear much if you try to explain. Save your breath for people you care about. If she keeps blabbing like that, she might not work there much longer anyway!

It is so weird to me too to hear people mention shots and finger sticks as the horrible parts of diabetes. From where I am now, those things are just minor inconveniences compared to overall scope of what diabetes is to me. I must admit, however, that the fear of shots was the most difficult part about diabetes when I was new to it.

from Wikipedia:
“As noted in the Special Features on the Steel Magnolias DVD, the story of Steel Magnolias is based on the tragic death of Robert Harling’s elder diabetic sister. As his best friend and closest sibling, Robert found it incredibly difficult to cope with his loss. He was advised by many of his friends to write about his feelings as a coping method. It began as a short story and evolved into a full length play due to the complexity of the relationships and emotions that existed within the characters. Harling felt it important to include the way the characters utilized humor and light hearted conversations to assist them in coping with the seriousness of the underlying situations. Harling wanted the moviegoers to have a true experience of what his family endured during his sister’s hospitalization. One of the ways he did this was by employing the nurses, doctors, and other hospital staff that worked with his sister as characters in the movie portraying their real life roles. Because of the true to life situation, this movie is consumed by people in many different ways.”

2005 Broadway production

wow, that is a cringe worthy comment…

steve, thanks for the information about Steel Magnolias