Oh no.... No more popcorn!

A favorite occasional treat: a single serving bag of Terra Chips. Very tasty, made from a range of root vegetables, more fiber than potato chips.

I've been type 2 for eleven years. For ten of those years I avoided it. I found out a small portion (up to 2 cups)even with butter will not spike me. Even checking after 4 hours or more (due to the delay cuz of fat)it seemed to be ok. It isn't something I would do daily, but it is nice to know that once in a while is ok. It isn't on Dr. Bernsteins list.....that is for sure, which is why I avoided it for so long.

Of course, your mileage may vary as with all things.

Pork rinds and nuts. Popcorn is also bad for me; I splurge at the movies but get a small portion.

Popcorn is fine, since you end up consuming the same number of carbs or less as with potato chips but with 3x the volume, and home-popped corn that you season yourself isn't all that bad for you. Not everything in life is going to be low-GI. When I want something salty, I usually reach for pretzels and peanut butter.

GailD,
a CDE who was also diabetic told me, "There's NOTHING you can't eat...it's all about PORTIONS." A handfull or two of popcorn won't hurt anyone-diabetic or not. Neither will ONE BITE of a cookie or pie or cake. That's the catch - one handful (not a bag) or one bite, not a whole portion. I even put 1/4 tbsp of sugar in my coffee. Even a whole tsp. of sugar has only 4 gms. carbs. It probably takes 4 carbs to lift the cup several times, teehee.

There is no such thing as a free carb, I'm afraid. Portion size is important, but we all react differently to various carbs......

I agree, Judith, the "you can eat whatever you want" is the popular mantra of the white coats along with "eat more carbs!". To me it's catering to our "I want it all and I want it now!" culture. Then they wonder why people are struggling with roller coaster blood sugars and as young diabetics age they gain weight and develop insulin resistance. There are people on here that handle substantial amounts of carbs but many of them are very young, many of them are very very active and most of us find we have to limit to some extent for better more stable results.

I occasionally have popcorn, but not much of it. We don't have any other type of snack food in the house. I find it hard to stick to a small bowl of popcorn, but I manage to do it. I eat it slowly! Yeah it's a tough one!

Agree 100000% :D

I love popcorn and movies are just not the same without some. Has anyone used the D-card to bring in the lower carb Skinny popcorn into the theatre?

1 Like

Portions are one thing...but we're talking popcorn!!! I start off eating 1 and 2 kernels but before you know it I got a handful. It's like a drug! Cant' get enough. This Diabetes thing sucks!!! I quit! Lol!

Lol. Now I want popcorn

I enjoy the single serving bag of LesserEvil Popcorn: 15g carbs, 5g fat, 100 calories.

1 Like

Hi Deborah,

I have a strong addiction to popcorn. I show no restraint in limiting myself once it’s in front of me.

Where can one boy this Lesser Evil popcorn?
:yum::popcorn:

1 Like

I mean buy buy buy! Lol

You can check the Lesser Evil website store locator. Also available on amazon.com

In addition to all the excellent suggestions others have provided regarding an alternative to popcorn, there is the 80 percent rule. It has worked well for me in the 18 years since I was diagnosed with type 2. Basically if you are doing the right thing 80 percent of the time, you can let your guard down in the other 20 percent without major damage. I.e. low carb most of the week and a bowl of popcorn with my Saturday night home movie, walk three times a day Sunday to Saturday except Tuesday when I take a break from walking. Avoid pasta most of the time but enjoy an occassional shared dinner at an Italian restaurant when friends invite us out.