Oh no.... No more popcorn!

I absolutely love popcorn and mistakenly thought since it is a high fiber snack, it would be much better than the potato chips I really want to eat. But no, I just figured out that it's a high glycemic index food. What do you eat when you want something crunchy and salty?

Additional Resources Added by the TuDiabetes Administration

Top 23 Low Carb Snacks

Low Carb Recipe Swap

Dr Bernstein Diabetes Solution

Nuts, all kinds. I love pistachios, almonds, macadamia nuts, cashews, Brazil nuts, hazelnuts, and walnuts. You just have to be careful not to overdo it. They are calorie dense but nutritious. I try to measure out one or two ounces and stop at that. They are low on carbs and hit the blood glucose slowly.

I agree nuts are the way to go. I don’t have much trouble with a little popcorn either really

Nuts, indeed! But I have found a way to enjoy buttery popcorn every once in awhile. I eat very low carb, but after everytime I have my A1c done, no matter the result, I have a big bowl of buttery popcorn and call it lunch. Then I take a long walk, or do an extended session in my garden! So it's on my "occasional treat list"......

1 Like

Nuts, yes! Shell pistachios are good because shelling them slows your nibbling down. I too find that a walk, some gardening and lots of water to drink are the way to go when I have indulged in something that I should not have eaten.

For those following a LCHF diet, pork rinds have 0 carbs. Also, I sometimes crush them and use them as croutons in my salad.

Pickles! I'm a big fan of the "deli style" pickles in the refrigerated section of the grocery store.

1 Like

Kale chips, cheese, & yes, nuts.
Some times when I'm going to the movies, I eat a big salad for dinner--allowing me some carbs for theater popcorn.

I don't know what the GI is but I have found a low carb and healthy popcorn at Sam's called Skinny Popcorn...4 cups at 15 carbs and tastes like movie house popcorn.

1 Like

Most of the time popcorn has not been a problem for me, it's low carb. Other good crunchy snacks are kale chips- you can make them yourself with various flavors or buy them- Alive and Radiant is a good brand.

I will have to have my DIL look for that Skinny Popcorn for me the next time she goes to Sam's. Or I will have to look for it somewhere else, as I am not a Sams Member. I love popcorn. I quit eating it because of the carbs, but if I can find a low carb version I will try it. Hopefully, it isn't a huge portion. I can get carried away. LOL

I don't have a problem with popcorn. I suggest that you try making some at home and not putting any toppings on and seeing what your meter does.

Kale chips sound good. I have some kale in my fridge right now that is about to go bad.

I made kale chips once but didn't like them. I never tried them commercially made.

Ok,once in a while small bag of chips, nuts, But I love celery cut in bite size pieces with salt. That is my to go to. Nancy

I found at a popcorn that is low in carbs called Skinny Popcorn. You can eat almost 4 cups for 15 carbs and it taste like the popcorn you get at the movies. I found it at Sam's but my husband said you can get it at Walmart.

Popcorn is not that bad, anything in moderation. Nuts tend to have the cals and sodium, which for me are a pain. Popcorn with light salt, not a huge bowl..just enjoy it.

1 Like

I didn't like mine as much as the commercially made ones(wholefoods & wild by nature etc.) but I may try again at some point.. you have to use an anti-dessicent I think to keep them crispy if you don't eat them right away. I baked mine, but I think you can dehydrate them also. So I would only make small batches if home made.

That's a bummer! If I had a choice between popcorn and candy, popcorn would win every time. I love me some popcorn. I try to have it on nights when I have a low carb dinner.