Oh no! really?

OH NO!!! REALLY?

Well, well, what a discovery I made. For the last 50 years I have stored my insulins in the door of our fridge.
It is compartementalized, 18 letters is that the proper word? Did you know that in Italian it would be 28 letters? Seems too long for my liking. But you get the idea, right? Now what? Do I have to do it all over again? LOL. Never had any trouble with the insulin I keep in the fridge summer and winter, the spares and the ones in use. Warm it up a bit with my hollow hand but not to much. It will lose it’s potency I heard. No-one really knows like the fridge door but it sounds interesting to make these statements. Not saying they are wrong but in practice I never had any trouble with the door! Of course we have a very good door, sure did cost a lot O’money. If it would be possible to take a seat in there you would be turned into a popsicle in no time.

We may have found the mistake we made causing my temporary mental absence from this world.
You see, well not see but read right, that Jo my wonderful partner in life and I always take my insulin together.
Why? You may ask, well I once mixed up Lantus and Humelog and took 14 Lantus plus 14 Humalogs all together now! It should be 2 Humalogs and 14 Lantusses in the Am. This same mistake I may have made this time because Jo had to move to the stove because the porridge was boiling over and she didn’t see me taking insulin like she always does to make sure I don’t mix things up! So I made use of the opportinity to screw up. Must have been that way to cause THAT much trouble. Can’t think of anything else! You think I’m losing my marbles because I be 80 on Feb 27? From now on the porridge can boil over whenever it is in the mood! LOL.

On the lighter side.
A Senator’s aid called to inquire about a trip package to Hawaii, After going over all the cost info, she asked, “Would it be cheaper to fly to California and take the train to HAWAII?” She is a part-time teacher of diabetes for newbies!

Greeting from JB or JOHNBEN who is back to normal control of my sugars and are in a excellent mood.

Hi Johnben…are you referring to your LOW incident of last week and you could not figure out , what/why ??.Glad to read , you are in an excellent mood …gosh your English ( second language ) is soooo good !! Hi to Lady JO from Nel ( originally from
HAARLEM :wink: )

I referred to the two postings regarding NOT keeping the insulin in the fridge door. I always have for 50 years.
Doing it all over is just some fun asking if I have to go back 50 years to do it all over by not putting my insulin in the door of the fridge… If only I could go back 50 years. I would do so many things in a different way, wouldn’t you?

JB.

The train chief would always call, Den Haag, Leiden, Haarlem, Amsterdam on het perron… old memories. This is 55 years ago.

JB.

There you go! Another happy costumer!

JB.

Funny because I heard this recently also. Too much shaking up in the door.

And I heard that the temperature wasn’t as constant. Whoopie Do!

Hi Johnben! Oops, so I shouldn’t be keeping my insulin in the fridge door to to shake/rattle/roll? I know a few times, when I’d opened up the door to fast, the insulin took a tumble. Lately, I’ve only been keeping the insulin I need, in my bedside table drawer (I refill my insulin pump cartridge every 3 days). When I was MDI (multiple doseage injecting) did the same thing, kept the insulin at room temperature. My pharmacy is down the street (I walk to it), I basically use them as my “fridge” for insulin storage, and when I run low, I go and get another bottle of insulin to keep me alive and kicking :smiley: Glad to read your BG’s are back to normal!

Dave, tell me, are you David the owner of this group?

JB.

Or am I mixed up with daibetes-daily?

JB.

Compartmentalized!!! Seventeen letters!! (Don’t you just hate those old professional administrative assistants who proofread everyone’s work and then make corrections??)

I never heard anything negative about keeping insulin on the refrigerator door. Although I did hear lots of negative things about not refrigerating it for too long. In fact, just last week I told my Nurse Practitioner that I left out my insulin for 6 days and she advised me to toss it out because the U500 would be proportionately weakened (as opposed to regular insulin). I had about a third of the vial left. (U500 is 5’xs as strong as other insulins.

By the way, JB, did I misunderstand you? Did you actually mix Lantus and another insulin together? Of did you take them in separate syringes. Because, as I am sure you would probably know, actually mixing them in the same syringe could cause a very bad reaction.

Lois

“So I made use of the opportinity to screw up.” LOL JB! I like the way you put things. :smiley:

My Insulin had been kept in the fridge in an enamal container when I was a Kid and on my fridge door since I left home. I’ve had a few vials through the years that were not very potent but I think that had to do with the particular Pharmacy back then. All the rest of the Insulin worked Fine and it works longer than the 28 days recommended.

For heavens sakes…you’re going to be 80 years old. No one’s brain works as well at 80 or even 65, as it did at age 28. And that includes non-Diabetics. Most People over 40 notice changes in their memory. Even one of my Drs. mentioned that his memory isn’t as Good as it used to be. And he is only 58.

A Huge Congrats on making it to your 80th Birthday soon. You Rock! :slight_smile:

…lovely , that I got to read a few Dutch words here .Wel te rusten JB .

Glad that you were able to figure out the reason for the low. Even though it’s scary, sometimes it’s better to know why it happened.

The door is indeed not the coldest place in the fridge, but insulin does not need to be stored at very cold temperature (i.e. the fridge is even colder than it needs to be). So I don’t think that it is a problem to keep your insulin in the door. I do too and I have never had any problems.

Is shaking insulin bad for it? I can’t imagine why it would be.