Oh, the Lows of Diabetes

Last night I had one of those terrible lows… woke up and was in the 40s… sweating and needing to get to some juice ASAP. This doesn’t happen often but it does happen. I’m also dieting so I wasn’t happy about “breaking the diet” and having juice and some toast with PB on it. Of course, I wanted to eat up the entire fridge because I was out of sorts. I will wake up my husband and tell him to come looking for me if I disappear for a while. I always feel just worn out and like I have a hangover the next morning too. It’s just so interesting how things can be going smoothly, the blood sugars have been ticking along just fine and then BAM… here’s a reminder of the highs and lows that this disease reminds you that it’s still there! I was reading that lack of sleep and stress can add to your numbers… well, hello! Thats life right now. What a vicious cycle! :slight_smile: (Speaking of… I’m going to test my BS right now to stay on track).

I know what you mean, I woke up with a low of 48 in the middle of the night last night. I keep juice by my bed as well as glucagon kit. I know if my sugar goes much below 60 if I don’t use the glucagon it is almost impossible to get back up and stay up. The dang shakes and sweats are bad enough without feeling the need to eat everything in site.

oof, Dana, sorry. nothing worse than the overnight lows. ever try just the glucose tabs? once I figured out how high a tab will boost my bs, I find I don’t overtreat. btw one tab = 20 points for me. too bad they are awful - but they can be exact =)

Sorry to hear you have the nighttime lows, my daughter also gets them, usually from 11:30 to 1:00am. Sometimes in the 40’s. or 50s. We wait up with her until her numbers are higher, we keep lots of orange juice in the house!! She also feels yucky in the morning, but I don’t realy know what to do to make her feel better, we just take the mornings real slow, the lack of sleep also makes her irritable. :frowning: so her favorite breakfast and a hug and kiss is about all i can offer to her. Is there anything that makes you feel better in the am after a night time low??