Old Lady Sad

Scanning down the forum topics, there wasn’t a single one that meant a thing to Old-timer me. I do try. Every single day, I try,. Because this is my home that I love…I don’t really understand what has happened…But blessings to all–That I truly mean…

4 Likes

that happens sometimes, nothing catches my eye! i leave it for a couple of days, come back, see if there is anything interesting.
:wink:

1 Like

Happens to me too. You can always go post something on @David_dns’s Tell Something Weird About Yourself thread and wake that one up again!

3 Likes

I’d like to see some new recipes

Always looking for new and interesting dishes.

1 Like

When there is nothing of interest you could join in the Word Association Game.

2 Likes

Good morning, Judith! Your post caught my eye and I wasn’t sure what to expect. I’m glad you shared your feelings with us and am wondering what kinds of topics you miss.

1 Like

I think that happens to all of us. Certainly does to me. Hugs.

1 Like

So, do you like how “Grimm” or “Portlandia” portray Portland better?

The one thing about “Grimm” that always makes me laugh is that they use the front of the Multnomah County Library downtown for the front of the police station.

1 Like

Happens to me as well. It also seems that sometimes large numbers of posts (including resurrected old posts) on the same topic pop up, maybe because someone searches the forum for those topics and replies to a bunch. Like others said, I leave for a few hours or a day and come back to see if it’s changed.

1 Like

I’ve never seen Grimm and one episode of Portlandia was enough for me…I liked it when Leverage and now The Librarians were/are filmed here…

I understand. For some reason, the site doesn’t resonate with me as often since the platform change. But I still respect everyone here and their opinions. So I keep checking in. Something to read will come up eventually.

Thanks for being honest with your feelings and adding to the discussion rather than letting it go unsaid.

3 Likes

I know what you mean Judith. I do like most of the others here. I check in pretty much every day to see what people are talking about. I usually do not post unless I think I have something meaningful to contribute. But I do like to read what people are concerned about regardless.

I usually find something of interest in the forums. I also go over to the blogs and check them out. You might try that if you haven’t already. There is almost always something new there and there are some very interesting and talented bloggers worth reading. Many times you can join the conversation there as well.

1 Like

@Judith_in_Portland
This has not been an easy year for you. and others of us as well. But we are still together.

I hope you know how many of us are with you in spirit --even if it seems there isn’t a visible camaraderie on the topics listed, there is always a thread running invisibly.

Have faith in that invisible thread. It is still there, linking us all, and it will present itself again shortly so you will see it.

4 Likes

Hey Jude!!

Lol.

I am 61.5. I have an Omnipod insulin Pump and a DEXCOM CGM. Both for five years. What old timer stuff you wanna talk about? DX since 1992…

1 Like

Judith I beleive during the change over you asked what happened to our comfortable corners to chat in. (or at least something like that ) currently it seems that most of the post are about insulin, pumps, monitors and the such.
Which are important, but what I see on other sites, is that the vast majority of all diabetics are not insulin dependent ( add the type 1 to the type two on insulin)
This site might have lost it relevancy to the majority of people with diabetes?

1 Like

Thank you very much for engaging, @Ellie3…I am T2 controlling with diet and exercise only for a decade…But TuD was my very first online home and taught me enough that I can do this…So, because I know that this scourge is progressive, I do follow tech developments…They just aren’t relevant to me right now…Blessings, Dearheart…

2 Likes

Judith, I don’t find much that is relevant to me on the forum lately either. But I like to keep in touch with everyone, and who knows, you and I might end up using insulin and considering a pump and cgm! Mind you, I devoutly hope my disease does not progress that far.

1 Like

Re too many T1-oriented topics: the old site, seems to me, enforced a much greater degree of separation between participants by type because of the way it was organized. The Forums arrival page listed out the topic areas first with the first couple of most-recent post headings below each, if memory serves. Being a T1 I mostly ignored anything to do with T2, and on many occasions I’d arrive to find nothing of interest in T1 land and would surf away elsewhere. I checked in a lot less frequently because of this sequestering effect.

Now, I confess to a tendency toward being a “T1 snob,” for want of a better term. For me it was ingrained very early on because information about my challenges was so thin on the ground. So very much of the information available in those pre-Internet days was geared toward T2 (the term “diabetes” was, and still is, to too large an extent, synonymous with T2 in the popular media), and as for information geared toward adults with T1 (either dx’d as adults or having grown to adulthood with it), for the first couple of decades that was an absolute wasteland. Nihil, nada, nothing. So left to my own impulses, I have a strong filter set up for T1 relevance and totally ignore anything else.

But thanks to the way the site is organized now I’m a lot more involved in discussions that don’t exactly match up to my filters–not just T2 stuff, but a lot of the parents-of-kids things, stuff I used to totally ignore. As a result I’m much more aware of the commonalities between us, whatever our diagnosis, and that has considerably broken down my “T1 snob” tendencies.

There are a lot of complaints about the new design vs the old “friendlier” one, but I have to say it has one huge advantage, which is that there is a LOT more intermingling of participants across topic areas. There are a significant number of people with T2 with whom I never interacted before the new design, never got to know, but whose posts and comments I now regularly read and look forward to, not just because of the valuable knowledge and insights they share but also because of the spirit they project. @Judith_in_Portland decidedly one of them, but many others too–I can’t even risk naming them because I’m so much less certain who is self-identified as having which type.

And that is certainly a good thing.

Just my $0.02

5 Likes

Just to make clear I did not intend my post to infer that there are too many type one post, but I did intend to speak to the vast majority of posts that are about insulin dependent members, either type 1 or type 2.
A large portion of T2,/ prediabetics do not use insulin to control thier condition.
Actually many use little or no medication. These posts are lacking

As one who uses diet and exercise only to control my T2. I also find few post that are of interest to me.

2 Likes

@Judith_in_Portland thank you so much for starting this thread. It is such a meaningful, touching and thought provoking post. This is your community, your safe space, your family and friends…
One thing I hope you can hold close is the fact that this community NEEDS you. Just like you once came here when you needed help navigating diagnosis, you are now an invaluable resource to others who are in need of the same. You understand the shock, pain, grief, trials and finally a sense of normalcy (well kind of! lol!) that we can get back to in our lives after diagnosis.

While we all still need support be it day 1 or year 60 of diabetes, at a certain point when we have lived through much with the disease, we in a sense carry the extra burden of “mentor”. In the same way we all found our diabetes connect here, were able to grieve and learn, and then fly, we need to be here. Even if not a meaningful post pops up that week, there are community members here, brand new and terrified. Those of you who have been here, you are the most valuable resource this community has. You are the leaders, the mentors, the ones who “know” diabetes. You are the ones who can guide, support, offer an ear and a low carb recipe! You have tried so many management protocols, tools, tips and tricks, navigated insurance and dealt with health care providers for better or worse. All of you are the only way that those who come here with busted pancreases and broken hearts are going to survive this disease.

Thank you for this meaningful topic. There may or may not be tears falling from this once lost, pancreas impaired lady’s eyes… hugs.

5 Likes