Old Lady Sad

Aw, Judith_in_Portland, if you are an Old Lady, I’m an Ancient One! I don’t find as many discussions of interest anymore, either, but I think it’s just because my Type 1 is virtually unchanging, therefore boring. I can’t have a pump or CGM because I no longer have the real estate for infusions. Just plain old MDI and eating moderately low-carb. Some of our discussions here are fun; which I enjoy. I do wish people would write more blogs. Well, pet a kitty for me… Trudy, the Ancient One

4 Likes

“Competitive misery”. What a perfect capsule description. Says it all in a nutshell. :thumbsup:

4 Likes

I agree with Thas, those who are on insulin (what ever type) feel more comfortable with this site. Which by itself is valuable assets to those on insulin.
unfotunatly those who can have or choose other options do not feel as welcome here.
Cynthia, I beleive the real question is how does this site attract more diabetics that are not insulin dependent. Which is a significant number of diabetics.

5 years ago I was invited to a TuDiabetes workshop in Berkely. Out of about 7 attending I was the only one not on insulin.
I remarked to Emily I felt that TuDiabetes might be best as a site for insulin users.
I don’t really see much has changed.

Personally I have dropped using T1 and t2 (when I can) I prefer those who use insulin and those who don’t.

2 Likes

The whole divergence of interests between insulin and non-insulin users makes sense to me. That doesn’t mean that we don’t have crucial interests that unite us.

Insulin is tricky to use safely and well. Unfortunately, many of our doctors are not capable to help us with customized insulin instructions. While we peers are not doctors, we have a rich and deep experience dealing with insulin. For people that must live with insulin, I can’t think of a better community in which to participate.

People with diabetes that do not use insulin do have much more in common with other communities. I see nothing wrong or threatening with that reality. There is no wrong or right to dispute. I think the problem arises when some non-insulin users should really be using insulin. I think there’s an argument to be made that many T2D’s delay in starting insulin leads to secondary complications. We are all individuals and I recognize that some non-insulin members of this community do quite well without it. This is not a one-size-fits-all disease.

We’ve all experienced social situations where the “glue” that binds the community is not shared by us. It could be a couch potato at an outdoor sports enthusiast party. Or a lover of classical music at a group that listens to nothing but rock and roll. None of these settings means that the majority or minority is right. We are social animals and need to find common interests to enjoy making connections. Good conversationalists can almost always find common ground.

Participating in a diabetes group that does not use insulin is not something I would choose to do long-term. There are still areas of overlap, however, like carb limits when eating that provide common interest. I don’t think there’s much we can do about the insulin/non-insulin divide. It’s simply a reality. We do need to show respect to all visitors here. None of us should exclude, make fun of, or be snobbish toward others.

5 Likes

Possibly not. But as you quite rightly point out (and as others have done), we can do something about the way we talk to each other, and about each other. That in fact is one of the core values of this community. It was articulated by Manny a long time ago and hasn’t changed.

4 Likes

A very good book for the newly diagnosed. What went wrong, it’s not your fault, diet and treatment options etc. Although Gretchen herself is a low carber her discussion about diet is very even handed.

1 Like

Speaking of our core values, we actually have them written down here
https://forum.tudiabetes.org/t/the-values-of-tudiabetes/34720

(this post can be found at the very bottom of the home page in the blue footer)

You’ll see it specifically addresses the T1/T2 issues. That we don’t get into what @Judith_in_Portland so poetically calls “competitive misery” and also that we don’t allow comments that blame anyone for causing their diabetes. I love this community because I enjoy the diversity of our members. I’m glad if you’re a T2D who’s been able to hold your numbers down with just diet and exercise. But I don’t want another person to get the idea that just because they can’t manage to stay on a low carb diet, or maybe the Metformin isn’t quite holding things down any more that they should be made to feel they have failed. This is such a common occurrence here, I swear it might be useful to have a file of canned messages to copy and paste as a convenience.

I’m a long time T1D. Next week will be my 49th anniversary. I came here in a total panic about my diabetes. I found lots of help with what I actually needed to focus on, but I was still scared and lacked confidence. Then I met @Judith_in_Portland and @saundra_barragan and their gentle and complete support and love gave me the courage to make changes and try new things to improve my diabetes. I saw a community I very much wanted to be a part of, unlike anything I’d ever experienced before.

When Sandy died, I must say, I didn’t even know what type of diabetes she had. I assumed she was a T2D on insulin. I saw her every day, helping all who came here, especially those desperate for help and answers. Her last day on earth, she spent time here helping a D-mom with a child with T1 and other difficult conditions - it was such a sad story about the child, I’m sure others (like me) just had to look away. I knew right then I was being called to continue her work.

I’ve also learned so much about T2. like a LOT. I think we have some very bright people here who know a lot about all types of diabetes. I’m very proud to be a part of the admin team with some of them. I believe we do a pretty good job of moderating discussions for respectful interactions, and please, if you see a post you don’t think IS respectful, we want you to flag it. We don’t want anyone with any connection to diabetes to feel not welcome here, that’s akin to violating our prime directive!

Please read the “Our Values” post, even if you’ve read it before. We’re not perfect, but I think we have a lot to be proud of, as members of the TuDiabetes community.

9 Likes

If I knew how to quote I would do so, but I don’t
So I will comment
I don’t understand why anyone assumes that because I am fortunate to control my condition with diet and Exercise
I am out to make others feel less good about themselves.
I am only dealing the best I can with my condition.

Marie this is not directed to you alone, I receive comments like yours often, from all directions.

1 Like

I don’t draw this assumption about your words. I don’t think many here do. In fact, I admire the discipline you’re able to exert to control blood glucose with fewer viable tools. If you’re happy with the results, and I understand you have great control, then your regimen is appropriate and serves you well.

To quote text in a previous comment or post, simply mark the text with your pointer and a little box with “Quote reply” will pop up. When you click on that box a new text entry box will open up with the quoted text embedded and waiting for you to add your comments.

1 Like

Some how when some one post that they achieved an A1c under 6,0 using insulin it is not identified as making others feel bad because they don’t achieve that goal, doing well on diet and exercise only some how is suppose to make others feel bad or to stop taking their medicine.
That is a quote from a former administration member oth this site.

I am very proud of the hard work it has taken me to lower my A1c from 12.0 to 5.6. And feel fortunate to be off meds.

Peoples feelings about that are their issue not mine.
End of rant.

1 Like

You should feel proud and fortunate. We interact with each other, whether in the real or virtual world, as human beings, complete with all our shortcomings.

I work hard and take pride in my diabetes regimen and successes. But I’ve felt queasy at times when I want to celebrate and post some impressive data and graphs. I start to think about people in the community who work just as hard but don’t experience a fraction of the success that I sometimes enjoy. They have other physical challenges that I don’t face and it complicates their efforts.

We humans love to compare ourselves with others. It’s our nature. The better side of this is that others success can inspire us to reach for better outcomes. But it also can demoralize others who may feel like giving up.

I think we must be balanced and grown-up about this. We need to see success, even if it’s not ours. We also need to witness struggle so that we can empathize with others and maybe lighten their burden a bit. It’s what a caring community is all about.

Social interaction is complicated, even moreso in this two-dimensional virtual world. Even in the best social environments we need to compliment each other, offer encouragement and support. This is what I call the “social grease” that makes long-term successful interaction possible. Tolerance is another social lubricant.

I appreciate your participation here, @Fraser70. I’m sure your testimony has helped many others that you’ll never know. I know that this site is frequented by many lurkers since I was once one of them.

5 Likes

By the way Judith a great thread!

1 Like

[quote=“cynthia_rogers, post:21, topic:56056, full:true”]
My mother in law was just diagnosed with T2 and I want to send her here for valuable, meaningful T2 content and resources.
What is the solution? How do we generate more T2 content and topics? Who can start the T2 conversations?[/quote]Well, I’m back after a hiatus, and have a big mouth, so that should get things humming :grin:

@Judith_in_Portland, so glad to see you posting here, Old Lady :kissing_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Back atcha, @Dave26

Why was this topic closed?

This topic suddenly veered off into a flame war. Its hard to follow because the worst of the flame war has been deleted and the instigator has been suspended. IMHO the administration handled it appropriately and I am happy that the topic has been opened back up. Great discussion, hope there’s more to come. Thanks @Judith_in_Portland for starting the discussion.

1 Like

Had no idea things were getting tense…

Things blew up pretty quickly! Thankfully it was dealt with quickly, too.