Omnipod Classic Wont Boot, Any Options?

Hello,

I went to bolus this morning and my Omnipod classic sent up an error message, I changed the batteries out and now it will flash white and wont load past the Omnipod screen. Omnipod wont be able to send me one until Tuesday due to the weekend, endo is closed and I dont use any long acting.

Anyone have any success in trying to reset it? Can I try anything else? Otherwise this is gonna be a long weekend, lol.

1 Like

Wow, so very sorry it will take that long to get a replacement!
I don’t use Omnipod so I have no suggestions there. But I am surprised that your endo office doesn’t have someone on call who can help. Pump failure happens once to me and I was out of state. But I called my endo and the on call doctor walked me through using regular injections throughout the day until I got home the next day with the pump waiting for me. Some people always have a long acting insulin as a backup. Something to think about moving forward. I have never had long acting as a backup and have only had a failure once in the over 30+ years pumping.
So I would try the doctors office and see if someone can help with either a prescription for long acting or my trick using regular throughput the day.
Good luck!

I know this is not a great option, but if you don’t have any other way of doing this, you need to inject every once-in-a-while to match your basal rate.

But…you can get the old-school NPH from Walmart without a prescription. It’s only about $25. This can help you get through the weekend.

I get lantus that sits in my fridge just for pump emergencies and mostly it just sits there until expired, but I started to take a tiny 10 unit injection per day because it helps with when I switch my sites out and I get a spike. It’s also protection against DKA. It’s such a small dose it hardly affects my insulin dosing. Some people are horrified that I inject while using a pump. I don’t know but it can be a hot button topic.

Main point being is we need to have a backup for when pumps fail

1 Like

OK the flashing I believe, means the internal battery is dead or dying. Did they try to help reset it? They tried when it happened to me, but it wouldn’t come back. I was spoiled as a rep gave me spare PDMs. If you can access an on-call person maybe ask them what to do. You can probably Google it too. I thought using your basal plus maybe some Regular insulin. It’s fairly cheap and the pharmacist can probably give you a n indication of the time it lasts for and when it starts to work. Again, I just bet you can find info from a diabetes site, maybe like Integrated Diabetes (Gary Scheiner is author of Think Like a Pancreas, and he’s got articles on that site.)I don’t enjoy it when these things happen on the weekend… grrr.