Omnipod vs minimed's new combination pump/continuous BG tester

I’m a type 1 diabetic of 40 years who’s never used a pump but is considering one. Because I’m in good control, my principal interest is in the continuous BG testing function [Dexcom has a 7-day one], and if that functionality were fully operational [not seen as just adjunctive to a regular BG tester] I’d probably just get that.

But I understand Minimed now has a combination device that does both functions.
Any pumpers out there that are using that? What’s your experience?

Coversely, are Omnipod users doing anything with the Dexcom continuos BG monitor, and if so how well does it complement the Omnipod?

You should look in the “Continuous Glucose Monitor Users” group here at tudiabetes. I’ve been using the Medtronic 522 pump and CGMS for 1.5 years now. I did not want a pump until it had “built in” glucose testing. Close enough for me now. I’m doing much better both in control and avoiding lows and highs I didn’t even know I was having other than with high A1C results.

I didn’t realize that medtronic’s combination pump/CGMS has been out for so long.
I test probably 15 times a day, and show very good a1c [6.2], but lows can come on SO fast. And I’m at risk while asleep.
The CGMS is what I care about more than a pump, though I’m not opposed to a pump if it’s integrated.
Design-wise I like the Omnipod better than the MiniMed, but Omnipod has no CGMS [and won’t for a year or more].
What’s your experience with the tubing of the infusion set? As a very active person, I’m concerned about it getting yanked off, or kinked up.

I have been using CGM from minimed for about 6 months. Absolutely amazing. It has great customizable features and I love it to death. I know that one of the determining factors for me was the marriage of the monitor to a pump and right now Minimed is the only one on the market. Plus the start up time is only 2 hours, where dexcoms is much, much longer.

I use my sensor six days at a time with no problems, so the time frame is only suggestive.

The tubing has never been a problem for me with my activities and it is surprisingly super-adhesive. Omnipods are large and clunky, and they have tended to fall off with sweat and activity. Medtronic is truly a better product, and I have been told that a new tubless pump is on the way!

Hope that helps!

Hi Dan,
We’re almost neighbors, I live in Northborough, MA. I’ve been a practicing T1 since 1967 so I just celebrated 40 years of living with Type 1 diabetes. I started using an Animas 2020 pump last June and before that I was on MDI for more than 20 years. I changed to pump therapy because of hypoglycemia unawareness with dangerous lows in the 20 to 40 range. I still have lows using the pump but they are in the 50 to 60 range and I am starting to feel the lows when I am in the 50 to 60 range.
When I was doing the research on pumps trying to decide which one to use I found that they all did the same thing…deliver basal and bolus insulin. What sold me on the Animas pump was the large screen with high contrast colored text which is easy to see and read. It also has the ability to deliver insulin in 0.05 U increments. I think its a great little medical device and the home office and field technical support has been excellent.

I go to two pump support groups that meet once a month. Both are excellent with members who’ve had diabetes for a long time and are very knowledgable. One is at the U Mass Med School and the other is a group who meet in Woburn,MA This is an important part of learning how to use the pump and getting the most benefit from it.

I am waiting for improvements on the CGMS systems before trying it. I would like to see smaller sensors with a longer use time. The pump itself is a LOT of work. and I test 10 times a day which is enough to see patterns and trends to make changes and adjustments in pump settings. I think there will be some dramatic improvements in current CGMS devices that will really make a difference in how we control blood sugar. My first A1C after 4 months on the pump was 5.4% Good luck with making your decision and keep us posted.

Florian

Hi Florian,

Your expereince and perspectiver on pump therapy is very helpful.

We have a number of things in common, including the fact we both became type 1s in '67, and that due to hypoglycemia unawareness we are at significant risk of extreme lows.

But for that, I feel very conifdent in my ability to manage my diabetes, without feeling it is a LOT of work. testing as ido 15 times aday [without a pump] can be tedious but I’m used to it. And I’ve resisted pump therapy exactly because it sounds like a lot more work than what i already have.

My leaning, therefore, is to the CGM, but I have to feel it’s results are good enough to represent an improvement over my current regimen. I keep hearing floks mentioning a “break-in” period with each new sensor, estimated as long as 15 hours or more with the Dexcom, which isn’t very encouraging. So it’s possible i’ll just proceeed as at cxurrent until the technology makes a next step forward.

Thanks for your input.