OneTouch Ultra test strips

So I refilled my prescription for OneTouch Ultra test strips this week and to my surprise they looked quite different than the ones I had been getting. First of all, the new ones were light blue and my old ones were black. Second, and most importantly, the strip that absorbs the blood was shorter! They seem to require less blood than before. Does anyone know anything about this? If this is their new design I’m glad because I saw that stupid Error 5 saying my sample was too small wayyy too many times :slight_smile:

Update: (I added this as a comment but just to be sure everyone sees it)
I’m actually not sure if the price dropped because I tend to close my eyes when the price comes up :wink: They did tell me that they used an “evoucher” for $25 off? Anyone ever seen that? The woman who actually rung me out didn’t know what it was but there was a note on the bag that it was used when they packaged it. I don’t think it really affected what I actually paid because I’m sure it went towards the overall cost before my copay was calculated. Anyway, so far so good guys! I put a blood sample on one yesterday and realized it was too small and started to pull the strip out so as to avoid seeing the dreaded error 5 (somehow it makes me less angry if I realize it myself before the meter does!) and to my surprise it actually got a reading before I could get it out! Woohoo! Less blood required as far as I can tell. Happy testing everyone

I, too, was happy to see these strips when I renewed about a month ago!

Oh cool I can’t wait to get the new ones; I’m up for a renewal in a few weeks…The price didn’t drop too did it?? Yeah I know…wishful thinking! I’m surprised they didn’t pay a few hundred million to advertise “New & Improved” .

hey guys i use onetouch ultra also, my insurance i get 300 for 12.00 dollars love that price

I had the same experience when I opened the last bottle.

I’m actually not sure if the price dropped because I tend to close my eyes when the price comes up :wink: They did tell me that they used an “evoucher” for $25 off? Anyone ever seen that? The woman who actually rung me out didn’t know what it was but there was a note on the bag that it was used when they packaged it. I don’t think it really affected what I actually paid because I’m sure it went towards the overall cost before my copay was calculated. Anyway, so far so good guys! I put a blood sample on one yesterday and realized it was too small and started to pull the strip out so as to avoid seeing the dreaded error 5 (somehow it makes me less angry if I realize it myself before the meter does!) and to my surprise it actually got a reading before I could get it out! Woohoo! Less blood required as far as I can tell. Happy testing everyone!

I reported this to LifeScan and they replied back to me.

They said the new blue OneTouch Ultra strips are identical to the original black ones in terms of accuracy and performance. If you experience failed tests, make sure to call should call their Customer Service center at 1-800-227-8862 for assistance.

I’ve not been having any failed tests. Seems to use less blood than before. May just seem that way, but I am VERY happy with the new strips.

I agree with Big Al :slight_smile: Maybe they didn’t want to admit their other ones weren’t perfect :wink:

I spoke to a Lifescan rep at the TCOYD conference in Santa Clara this past weekend (11-Oct) and these new Ultra strips-- the light blue variety-- is their attempt to address the “no coding” features found in other brand-- without having to discard your current Ultra strip-compatible meter (UltraSmart, Ultra2, UltraMini, etc.)

If I recall, all of the light blue varieties come off the factory line as code “25”. Today, next week, next month, each bottle containing the light blue variety is code “25”. So, as long as you continue to receive and use the light blue strips, you’d set your meter to “25” and you won’t have to adjust it again (unless you happen to receive the older black strips).

As it was explained to me, once the current supply of the older black strips are depleted, they will be replaced with the newer light blue. May take some time for the older inventory to run out.

Good info there Gary. Glad to hear that Lifescan is getting to the point that we don’t have to code. Keep up the good work.

That is great news. I have noticed that they have all been 25 recently (the last 9 months or so). Don’t think I have had to code for quite awhile. These were all of the black ones. Maybe they started there, and then went to the new blue ones. Less blood is great by me.

The following came from Johnson & Johnson’s Q3 2009 Earnings Presentation:

I don't believe there is a significant change in the product line (mainly a branding issue as far as patients are concerned), although they note that the company has eliminated the GDH PQQ enzyme used in the older variety of One Touch Ultra strips, and the FDA recently mandated changes related to this enzyme that could lead to inaccurate dosage decisions for some patients (mainly those on dialysis). Although it impacts a relatively small group of patients, the FDA is mandating these changes on all manufacturers, not just Johnson & Johnson.

I just started using these new blue test strips last week. It seems like less blood is used! I am not seeing as many Error 5’s! I didn’t see any difference in price or code changes. So far so good.

My only thing is that they seem to be stuck together more then my old strips. Instead of getting one test strip I am grabbing around 3 or more at a time…then pulling them apart. Annoying really.

The newer strips are supposed to be more accurate because of the strip divide. My normal One Touch strip was 6.6 whereas the Blue Onetouch test was 6.2. Big deal. I could have gotten the same results from testing with my old strips twice within a minute. Blood in the fingers flows continuously. I did notice that the new strips needed slightly less blood. Yes, the new strips were 25. I didn’t mind changing the code. It kind of broke the occasional boredom of testing.

I didn’t check because our Insurance pays for my strips but I hope this is not the company’s reason for raising their price soon.