Origin of the smell of insulin

There’s something I love about the smell of insulin. To me, it’s the smell of survival, the smell of life, the smell of perseverance, the smell of progress, the smell of good fortune–the smell of diabetes.

But can someone tell me what, exactly, causes that smell?

If we took insulin from the pancreas, would it smell the same? Or is it some additive to the insulin that makes it smell like that?

I’m so curious, but can’t find the answer.

There is something about the smell that’s . . . . comfortable and familiar. As for the actual smell it reminds me of band-aids, not the ones today, but the ones from years ago. I figure the smell is so close to band-aids that it has to be one of the additives.

The cresol preservative ?

It’s the preservatives that smell (so I’ve heard; and you can confirm with a google search). Insulin from a human or animal (no preservative added) would not have a smell.

I think it’s the preservatives and (as an adult) I love the smell. Not so much when I was a kid…but yes, it does smell like bandaids. I always assumed it had to do with the preservatives. It’s the smell if life!

Why do so many people love it?

I absolutely can’t stand the smell of insulin. Never could and probably never will.
I hate eating without washing my hands after injecting my bolus, even if it’s fork/spoon!
Yes, I know there’s not necessarily insulin on my hands but as I said I just can’t stand it.

If I knew where it comes from and I is something that does not have to be, I’d ask them to make smell-free insulin!
So… if anyone knows…?

I remember that my Actrapid/Protaphane didn’t smell much different from the analog insulins I’ve got now… I may be wrong about that since it’s been years I’ve smelled those but in my memory it’s pretty similar.

It’s phenol.

Until about five minutes ago, I was with Anne on this. I’ve never liked the smell of insulin – it always smelled a bit like alcohol (the isopropyl/rubbing variety, not tequila) but a little more poignant.

Until now.

After reading the previous comments, I realize the power of that smell. The uniqueness of it. The relatively small group of people (us) who embrace what it represents and owe our lives to it.

So I guess I don’t hate the smell anymore. In fact, I feel the urge to take a huge whiff of Novolog right now.

(My wife still hates the smell, though).

I have been told that the smell is a preservative, in particular m-cresol.

BTW, most common reason for me to get the smell in large doses: Dropped insulin vial. Broken glass. Oops. Not a particularly happy smell for me, for that reason!

I’ll go with persertives too. Me personally??? I don’t like the smell of insulin.

each ml of Humalog has 3.15 mg Metacresol and trace amounts of phenol. besides other items.
No, I don’t like to smell it: it might start another autoimmune attack in me.
I was going to copy the warnings from the lysol bottle in jest, but maybe someone would take me seriously.

Leo that explains the smell it is definitively a phenol type smell.

Scott I know the sentiment of the wife not liking it. The second she smells the smallest hint it’s “Isn’t it time to change your set” even if the smell came from me changing the set :slight_smile:

The smell doesn’t bother me but the taste is awful. I got some on my mouth once after giving my daughter a shot and it is gross.

The response I get from my wife isn’t so analytical. It’s more like “ewww… you smell like insulin!”.

In my experience my non-diabetic friends like the smell. I do too but I can’t really pinpoint why. I also think in my experience the smell is a great thing to remember whether you took your shot or not…always sticks in my memory.

What’s used to clean bedpans after hepatitis poop?
Drumroll-ll-ll.
Y - E - S!

I love the smell too! Husband hates it when I spray some in the air getting the bubbles out of the pump cartridge. Something reassuring about it to me! Like the smell of comfort foods…

I like the smell of insulin also. I noticed the same smell with Byetta and Victroza. It must be the preservatives.

I think I like the smell of insulin for the same reason I like the rotten egg smell of natural gas. I work for a gas distributor and that smell has fed, housed and clothed my family for a very long time. It’s the same with insulin it keeps me alive and provides comfort.