Overcoming Food Dislikes

My parents never served Lamb, and the only times I had it growing up were on infrequent visits to houses of relatives. When served to me, it was poorly prepared, strangely flavored and at stressful times, a recipe for disaster in getting a child to like a food. But, there were other foods that I disliked growing up as well. I actually would only eat ground meats until I was well into my 20s. And I hated fish. So I overcame many of my dislikes, even as an adult. But, my wife had similar experiences with Lamb and as such, we have suffered a Lamb-free diet for all many years.

So last night, we made our first steps towards overcoming our aversion to Lamb. I purchased two beautiful lamb chops. They only cost $3.72. Since I basically have reverted to a nearly zero carb diet, meat is critically important and cheap meat helps. I am a good cook, even if I say so myself. So I prepared them carefully, rubbing them with salt, pepper, rosemary and garlic. I seared them at very high heat on both sides and then finished them to perfection in a low temperature oven.

As we sat across from each other. We told each other that it was prepared perfectly and that even though it tasted bad, it was really good. I hope that with repeatedly serving it, telling ourselves that it is good, that we will learn to like it. Lamb is after all plentifull, cheap and healthy.

What foods do you hate? Have you been successful learning to like a new food? How did you overcome your aversion? Did you use Ketchup? Is such an effort to overcome dislikes unnatural? If not, then why don't more people eat foods like these (http://www.tripbase.com/articles/weirdfoods/).

hmmm
don’t eat broccoli or the white sprouted stuff, i like it cooked and covered in cheese
i stay away from carrots, i will eat them but i’d rather have them covered in brown sugar
I will not be eating pig snout ever
no shark, it tasted weird
no lima beans, ew ew ew
Mochi is a acquired taste…
no potatoe chips, i like kettle cooked though

THINGS I WILL NOT EAT
i hate mayonaise and ranch BLEH, i love miarcle whip and wine vinagrette
no high fructose corn syrup if i can help it
don’t even let me smell,eat, taste peaches i hate them, i don’t like the sweetness (now i might eat a fresh one, doubt it)
and not thanks on cat food or dog food lol

Lamb is one of those meats that can be greasy and blech if not done properly. You must try lamb at a really great Greek restaurant, done up with rosemary, lemon and garlic. Yum!

Growing up, I could not abide pototoes. The texture of them made me gag. And I really tried. It might have been the way my mom cooked them - boiled to within an inch of their lives. But now I love them, roasted, baked, mashed, but still can’t abide them boiled.

I also hated tomatoes, turnips, parsnips, and liver. The flavours were more than my young tastebuds could handle. I love it all now, except liver, which I refuse to beleive is actually fit for eating - it’s like chewing on rubber erasors. Yecch.

Zucchini and all squashes. Yuck.

Lamb (like goat’s meat) has a peculiar taste and odor that if not cooked and seasoned properly, gives an unpleasant experience. I do understand how you feel.

I come from an Asian country that have so many “exotic” foods around. In the link you provided, Balut, dragon fruit and durian is of abundance! Unfortunately, I never ate (nor like) them for indeed one has to have an acquired taste for them. With the exception of the durian fruit…nowadays the fruit is made into candies and ice cream, I have tried them and honestly it can be tolerable. The smell of the fresh fruit, however, can scare a thousand ships!
The foods I hate? Okra is one (too slimy), with the exception of sashimi/sushi and veggies, I do not like anything raw. lastly, I do not like anything that has more than 4 feet like bugs! Euw!

We just love lamb! I agree with Maureen, marinated in olive oil, garlic, and herbs, grilled Greek style, YUM! However, I don’t like Australian Lamb as much as American lamb. I don’t understand why the Australian is so much cheaper than American here in the US.

Another great way to do lamb is in a stew. Marcella Hazan has a wonderful recipe for one with artichokes in her “Essentials of Italian Cooking” (a classic cookbook I love). I use canned artichoke quarters in this sometimes. I’ll give you the recipe if you’re interested. It’s pretty low carb.

My mother served lamb chops & marinated shish kebobs frequently. The gamey smell turned me off as a kid, but I like lamb now.

Hate: liver, lima beans, mayonnaise (unless it’s just a little in egg or tuna salad), okra (I’m with Teena–slimy), cooked carrots, cooked oysters (love them raw!) & tapioca. This is strange one, but I can’t stand the smell of ketchup though I love tomatoes & any kind of tomato sauce.

I’ve not gotten over my aversions. I’m a grown-up I don’t have to eat anything I hate–so there:))

I was a picky eater then and I still am, even though my Mom was and is a Good Cook. I hated (liver, any eggs except fried, parsnips, turnips, venison, fish/any seafood, duck, lamb, cows milk straight from the cow, boiled carrots, peas, waxed beans?, ketchup, horse radish and many others.

I used to eat a teaspoon of my diet dessert with each bite of those dreaded foods. Or I would wash the food down FAST with water. Or I would conveniently get a cough, go and get a kleenex and spit the food into the tissue and throw it in the garbage. I still don’t like those foods but I will have a tuna sandwich, some boiled/steamed baby carrots and turnips. (I won’t eat insects either).

offal (or innards) are a challenge to me in any great quantities.
hearts, brains and sweetbread (pancreas!) are a definite no no.

PS
Australia developed off the sheeps back (wool and meat) !
I’m in Australia, so am pleased you gave it a go.
Lamb suggestion: we use a good quality asian ‘garlic and black been sauce’ marinade (Lee Kum Kee Brand is tops)!

I will NOT under ANY circumstances eat BLACK JELLY BEANS!!!!!!! Yuck................... I will NOT under ANY circumstances eat BEETS!!!!!!! Yuck................... I will NOT under ANY circumstances eat COW TONG!!!!!!! Yuck..................

NOT EVEN IF I HAD A BLOOD SUGAR OF 10 mg/dl,
AND NOT EVEN IF THE DIABETIC POLICE THREATENED MY WITH A BAT…

NO NO NO NO NO NO…

LOL…

Brian,

You forgot the mint jelly.

Yes, I’ve forgot about liver… Unfortunately it’s said to be good for you too… LOL… The only way I was able to eat liver, was when my mom drowned it with unions, and I think some garlic… There aren’t too many seasonings you can use with liver…

I find it interesting that so many people have their own individual lists of foods they don’t like. But almost nobody has said that as an adult they overcame those dislikes. I certainly appreciate all the suggestions. Perhaps MarieB will post her Lamb stew recipe, although I do have a fear that if I am unsuccessful, I may disrupt my obsession with artichokes. That would truly be a loss. Several of you recommend Australian Lamb (I guess NZ lamb is substandard). I do think selecting quality foods and properly cooking them makes all the difference. And while I appreciate the mint jelly suggestion, my memories of early childhood lamb (which really should probably be called mutton) have permanently associated mint jelly with that early trauma.

I’m going to look for some quality lamb this weekend and continue the experiment. My theory is that repeated “good” experiences can drown out my older memories and associations. Based on the number of people who have said they have overcome dislikes and aversions this may just be another stupid idea of mine. But of course, I have lots of stupid ideas. At least this time there appears to be little potential for permanent damage.

Honestly, unless my doctor tells me that a specific food, has specific properties that can ONLY help with a particular condition (natural alternative), then there is no reason for me to overcome anything. In my opinion, if there’s no medical reason why I should have “said food”, then I know that their are millions of other tasty foods that are just as healthy as “said food”.

I always despised cooked green beans, and yet is was the vegetable that my mother-in-law served most frequently. I would eat it first just to get it off my plate so that I could actually enjoy the rest of my meal. I now eat green beans raw and particularly enjoy them with a spinach dip.

Cheryl

I grew up with parents that wouldn’t expose us to very many foods… And then, some of the foods they ate were beyond disgusting things for a child’s imagination, and their idea of exposing us to the food was more of a dare " I dare you to eat this food… " kind of thing. Needless to say, if the foods smell like a sewage, I’m not eating them, so sorry Mom and Dad… you can keep your dare to yourself.

The big thing about foods is that, usually, we ignore foods so much when we eat them, we take for granted all of it’s aspects. For us to like a food, we must also like: it’s texture, smell, appearance, as well as taste. People may promise me again, and again, and again, that a food will taste amazing… but if the other qualities are strongly unappealing enough for me to find the food repulsive enough to the point of being nauseated, then I’m not going to consume it. It’s as simple as that. Food has to be a wholistic experience.

For someone, basically, growing up with no vegetables, and hardly any reasonable semblance of well cooked seafood… I will say this: Always experiment with different ways of cooking a new food on your own terms and stick to the 3 strikes and you’re out rule. If you’ve made this food correctly, and in three different ways, and you still don’t like it… Don’t beat yourself up over it, and move on. Try other meats, perhaps. I myself love duck and venison. I’ve tried ‘tongue’ tacos, as they were made for me at a Mexican soccer event at my old job… and I was not told they were made with diced tongue meat… They didn’t taste bad, the texture was a little bit like rough steak, and yet… Could I handle and prepare such a meat, without gagging? Not very likely… I can barely handle preparing chicken, and sometimes I ask the husband to make it for me… If I could handle making tongue, I might eat it again… But don’t hold your breath.

Sometimes we just like foods mixed in things, and you may try that as well… I can’t stand lobster or shrimp prepared, and on their own… but mixed in some foods, it’s generally okay. On pizza, it’s like rubber to me… Deep fat fried it’s like greasy breaded rubber, to me (not to mention the carbs). lol Soooo… those are my rules of 3, I guess:

1.) Try it cooked (correctly) at least 3 different ways.
2.) Try it mixed in other foods, or as an ingredient in a dish, at least 3 different times.
3.) Take at least three bites each time.

Good luck. :slight_smile:

On a more positive note:

I can cook:
Italian, Australian, Vietnamese Food.

Today I went to the supermarket and will try a first for me after buying the Ingredients

Enchiladas:

Wholegrain Tortillas
Refried beans
Enchilada Sauce
Chicken Fillets
Chick Peas

NOPE NO LAMB AND NO SPINICH FOR ME! Never tried to like them!

Well, upon recieving additional guidance from the boss (she who must be obeyed), I did not buy Lamb this week. So instead, given I was given specific guidance not to get Lamb again “Yet.” However, nobody told me not to buy “MARROW BONES!” I am just itching to push the envelope.