Pizza - Carbohydrates and Nutritional Information

YUM! LOVE Val’s pizza! My heart goes out to those of you that have had to give up your pizza due to the D! I don’t know if it is because I am not a big eater, but my digestion doesn’t slow down when I eat pizza, no need for the extended bolus. If I hit the pizza buffet, with one of each dessert and ice cream, it’s a whole different story = ) then I do need to extend the bolus.

yes, w/out question. carbs on packages, carb listing on menus, carb listing on everything.
and, fat content, and whether there is sugar in the tomato sauce or not.

i need this info for 2 diff types of pizza: thin crusted and “regular” classic. i know that this will not always be consistent. i know that our needs for insulin/carb ratio, etc, but i would appreciate a ball-park suggestion, based on all your needs and successes.

times i have tried the dual bolus on my pump, i estimate i slice “regular” is about 45 gms at a 70/30 % over 2 1/2 hrs. this did not work at all. i went very low w/in under an hour, and then went super high later. someone suggested i try a 50/50 split over 2 hours. its so much trouble that i don’t feel like its worth having pizza in the first place. but i really love pizza.

S.O.S. please help w/ any suggestions. thanks!!!

I make pizza at home on a low carb piece of flatbread. You can put your own toppings on and really enjoy, my fave is basil pesto with raw prawn, cheese and olives. The prawns cook in 8 minutes (they are large) and it is totally delicious.

My friend @Phyl (I haven’t seen her around lately but she lives like 1/4 mile from me and we get together with some other local and not-so-local D folks occasionally) had suggested 75 up front w/ 25% set for 4 hours. As with so much with insulin, it seems to be hit or miss. I did a regular basal yesterday for about a plates worth of pizza including a chunk of deep dish, but was lazy and did a regular bolus that sort of went low and then high. Fortunately, we have leftovers so I can play around with it some more…

I saw a report about 7 months ago on MyGlu.org. It was a pizza study done at Joslin. I don’t think they’ve published anything yet but someone had written about his experience being in the study. There maybe hope for us pizza lovers. My problem is I love the deep dish Chicago pizza! Other problem is I don’t live in Chicago any longer and can’t find good pizza!

It totally is! And the really intractable problem is how often it is the food of choice for big gatherings–not just parties but business meetings, board meetings, just about anything where you need to feed a lot of people and not spend too much $. Not to mention the occasional night when you just don’t want to cook your own dinner. Why does something so convenient, not to mention ubiquitous to the point of being unavoidable, have to be so impossible to bolus for without a high-low roller coaster over the next six hours? Not fair!

i would chip in in a heart beat for the solution to this dilemma. if only it were one simple formula for everyone for every type of pizza.

I keep a packet of flatbread in the freezer, plus grated cheese. There is a jar of good quality tomato sauce of some kind in the fridge, a jar of olives as well - hey presto instant pizza once you have put it in the oven and got it all crispy. It is my go-to meal in times of not wanting to cook. You can add flakes of cooked chicken, salami, ham whatever else you might have. Beats those chain store pizza hut pizzas hands down.