Prednisone lowered blood sugars

Hi,

Last month I was on prednisone (60 mg tapering down to none for 24 days) for a severe poison ivy infection and my fasting blood sugars went from averaging around 150 to 94-110! I was warned that they would go up. Now that I am off the prednisone my morning bs is running in the low 200s. Through out this experience my diet and exercise have remained the same. Maybe it’s time to see an endocrinologist. But that will be an out of pocket expense. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I have never heard of BG going down due to prednisone, especially in one with D. Weird. Maybe your BG went down from being ill with the sever poison ivy?

My advice is to cut back on major carbohydrates: starches, grains, breads, pastas, rices, starchy vegetables, etc, until you have stabilized… and stick to things like non-starchy veggies, lower carb fruits such as berries, nuts, and lean meats and Omega 3… for at least 1-2 weeks… until those numbers come down. Your A1c is scary high (if it’s 10.5%), right now. Once you have stabilized more, you can experiment by adding more carbs (in very sensible portions) and testing with your meter to notice your reactions to meals. I wouldn’t even recommend exercise at that level… Just drink a lot of water, and avoid carbs at breakfast. Stick to eggs.

Thank you for the advice. I will try adjusting my diet and see if eliminating the whole grain bread and cereal, potatoes and corn on the cob will help.

Predisone usually messes up the BG a lot. Hope the effect goes away.

That is unusual. The only med that ever lowered my BG was an antibiotic. For 14 days, I thought I was cured:)

Please check out www.bloodsugar101.com. Seeing an endo to tame those high numbers would be helpful. You need a change in meds or doses. Some T2s are prescribed insulin when oral meds aren’t effective.

Wonderful suggestions from Lizmari. Eliminating high carb foods will definitely help.