Pregnancy leading to dialysis. I need information to help make decision!

I have been told for several years up until last year by just a gen MD that my kidneys wouldn't last if I carried a pregnancy. I went to see a kidney doctor last year for the first time (I should have known to do that on my own!) as advised by my new diabetes care team. He told me that it would be possible to carry a pregnancy with some damage but that needing dialysis and a transplant would still be a few years off. We changed my meds, got tighter control and now since being off the "good" fetus damaging meds my kidney function has dropped. He is now telling me as of yesterday that I will need dialysis at the end of a pregnancy. He is concerned but also says that whatever my husband and I decide he will help us with.

I don't want to hear how dumb I am being for even considering this but I need some information about what dialysis is like, what a transplant is like, how long did you have to wait for a transplant, etc. I am still considering my options but want to make an informed one before I give up the dream. I am 38 and trying to make the best decision for me which may not be the best decision for everyone. I would love to hear any information or stories you may have to help me. Thanks.