Pregnant and Terrified

I never planned on ever having children, but i got pregnant.Im34, type1 31 years. Im scared because ive had alot eye complications in both eyes which included laser surgies and many avastin injections in both eyes. i see eye dr every 2weeks! kidneys been releasing proteins. A1C hovering 7.4 for the last year. I do MDI. never been on pump. Am i healthy enough to carry and live thru childbirth?am i gonna go blind or on dyalisis?will i be able to live long enough to watch the child grow up? Im freaking out a little!!

Hi Danielle,
Type 1 diabetes and pregnancy can be scary. Here's my story: http://www.theflamingvegan.com/view-post/Diabetic-Vegan-Pregnancyhttp://www.theflamingvegan.com/view-post/Diabetic-Vegan-Pregnancy

Wishing you the best!

Hey Danielle.

I am in a similar situation as you. 24 yrs old, never planned on having kids, and recently found out I am pregnant.

My A1C has been hovering 7.4 as well and my endo said that although it is not ideal, it is still pretty good so DON'T freak out! Just work on getting it under better control.

There are lots of questions, lots of scary scenarios you are going to think about but you can only do your very best and take it day by day.

Talk with your Endo as soon as possible and start to address your concerns. I share the fear with you as well. I am terrified, but excited at the same time. I wonder if I am healthy enough to make it thru all of this OK and if my baby will be OK...

I wish you the very best.

Danielle -
I agree with Nicole - 7.4 isn't way out of the range you need to be in. You'll just need to start working with your endo and CDE closely to work on your numbers and adjust your injections. You might want to think about the pump and a constant glucose monitor as well - those saved my during my pregnancy!
But the main this is try not to get too caught up in stress and fear. Easier said than done,I know! But looking back on my own pregnancy, I wish I had been able to let that go more. All it did was raise my sugars and cause me a lot of strife that I didn't really need.
Good luck!

Hi Danielle-

I can definitely related! I have been diabetic for almost 20 yrs and was never in good control. We're talking A1c's in the 12-13 range and many hospital visits unfortunately. The technology just wasn't there back in 1995. Now the past yr and a half on the dexcom (cgm) and pump I was able to get my A1c down to 6.5 now currently 5!) in just a few months and was given the green light to get pregnant. I have protein in my urine and have had eye problems in the past as well so I am being closely monitored. I think the best thing to do as others have said is to get base line measurements of protein and talk to your doctors. They will be able to give you a better idea of whether it is too risky to continue the pregnancy or with hard work and close monitoring it is completely doable! I am crossing my fingers for you! Good luck!!