Premature Bolus Leads to Unexpected Chocolate

Lesson learned: never bolus until I've checked the bag of take-out food to make sure I've actually received all the food I ordered. Decided to treat myself to some less than healthy food today (junior cheeseburger & the tiny size fries at Wendy's). Bolused as I was waiting in the drive- through line, only to find out as I went to eat my food that the tiny size fries were nowhere to be found. Still bent on going down the less than healthy path, I bought some Dove Peanut Butter Promises to feed that extra insulin. Another lesson learned: Dove Peanut Butter Promises are yummy and only 4g carb/square.

Great title for a book, Shawnmarie!

I find eating out less than predictable in general and do so a lot less than I used to. At home I always bolus ahead 15-20 minutes but sometimes eating out it's better to just wait until you can eyeball the food.

I was at a beach resort in Guatemala and went for lunch at the restaurant at my hotel.The menu said "fruit and vegetable salad" so I pictured big pieces of various vegies and (carbwise) slices of fresh fruit. What came was a "chopped salad" (basically like cole slaw) which not only wasn't very appealing but also had almost no carbs when I'd bolused for lots of lovely tropical fruit. I asked for some crackers and ended up finding a really good restaurant at the restaurant down the road.

I also have a bad habit of doing things like ordering a vegie combo plate at an Ethiopian restaurant I love and, knowing there would be several grain items, bolusing generously. Then the food came and I was talking with my friend and unconsciously was eating around the more carb heavy items. Of course I went low.

Just a word of caution here: the analog insulins are fast. Food items like chocolate, peanut butter and french fries are really slow to digest. For the same reason these items are not good to treat lows. In most cases it would be better to inject in the middle of the meal or to treat it with a double wave/shot (50:50).

I NEVER BOLUS BEFORE SEEING THE FOOD.OF COURSE I TEST FIRST,OTHERWISE HOW WOULD I KNOW HOW MUCH TO BOLUS.I HOPE WE ALL LEARNED SOMETHING FROM THIS DISCUSSION.GOOD LUCK TO ALL

Yummy mistake Shawnmarie LOL