Anyone ever forget to bolus

well the other night I went to have a snack. one of those 100 calorie snacks, choclate covered pretzel ones, it was 17 carbs and I had about 1/2 cup of milk with it, so I took my bs and it was 146 , then entered carbs for snack and milk into bolus wizard for pump, then it gave me my estimate for bolus, so then I had my snack, about 1 1/2 later , while watching tv, my eyes got blurry, I was nausious, just felt like crap, so I took my blood sugar, OMG 501, the highest I have ever seen, checked keytones and YES, they were high, checked infusion sight, all seemed ok, checked bolus history, I NEVER HIT ACT,I did not bolus for snack and milk. it took me till the next morning to go below 200, all is ok now, but felt like an â– â– â– , it was my mistake, a dangerous one, I was just hoping I wasnt alone in my stupidity, so if anyone else has done that please share, it will make me feel better, Thanks

1 Like

Yep. I forget once-in-awhile. Nobody’s perfect but I hate it when I do that. Keep on keepin’ on!

1 Like

haha yes, I forget once in a while, but I am really good at telling if my bs is over 200 (for some reason I can feel it in my legs) so after I get done yelling at myself I just bolus for what I should have and then add a couple of units (catch-up is always more for me) anyway sorry about your mishap - don’t beat yourself up! :wink:

1 Like

I’ve done it - I forgot to bolus for dinner - paid for it for quite some time.

It happens. I hope you are feeling better? Please don’t worry too much about it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve done it as well…sucks rocks, and alone in this you certainly are not. Feel better!

1 Like

You’re not alone. Don’t beat yourself up when you forget to do something. I’ve forgotten to bolus or take a shot (pre-pump) on more than one occasion in these last 19 years. You’re not stupid; you’re human. Every day is a new one and all we can do is try to manage as best we can each day.

1 Like

sorry you had a problem,and I have to ask sorry for being stupid what is Bolus? I have seen it on here before but I don’t know? and also I have hit the KEYTONES ON MY METER ONCE I CALLED MY DOC HE SAID NO WAY IT CANT BE RIGHT?
i HAVE BEEN SO HIGH UP AND DOWN ALL OVER THE PLACE AND MY DOC SAYS JUST HANG IN THERE???

1 Like

You’re definitely not alone on this! I did it just two days ago, and ended up with BGLs well above 400, wondering why, until I figured it out. I did everything I usually do (test, calculate carbs & insulin amount) except the last part, and can’t recall what drew my attention away from what I was doing. I try not to do or think multiple things when I’m preparing to take insulin, so I don’t get myself side-tracked. Don’t pick on yourself too much. It is understandable how this can happen, because it’s something we do multiple times per day, 365 days a year, and it is done almost automatically. Take care.

1 Like

Good question - about what a bolus is. Insulin pump users tell their pump how much insulin they want to take and the pump delivers it - that is a bolus. Basically, it is equivalent to taking a shot of insulin.

1 Like

It happens to the best of us. Been there. Done that. Don’t beat yourself up over it.

I’m also famous for doing VERY accurate carb counting and forgeting to even start entering it into my pump.

Pumps vary on the alarms that they give. If you start a bolus and don’t finish it, the Cozmo freaks out and gives warnings. I like that. Minimed doesn’t.

1 Like

Been there. Done that. Far more times than I would like to admit. :frowning:

2 Likes

You are definitely not the lone ranger, kid. It may have been your first time, but I just bet it won’t be the last. You took care of the problem as soon as you realized what was wrong. I’m with everyone else, please don’t beat yourself up over this.

1 Like

I think everybody forgets to bolus every once in a while. It does suck to go that high, but you did what you could when you discovered the error.

What I really hate is the opposite: I started pre-bolusing about a year ago, and the week after I started I was at work and took a bolus with the intention of eating in 15-20 minutes. I then got called away from my desk for an “emergency” (according to the person that called), and after I took care of their problem, I just went on with my day - and forgot to eat lunch. About an hour later I was found sitting in the hallway outside of my office sweating profusely and refusing to cooperate. Luckily, someone knew to grab some candy and my meter, so it worked out.

I have never made that mistake again…

1 Like

This happens to the best of us. I’ve had a run of mornings in the last few weeks where I’ve forgotten completely to bolus even though I tested and added up my carbs on my calculator next to my plate at breakfast. Thankfully my pump is smart enough to tell me that I missed bolusing for my meal within an hour or so of when I eat, otherwise I wouldn’t know any different until lunch! Even before I was on the pump this happened occasionally. We’re not perfect people, we all make mistakes. Correcting them and moving on is the best we can do for ourselves, so feel free to follow the formula.

1 Like

I do it quite often, unfortunately.

1 Like

Yes, and I took my lesser amount of Levemir yesterday am that I normally take at bedtime!! HA no wonder I was high all day!

1 Like

lol yeah ive forgot to take insulin quite a few times…not just for food either. my pump broke a couple of weeks ago, so im temporarily on shots and ive forgot to take my lantus like three times already…then i wake up at about 400 and feel really stupid.
you are so not alone! lol
b

1 Like

forget? uhhh… what was the question again?

lol, yea… I just shake my head, call myself a dumb-somethingorother and correct

2 Likes

I did it the other night. I was cooking for the family and got everything ready, fixed my 7 year old daughter’s plate,then fixed my plate and sat down and ate. I did not realize that I had missed the bolus for about an hour and a half, then it was high enough for me to feel it. 284 mg/dl----YIKES.

2 Likes

I forget too often. Probably at least every other week. It helps that I check my sugar a lot. I know it is especially frustrating when I have treated myself to something high on the glycemic index. Before I was on the pump,. I injected myself twice for lunch while I was at work. Sometimes it feels like every tiny mistake a type 1 makes has huge repercussions.

2 Likes