Price of syringes vs pen needles!?

I have used vial and syringe for the years I injected Lantus and bought my syringes out of pocket. When I started MDI I had my doctor write a prescription for syringes. Because of some snafu at 2 different pharmacies I was having trouble getting a box of syringes. Is this the new toilet paper or gasoline thing?

Anyway I looked into pens carried by my drug benefit, the Humalog Junior Kwikpen and the Lantus Solostar. The cost on these is OK, but I couldn’t believe the price of the needles. The syringes I just paid for are $12.95/100. 100 needles cost is $72.80, my cost $22.50. This is pretty outrageous. The only needles I could find on Express Scripts was Easy Comfort Pen Needl 31 Gx3/16" Needle. That’s the gauge and length I am used to.

I am going to call Express Scripts to see if there are alternatives. There search feature is the pits. You’d think typing in needles, pen needles, etc. would be sufficient, but you have to put in the brand name exactly. I tried about 5 different brands before I got a hit.

Typing this I just remembered I did a search on Amazon and 100 Easy Comfort Pen Needle 31 Gx3/16" Needles is $15.00. I will probably order them from Amazon. They already provide our coffee. Oh and BDs are $9.78/100. Guess that’s the way to go.

yup, and some of us reuse our BD’s for up to about 50 injections so cost per injection is next to nil and a box lasts years

1 Like

Fwiw, @Luis3 check your local Walmart. In my area it’s THE cheapest place for syringes. Cheaper than Amazon, cheaper than EBay.

2 Likes

@Luis3 This may help pin down what you’re looking for: