Proud Flesh. (add quote here)

I really like those two Rachel, they are quite beautiful.

Hey Chris
That one’s really great! My grandfather taught me both the “Pennies make dollars” And “Whatever don’t kill me makes me stronger” I also have another one " It could be worse look around you and see what others have wrong with them and be thankful that isn’t you!"

why do I toss out pennies all the time?

HA! Keep them! 100 make a dollar!!!

Here are two more! My dad passed me a whole stack of quotes he collected and never used in his classes (he is a professor).

The real voyage of discovery consists of not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes”, Marcel Proust.

• how true, when having diabetes forces us to look at the world through new and different eyes. Especially for those of us who are diagnosed as adults.

Yesterday I dared to struggle. Today I dare to win.”, Bernadette Devlin.

“I’d much rather be happy than right any day.”~Slartibartfast, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

I love these…

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - discrepancies in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time, but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way
– Bernie S. Siegel, M.D.

Affliction comes to us, not to make us sad, but sober; not to make us sorry, but wise. – Henry Ward Beecher

By afflictions God is spoiling us of what otherwise might have spoiled us. When he makes the world to hot for us to hold, we let it go.
– John Powell

In order to laugh, you must be able to play with your pain
– Annette Goodheart

Pray to God, but row for shore
– Russian proverb

Emotion turning back on itself, and not leading on to thought or action, is the element of madness. – John Sterling

The man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. – Michael de Montaigne

If a man harbors any sort of fear, it percolates through all his thinking, damages his personality, makes him landlord to a ghost.
– Lloyd Douglas

In order to discover new lands, one must be willing to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.

To be able to practice five things everywhere under heaven constitutes perfect virtue… gravity, generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness, and kindness.
– Confucius (551-479 BC), Chinese philosopher

People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don’t believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can’t find them, make them.
– George Bernard Shaw

True courage is not the brutal force of vulgar heroes, but the firm resolve of virtue and reason.
– Alfred North Whitehead

There is no such things as no chance
– Henry Ford

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by each experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, “I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.”
– Eleanor Roosevelt

It is our attitude at the beginning of a difficult undertaking which more than anything else, will determine its outcome
– William James

The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.

The greatest discovery of any generation is that human beings can alter their lives by altering the attitudes of their minds
– Albert Schweitzer

Faith is to believe what we do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what we believe
– Saint Augustine

We began by imagining that we are giving to them; we end by realizing that they have enriched us
– Pope John Paul II

In order to be a realist you must believe in miracles
– David Ben-Gurion

The most important medicine is tender love and care
– Mother Teresa

It is a curious thing in human experience but to live through a period of stress and sorrow
with another person creates a bond which nothing seems able to break
– Eleanor Roosevelt

Life is a succession of lessons which we must lived to be understood
– Ralph Waldo Emerson

What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matter compared to what lies
within us
– Ralph Waldo Emerson

I run great risk of failing. It may be that I shall encounter ruin where I look for reputation and a career of honor. The chances are perhaps more in favor of ruin than of success. But, whatever may be the chances, I shall go on as long as any means of carrying on the fight are at my disposal.
– Anthony Trollope,

There are two things to aim at in life first, to get what you want; and after that to enjoy it. Only the wisest of people achieve the second
– Logan Pearsall Smith

If you are standing upright, don’t worry if your shadow is crooked

The smallest good deed is better than the grandest intention

Honesty in little things is no little thing

Responsibility gravitate to the person who can shoulder them; power flows to the one who knows how to use it

Anyone who angers you conquers you
– Sister Kenny

My favorite - I work in a church and have several volunteers who work in the office on a regular basis, it’s wonderful. Two of them brought me this quote and told me that it made them think of me - made my day, and I try to remind myself of it on a daily basis.
I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Maya Angelou

“The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don’t want, drink what you don’t like, and do what you’d rather not.”

• Mark Twain

This one’s not particularly inspiring, but I love it anyway. It’s apropos because the Santa Ana’s were blowing last night.

“It was one of those hot dry Santa Anas that come down through the mountain passes and curl your hair and make your nerves jump and your skin itch. On nights like that every booze party ends in a fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husbands’ necks. Anything can happen.” - Raymond Chandler “Red Wind”

This is great, like that Terry, love Nietzsche…
Come away o’ human child, to the waters and the wild, for the worlds’ more full of weeping than you can understand Yeats.

Life is but a walking shadow, who frets and struts his hour on the stage, it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing (this is all mixed up and bits left out but you get the gist. )

There’s nowt’ to be done without tryin’, ‘cept layin’ down and dyin’ Dickens.

Socrates is the king of quotations

After my first divorce I read some Nietzsche and really got depressed. I think Terry’s modification of him is more realistic.

Also I like:The race is not [always] to the swift, nor the battle to the strong . . . but time and chance do happen to them all" - Ecclesiastes 9:11

It is a bit like Thucydides lamenting that : Arrows would be worth a lot is they could separate the good from the knaves.

Few minutes ago, I read this article in a local free magazine called Common Ground: The article titled: “Doing Less created More” was reflecting about this paradox by the author of Zen Mind, Shunryu Suzuki

"You are perfect just as you are", then he adds “You can use a little improvement”.

Kind of annoying, I thought, but It got me thinking about the way of life we sometime choose to have, all the time busy trying to improve so many things, and how hard it is to find the balance between acceptance, fulfillment and achievements. I mean, it is great to “No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better” as long as you take the time to stop and celebrate life and how beautiful and valuable we all are right now.

joy

Pray as if everything depended on God, work as if everything depended on you

I saw in the news awhile back about a guy who collected pennies to donate to an organization and he made a ton of money for them, cause people gave them away easily! I can’t remember who or what organization but they showed like a street full of pennies (or something like that :wink: )

“So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I’m still trying to figure out how that could be.” - The perks of being a wallflower. :slight_smile:

and a bunch of quotes from Emily Dickinson poem’s i love her stuff!

remember the past, but let go and embrace the future

“Keep in mind that the true measure of an individual is how he treats a person who can do him absolutely no good.”
–Ann Landers

"We’re all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars"
Oscar Wilde